Any trailing spouses who became teachers?

BellaLuna

Any trailing spouses who became teachers?

Post by BellaLuna »

My husband is trying to get his first international teaching job in Special Education (secondary). We just started the process in May, so we basically missed this year's recruitment. We have three young children and he only has two licensed years of teaching experience, so I'm not surprised we haven't received any replies from the applications he has sent out. And with our young children and no savings he's not applying to schools which have a history of abandoning their teachers. Additionally, our goal would be for him to eventually work for the DOD. But I know that may take several years to get hired on.

We haven't applied yet during a recruiting season, but I'm just guessing he's not going to be snatched up too quickly. Anyway, we're trying to figure out ways to make us more marketable. He's considering adding an additional endorsement or two, namely ESOL and possibly Art and Language Arts. I know there are probably numerous ESOL teachers, but I've heard this is a good qualification to have when applying to DOD schools. Is this correct?

Another way we're trying to make him more marketable is for me to also become a teacher. I'm wondering if any other spouses have done the same. I've actually always thought it would be fun to be a Secondary Math Teacher. I could easily do Basic Math, possibly Advanced Math. I'm wondering which school programs people have taken when they recently decided to become a teacher, versus ones that starts out their education with a goal of teaching. I haven't taken any CBEST or other types of tests, though I suppose I could. I would need the program to be online, in case my husband does get an offer and we move overseas. I have a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting, and I worked for 7 years as an accountant for the US government. I'm currently a stay at home mom of three children. I'm also wondering if teaching Math would be the way to go or if Primary Education would be more marketable as a teaching couple. Thanks in advance for any advice.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My wife is transitioning into teaching after a long time in her profession.

Going recruiting as a Special education teacher with no other experience qualifications will be a limiting factor. If he were a HS math teacher, it is less of a factor.

For you, you will be more marketable as a math teacher, preferably able to teach the full MS/HS spectrum.

Calipro is one on these forums who is doing a teaching program (from anywhere in the world) and if he sees this he can give you more advice - or simple search the forum for CaliPro or perhaps Finedude (I think).

Good luck!
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

Hi!

You should totally go for it if teaching/living overseas is your dream. And yes, I second shadowjack that HS Math is the most in-demand subject area.

My husband started as a trailing spouse and completed this program: http://offsitegrad.pages.tcnj.edu/ It's not online, but it can be completed in summers, so you wouldn't have to move your family to accommodate it. Expensive, but it was worth it to us.

He got hired the as soon as he finished and is enjoying teaching so much!
BellaLuna

Post by BellaLuna »

Thanks so much for your replies and encouragement!

Shadowjack, which program is your wife using to transition into teaching? How does she enjoy it?

Teachermom, were you already able to find a teaching job while your husband was completing your education? Do you have dependents? Was it difficult to be hired on with a trailing spouse (and dependents)? Has becoming a teaching couple greatly increased your marketability. I'm curious how marketable teaching couples are with dependents (we have three).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My wife is doing the College of New Jersey global educators program (since we are already overseas). 2 summers to get certification. Not cheap, but effective!

Calipro is doing TeacherReady I believe. Check it out.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I was hired with a trailing spouse and two kids. Three kids--that's going to be a harder sell, I'm guessing. The school has to pay for 5 plane tickets, insurance, tuition, etc, and they only fill one position. It might be possible, but it's unlikely. You'll have better luck at the job fairs once you're both certified.

The program that I linked to is the same one that Shadowjack mentioned. It was a high quality program; my husband learned a lot. It's fun to work together--have lunches together, be in the same staff meetings, only need one vehicle, etc.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Teachermom

Let me warn you that in this post Im going to be a jerk.

First, yes ESL is a pretty in demand subject in DoDDS, its difficult to obtain because it has very specific course requirements and few people actually have the credit hours in ESL teaching. Like all DODEA certifications they are all dependent on having the right credit hours.

Now the jerky part, its not going to happen in the foreseeable future for your family to teach overseas. Your just way too expensive on a weak resume. The three kids is going to doom you. SPED is a good niche because only upper tier shools really can afford to have SPED programs, but 2 years experience is not nearly enough for these schools, you need 5 years experience at top tier schools to be competitive.

The problem is that your for all practical purposes "unworkable" as an IT
Math is far more marketable individually then primary, but primary is a better math for a teaching couple. otherwise you need a school with both a SPED teacher, again typically upper tier school who would also have a vacancy for a math teacher. Upper tier school generally have low turnover and when they do they look for the best. Which is the other problem with math, top tier ISs expect their math teachers like all secondary teachers to be qualified to do it all. You might have fun with basic math, but when you say maybe advance math, you lose me. You have to be able to teach calculus at a high level of proficiency. You cant just fake your way through it
Fourth, really without a background in math a recruiter is going to be nervous about your math skills without a background/degree in math or recent and successful math teaching experience.
The problem with primary is that you will never get certified in it, the primary market in the west is saturated with Uni trained teachers so going through a PB or ACP program will leave you spending a decade trying to get an internship so you can get certified. Its basically a non starter for a teaching career.

Your better off going with your strengths which is in business/economics and leveraging that into humanities. Expand your husbands qualifications with EFL/ESL and a primary certification, that way hes a special populations generalist at the primary level. Which schools usually reserve primary positions for teaching couples, and gives him a marketable angle at lower tier schools.