advice Please

teachaway

advice Please

Post by teachaway »

A friend asked for advice but I'm new to international teaching so I thought it would be best to post here. Friend is a newbie as well, first year working at an international school, 3 years back in the U.S. Unfortunately the school they thought was a dream turned into a nightmare with psychotic parents, and unsupportive admin. Admin is a nice person but makes haste decisions without all the facts. Basically, based on the false accusations of parents, demoted (but still gets paid the correct salary) the friend to teaching something they aren't qualified or interested in teaching for the second year of the contract. Didn't give any reason when asked by the teacher, just said, "You're not a good fit." Keep in mind, before the parent incident, teacher was getting stellar reviews and comments from the P. Friend is a very hard worker, knows their stuff, and absolutely loves teaching. The whole thing was shocking to several people at the school. When asked again, P made up a bunch of unrelated incidents just to justify the move. Seems like a bunch of lies.

Anyway, friend is worried because they believe that working in an area they have no plans of teaching in after leaving the school will negatively affect chances of getting a job anywhere. Plus based on the evidence (and lack thereof) there's the startling realization that principal just might not write a favorable recommendation letter. What would you do? I'm trying to provide some good advice and comfort to friend.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hmmmm. Without knowing where and what school it's hard to know what to say. Being the person I am, my advice tends towards the "get on with it cheerfully and do you best" end of the spectrum. If the salary is still coming in and admin remains "nice" then you could do far worse than get up to speed with something you aren't too great with, especially if you are getting valuable experience in IB.
I took an extra class for most of this year (basically helping out the school) and it was uphill but oiled up some rusty skills rather nicely.
As for psychotic parents I suppose they exist everywhere. If the admin is truly "nice" then they'll know all about this sort of situation (and maybe about this particular parent.)
If your friend is in a "for profit" school and the paycheck is still coming in then they should take it as a vote of confidence. If they are in a really good non-profit then maybe it really is a "poor fit" in which case, keep smiling, carry on, get the reference and go somewhere else.
Well, there's my optimistic take. Anyone else take a darker view?
sid

Post by sid »

I'm pretty hesitant to have an opinion on this.
If all has been accurately portrayed, there isn't much the friend can do except suck it up, do their best, and network with anyone else at the school who might be in a position to provide a reference. Be positive, contribute as much as possible, tackle that new subject as an opportunity, not a problem. And explain it in CVs and interviews as such 'With the changing needs of the school, I took on a subject which was new to me, for the good of the students'. Basically, sell it that he stepped in for the good of the kids, and how much effort he put in to make sure the kids were not disadvantaged by having a newbie teacher.
Or do a runner, which has its own problems, and from what you write doesn't sound like it would fit this teacher's long-term plans.

But proceed with caution. I gather you are not present to witness this, hence my hesitation to have an opinion (yet still managed to express one - hypocritical, eh?).
From far away, this could read very differently. A young, relatively inexperienced teacher in their first year overseas, has not had a successful year. He is telling stories of awful parents, unsupportive admin, shocked colleagues. Clearly this is a friend of yours, and you want to side with him, but he would not be the first young new teacher to encounter challenges and put responsibility on everyone but himself.

I have no idea who's right or where the truth lies. Some will say I am an admin type far too ready to say the teacher is wrong. I will say I get tired of people who are ready to believe any nasty claim about an admin type. Sometimes teachers are right, sometimes admin are right. Sometimes everyone is right to a certain extent.

Whatever the story is, his best bet is the same. Positive interaction, definitive steps for the good of the kids, effort, networking, listening to advice, etc.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote]Keep in mind, before the parent incident, teacher was getting stellar reviews and comments from the P. Friend is a very hard worker, knows their stuff, and absolutely loves teaching. The whole thing was shocking to several people at the school. When asked again, P made up a bunch of unrelated incidents just to justify the move. Seems like a bunch of lies. [/quote]

Not that it matters, but if this is true, your friend has no ethical obligation to the school. It sounds like admin panders to parents, as admin always seem to do, to the detriment of the teacher. Tell your friend to think ONLY of himself and if the opportunity arises, do a runner. This is what I would do.

Otherwise, stay at the school and do as little as possible for the school. Spend time further mastering his or her subject, learn a language, search the web for that perfect soul mate - kick back and enjoy the final year doing little to nothing for the school. Tell your friend to think of it as a big easy.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Yeah Sid said it really well.
I don't think there are THAT many schools where everything is a seething morass of mad parents and vile admin.
After a few weeks, most nasty experiences settle into the category of 'ancient history."
I am not admin either, but when you go abroad you ain't in Kansas anymore. You have to develop a tough skin and be wary of the culture biting you in the ass. You just can't handle things the way you might back home.
Many (not all) of the reviews on this site bug the crap out of me because they involve people whining about things they could have easily discovered in advance, with a bit of effort. I am not saying what happened falls into the category of whining, don't let a wrong step develop into a huge hate campaign where everything goes poisonous.
Whilst everything seems to be staying positive, KEEP IT THERE. Put a positive spin on things now, and in your future dealings with all concerned. Sometimes a tough experience early on can evolve into a good thing in the long run - assuming your friend is in it for the long run and doesn't want to just go home!
teachaway

Post by teachaway »

Thanks for the replies.

This is not an IB school but is considered one of the top four international schools in the country. It's tier two.

My friend definitely enjoys the culture, students, pay, people of the country that they are in.

The awful parent situation thing was expected but the principal's initial reactions to it weren't supportive, and they did not really ask the teacher what really happened. Oh trust me there are tons of stories about crazy parents at this school in other classes and how the admin and business office handled things unprofessionally.

My friend does have very thick skin, just seeking advice. Many other people at the school (friends) have said that they would've left or taken action against the P. Especially since the P has bullied and yelled at this teacher.

I will mention the advice about being positive and continue doing their best. It seems like the P wants to set them up for failure. I personally think it's a personal vendetta. We'll see. Friend was also wanting to find another international job elsewhere but knew that this school would have to be left off the resume.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

My response deviates from the other contributers. Your friend has been their a year and unless things change drastically hes not going to get a positive reference, and that could be the end of his IT career. Hes at the end of a year, and pulling a runner is an option that hes at the end of the time frame to do so.

You can explain a way up to a year of absence with anything from vacation to studying to family crises, etc. Anything longer then that is too suspicious. So he could just leave, remove the school from his resume, and claim he was on a beach in Thailand for the year, without ill effects.