Moving to Casablanca

Manumanu

Moving to Casablanca

Post by Manumanu »

Can anyone tell me about Casablanca and how is life for Americans? Can't speak other than English, and nervous about that!!! Hispanic looking which makes me not so obvious walking around the souk, good or bad?
What are the good experiences and how can someone enjoy life while working in an American school.
Any good experience with academies and schools in casa?
What is a good salary? Is housing (paid) clean and reasonable?
How much does it cost for a single person for the basics eating simple Moroccan food, taxis to go to malls and souks, and entertainment once in a while?
Any chance I can talk to someone who is currently working there? Any websites for teachers to have a chat, or maybe a way using this website.
Thanks in advance.
Anu
missy

Post by missy »

Being Hispanic will not make it harder for you in CAS
but you need to be able to speak some French to haggle in
the souk over prices.
The American school is well-resourced but your students
come from very elite families so you'll have to be careful
how you grade etc....(power and money =influence)
If you want a pretty good idea about schools in Casablanca
read the reviews on ISR.
Also, www.tieonline.com will give you an idea of salary, housing etc....
Housing is clean and salaries depend on experience.
Meals, taxis, malls etc... all depend on your lifestyle.
Casablanca is often romanticized but the reality is that this is a big,
polluted city.....Best of luck to you.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

How do you get information on wages from Tieonline?
What do you know about American schools?
Last edited by Manumanu on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Is $25k a year for a teacher considered a good salary? Everything else paid.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Are you planning to save money and then bring it back to your home country? If so, probably not. I remember in my first year as a young teacher ( around 7 - 8 years ago ), I got offered a position in Istanbul, Turkey. Although it has been one of my dreams to live and work in Istanbul, Turkey, the paltry salary of $ 17, 000 ( with everything paid for - cell phones, laptops, utilities, rent etc ) did not make me take the contract. Ultimately, $ 17, 000 would be an insult to let's say the years and finances I have put into my license....and then trying to save that $ 17, 000 when Istanbul is not as cheap as most makes it out to be, I just couldn't accept it.

I know that as educators, it's not entirely about money...but $ 17, 000? That's lower than minimum wage for a teenager.

Plus, judging from the comments to the school in Casablanca here, you have to reason whether $ 25, 000 / year is worth the headache of dealing with questionable administrators, possibly a handful of spoilt children that can make your life miserable, the hot weather, the traffic, the pollution. Casablanca is romanticised by a movie that was created in the 1940s. But the reality is far from it. Perhaps a vacation but not a few years of teaching. But everyone is different. Many seek adventure in romanticised ( note that I didn't write " romantic " bc Casablanca really is far from the romantic place it once was in the early part of the 20th century and not even the 21st century ) places which is great......but there comes a point in life where you have to make shrewd decisions in order to propel your career legitimately.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Manumanu

$25K is nothing, you will barely break even on that salary. Casablanca is not "Casablanca" the movie. The schools in Casablanca are always recruiting, have high turnover, and as far as experiences go rank pretty high on the list of nightmare schools.