contacting schools directly

Cheery Littlebottom

contacting schools directly

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Any views on this? It's worked for us in the past, but things change fast. I know some schools invite year round expressions of interest but has anyone tried this approach and found it worked against them?
Happy summer to you all! XX
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Go for it! I have never had a negative experience after contacting schools directly and even secured my present job by doing so. Good luck!
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Here's an ISR Blog that may be of some help to you.

The Art of Emailing International School Directors

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... directors/
teachit

Post by teachit »

I contacted a school I was very keen on the year before my contract at my present school expired. The new director came on board and was informed of my future. interest. So to make a a long story short I am headed there for the next school year! Contacting the school directly certainly worked in my favour!
Cheery Littlebottom

Yeah, we're hoping that will work for us too!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Teachit, did you contact the school before they had the job openings posted? If so, did you just send a message introducing yourself or your CV/references?
teachit

Contacting schools directly

Post by teachit »

They were hiring for other positions at the time but I contacted them anyway to inform them of my strong interest in working at their school.
They told me to contact them again the following fall, which I did, but my name and interest was noted.
teachit

Post by teachit »

@Crgallen 22
Sorry I didn't answer your question completely the first time. I sent my CV and references with the initial contact.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

There really isnt any negative to do a blind/cold application to a school. At worst they will just ignore it or send you a form letter that they arent recruiting. At best your building your network, and thats worth the effort and time.
Cheery Littlebottom

Hi There!
Phew, not allowing you to attend fairs or otherwise recruit? That's a bit dastardly!
In my opinion I would
a. get signed up to Search or ISS or both NOW (I'm assuming they'll at least give you a reference?)
b. Get yourself a simple website (like Wix) with a very straightforward front page. Picture of yourself, brief synopsis of career and job interests, link to a longer resume)
c. Network like crazy. Contact everyone you ever met at PD, conferences etc.
d. Go to the school websites and follow instructions for applying.
Good luck!
Cheery Littlebottom

Hi There!
Phew, not allowing you to attend fairs or otherwise recruit? That's a bit dastardly!
In my opinion I would
a. get signed up to Search or ISS or both NOW (I'm assuming they'll at least give you a reference?)
b. Get yourself a simple website (like Wix) with a very straightforward front page. Picture of yourself, brief synopsis of career and job interests, link to a longer resume)
c. Network like crazy. Contact everyone you ever met at PD, conferences etc.
Good luck!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

[quote="Cheery Littlebottom"]Hi There!
In my opinion I would
Good luck![/quote]

I am in the process of getting signed up with Search.. maybe I have the wrong idea, though- I thought you could apply for jobs directly through Search? Are you suggesting Search/ISS just for finding openings?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

[quote="Bellarex"]

I am in the process of getting signed up with Search.. maybe I have the wrong idea, though- I thought you could apply for jobs directly through Search? Are you suggesting Search/ISS just for finding openings?[/quote]

You can apply directly through Search, but most schools will do the bulk of their hiring at the Fairs as they often want to meet candidates face to face (even just to offer a job). I got my first (current) gig after the major Fairs, but the best thing about Search is that it holds the confidential references and schools can (and will) move rather quickly with offering positions as a result. Mine still called my supervisors to confirm their reflections of me on the Search file and even flew me to California for a quick meet and greet (while they were in the States meeting with other teachers they interviewed post-Fair to offer contracts) to offer me the job. All of that was impressive on their part. Not all schools would offer to do that, but if they do...I think it's a good sign. :)
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

[quote="vettievette"]...flew me to California for a quick meet and greet (while they were in the States meeting with other teachers they interviewed post-Fair to offer contracts) to offer me the job. All of that was impressive on their part. Not all schools would offer to do that, but if they do...I think it's a good sign. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I'd say so! :) That's pretty awesome that they'd do that for you. Makes you feel wanted, eh?