Transitioning from ESL to international schools

andybaxley86

Transitioning from ESL to international schools

Post by andybaxley86 »

My goal in the coming years is to transition into a career in international schools. As of now, I am on year 2 as an ESL teacher in Korea. I work for a great school and make good money, but the vacation time is terrible and the subject material doesn't inspire me.

My question is this- [b]is there any way I could plausibly get a job at an international school without first going home to gain teaching experience?[/b] I am not yet licensed, but I'm looking into doing the online TeacherReady program through the Uni of West Florida. If it can be avoided, I just really don't want to have to return to the states to gain experience.

If it is unavoidable, I may just have to climb the ladder in the ESL field instead, but this is definitely not the most attractive option in my mind.

Many thanks for your help!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Okay, so you have a long way to go I think. I used to be an ESL teacher as well (although I was certified), so I know how frustrating it can be. Your primary objective should be getting certified, and you will most likely have to return to the US to do that (at least for the student teaching portion). I do know that there is a program through George Mason University where you can get certified while working at an international school. 2 of my colleagues are doing that right now and will complete their contracts with 2 years of IB experience. I've never heard of the TeacherReady program.

You can get a job without going back to the US (after you're certified) but without experience it will most likely be in a 3rd tier school unless you teach an in-demand subject (Math, Science, Art).
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Have you read the forum? Plenty of info on this.

I am also a esl teacher in Korea doing the TeacherReady program and will finish it in the Fall.

You absolutely do not have to go back to the U.S. to get experience first.

I am certainly not gonna do that.

There are people at tier 3 International Schools without even a license.

With that said, you need to keep some things in mind.

1) Get a desirable certification / license (secondary math and/or science) If not get a elementary license.

2) You cant in anyway be picky / choosy about where you work. As a newbie your most likely gonna have to take the first / best offer you get anywhere in the world that will prob be at a lesser school in an undesirable location.

3) Use all your resources when hunting for a job. Job fairs, Search, and the other online agencies.

You will have to return to the U.S. to take your licensing tests. Keep that in mind.

Id personally recommend the UNI Job Fair as its more gracious to new and inexperienced teachers.

Good luck.
G.Singh

Post by G.Singh »

It is too bad that you cannot get a job in your place without having a license ..
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You need to get a teaching license if you want a career in international schools. Depending if you are still technically "resident" in a US state, you might be able to take the courses quite cheaply at a local state public uni and do at least some of it online. I taught ESL and eventually subject matter overseas without a license, went to the US to get certified (around 1.5 years) and went straight back overseas to an international school. No need to stick around the US to get experience as long as you are flexible about location.

No offense, but I think you are kidding yourself when you say climbing the ladder in ESL is an option. What ladder?
marieh

Post by marieh »

CaliPro - Have you already taken the required exams? If so, how did you find them in terms of difficulty? I am starting the TeacherReady program in July and will be taking the tests in October. Just want to have an idea of what i'm in for.

To the OP - My husband and I also used to work in Korea, and we've both decided to do the TeacherReady program in order to get our state teaching licenses. Like CaliPro said, you do NOT need to do your student teaching in the United States unless you want to. I'll be doing mine at a bilingual school in Thailand. The only part of the program that requires you to go to the US is the aforementioned tests.

Without the US teaching experience, you most likely won't be eligible for positions at the 1st tier international schools, but 2nd tier isn't out of the question, especially if you already have some experience teaching your subject.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

I have to agree with buffalofan on this. There is no ESL 'ladder'. You might become DoS at a language school, but that's really it. Teaching ESL is a dead end. Fun for a few years, but make a career of it at your peril (and this does NOT include licensed ESL teachers who work at international schools). And I say this as someone who did do ESL for two years, had a blast doing it, but also knew I didn't want to be 30 years old with no real career prospects and no chance to save for retirement.

There's a program run through the College of New Jersey where you can earn a NJ teacher's license and a Master's degree in three years. You do three summers of onsite classes in either Bangkok, S. Africa, or Mallorca, and during the school year, you do online classes. You have to arrange student teaching at an international school that will agree to either hire you or take you on as a student teacher.

It's a pretty good program. I know a few people who have done it and it might be worth looking into.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="marieh"]CaliPro - Have you already taken the required exams? If so, how did you find them in terms of difficulty? I am starting the TeacherReady program in July and will be taking the tests in October. Just want to have an idea of what i'm in for.
[/quote]

No, I will leave Korea in December and take the exams in January.

I dont think they will be that difficult. I am taking the Math 9-12 exam and a bit worried as I am currently reteaching myself from scratch everything I forgot in school some years ago! lol
andybaxley86

Post by andybaxley86 »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think those of you who say there is no ESL ladder are probably absolutely right. I was thinking of maybe shooting for uni jobs, but I can't see myself doing that into my 30s and 40s.

Calipro- I think I'm going to stick with the plan of starting TeacherReady this October. I am looking forward to finding out how you do coming out of the program. I wish I had an interest in teaching secondary math or science, but I really don't. I think I'm going to have to stick with elementary.
One question for you- did you student teach at the school you were already looking at, or did you find a spot at an IS?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@andybaxley86

I generally agree that there is no ladder in EFL/ESL. There is movement but with the exception of DOS all the movement is lateral. You move from language schools to public schools to universities, but in all those places its essentially the same job.

You are going to have a very hard time, and this is where my advice parts from the other contributers. Your going to find yourself very stuck.
First in the case of the Teach ready program, you have to do your field work (Internship) at an accredited IS. You cant do it at a language school.
Second, you really CANT come back to the states and do an ACP program. They require you to get a position with a local school district to do your field work, and for primary coming from an ACP program and not a Uni program you will essentially never get hired or placed. There is an over saturation of Uni trained primary school teachers.
Third, you will be working two jobs your day job at the IS doing your field work and then a night job to pay the bills, and youd have to find a school that is willing to train a primary school intern thats also accredited, and meets the training requirements AND find job in the same location. Thats a difficult enough task for certified teachers with experience who arent trailing spouses are part of a teaching couple.
andybaxley86

Re: Reply

Post by andybaxley86 »

@psyguy

I just don't know if I'm really as stuck as you're making it sound. Right now I word a job 1-9pm. Assuming I can find an IS in Seoul that is willing to take me on, there's no reason why I can't easily get those hours done in the morning before work. There have been many other TeacherReady folks here in Seoul who've successfully found placements (Calipro included), so I don't see why I wouldn't have the same success. My major concern isn't getting through the certification part of the process, it is finding a job afterward. I am willing to put in my time for a couple years at a less than desirable location, so hopefully this flexibility will work in my favor. I am totally mobile, ready and willing to relocate just about anywhere in order to get some experience under my belt.

[quote="PsyGuy"]@andybaxley86

I generally agree that there is no ladder in EFL/ESL. There is movement but with the exception of DOS all the movement is lateral. You move from language schools to public schools to universities, but in all those places its essentially the same job.

You are going to have a very hard time, and this is where my advice parts from the other contributers. Your going to find yourself very stuck.
First in the case of the Teach ready program, you have to do your field work (Internship) at an accredited IS. You cant do it at a language school.
Second, you really CANT come back to the states and do an ACP program. They require you to get a position with a local school district to do your field work, and for primary coming from an ACP program and not a Uni program you will essentially never get hired or placed. There is an over saturation of Uni trained primary school teachers.
Third, you will be working two jobs your day job at the IS doing your field work and then a night job to pay the bills, and youd have to find a school that is willing to train a primary school intern thats also accredited, and meets the training requirements AND find job in the same location. Thats a difficult enough task for certified teachers with experience who arent trailing spouses are part of a teaching couple.[/quote]
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="andybaxley86"]Thanks for the responses everyone. I think those of you who say there is no ESL ladder are probably absolutely right. I was thinking of maybe shooting for uni jobs, but I can't see myself doing that into my 30s and 40s.

Calipro- I think I'm going to stick with the plan of starting TeacherReady this October. I am looking forward to finding out how you do coming out of the program. I wish I had an interest in teaching secondary math or science, but I really don't. I think I'm going to have to stick with elementary.
One question for you- did you student teach at the school you were already looking at, or did you find a spot at an IS?[/quote]

What do you mean school I was already looking at?

I work at a hagwon from 2:30-10:30pm. As you should know hagwons and korean public schools are not acceptable for doing your field work / placement. I had to find an International School willing to take me on. I am probably gonna find another International School to finish up my program as the one I was placed with before school finished is not the most professional imo. Principal takes 2-3 weeks to respond to emails (last one I sent about a month ago in reference to finishing the program in the Fall still has not been replied to)
andybaxley86

Post by andybaxley86 »

Sorry about that, it was a type. I meant to say the school you are already working at.

Anyway, I'm going to start looking for an IS to take me on. Let me know the name of your last one so I can avoid it. Thanks!
marieh

Post by marieh »

[quote]First in the case of the Teach ready program, you have to do your field work (Internship) at an accredited IS.[/quote]

I don't think this is necessarily true. I'm doing my internship at a bilingual school that is in no way an international school (all the students are Thai). My mentor, however, is a licensed Aussie teacher.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I just found this on the TeacherReady FB page. Looks like you could also do it at a hagwon if you can find a certified teacher and you want to teach that age group or subject in the future.
I am thinking about doing this program from South Korea. Is it true that I could get my field experience from a private English Academy? (a hagwon) Or would I have to get the field experience from an international school?
Like · · 30 May at 00:28

TeacherReady Chris, as long as you are getting certified to teach in the same area you are teaching (subject and grade level) and there is a certified teacher who has taught for 3 years who can be your mentor at your school, then yes you can do your field placements there.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@andybaxley86

CaliPro isnt pursuing primary, and that makes a significant difference. There are lots of certified primary teachers with varying amounts of experience looking for positions, why would a school give you a classroom?

Really, nothing being said here is going to matter. Its summer, but call schools and sit down with the principals and tell them your pursuing certification in the Teach Ready program in primary, and see if anyones interested.

@marieh

The person you chatted with is wrong, its FL law that an EPP (Educator Preparation Program) must occur in an accredited school setting. A Hogwan doesnt qualify, you dont have to do your field work in an IS though, a bilingual school (or even municipal school) would be fine if it was accredited, and you were mentored by a certified teacher with 3 years previous experience.