EU Passport: How beneficial?

Trojan

EU Passport: How beneficial?

Post by Trojan »

I have seen this written before--certainly from Psyguy-- but I wanted to drill down deeper.

Just how valuable is having an EU passport for landing European positions?

And if it is valuable, why?

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

1. Easier to get you in

2. You are cheaper
sid

Post by sid »

With an EU passport, you will have to pay taxes on income if you work within the EU. Without an EU passport, in some EU countries you will not have to pay those taxes.

Not sure whether the school also avoids paying their share of taxes for teachers without EU passports.
andypandy

Post by andypandy »

@sid
[With an EU passport, you will have to pay taxes on income if you work within the EU. Without an EU passport, in some EU countries you will not have to pay those taxes. ]

Hi

I have just seen this post and wondered which EU countries you dont have to pay taxes? It's actually something I wondered about as I have heard a variety of different stories in relation to the payment of tax.

I know it doesn't help with the EU passport. I was under the assumption that schools organise the visas for you.

[/quote]
sid

Post by sid »

Everything depends on the country and the school.
Sorry, I don't have a list of which countries non-EU teachers can avoid tax.

Some of it depends not just on the country's laws, but on the tax agreement the individual school has with the country. An official embassy school might have a beneficial tax agreement, while an independent school has to pay full whack.

The less popular EU countries may have better arrangements. The UK doesn't need to do anything to entice qualified English-speaking teachers to work in the schools that teach the embassy and expat kids. But Ukraine, they might find that harder, and for the sake of supporting their economy by keeping diplomats and expat businessman happy, might provide a better deal to entice teachers.

Best to keep your eye on all of Europe, apply for posts that strike your fancy. and inquire about pay and conditions as you go along.
National

Post by National »

One thing in response to Sid's last post -- Ukraine is not an EU country, nor based on its current politics, will it be any time soon.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

The EU passport is beneficial for acquiring positions in certain countries like Portugal, Italy, and Spain, where almost no school will hire you without it. Countries like France and Germany are more likely to hire non-EU teachers. Eastern Europe is more open to non-EU passport holders as well.
sid

Post by sid »

Serious egg on my face.
Eggy Sid, the next great dessert?
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I also have both U.S. and E.U. passports. I think if you are a U.S. citizen, and you want to work in Europe, it's worth cannot be overblown. It basically gives you a free pass to do so with no paperwork involved, or very little if your other passport is not the specific one for the country where you get a job. Then, all you need to do is apply for residency.

I landed a job in Europe, starting in August, and I have no visa paperwork to do. The amount of time and money saved is incredible.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I forgot to mention, it's kind of nice when you enter an EU country using the EU passport and they hardly even look at it or ask you any questions... maybe they should ask questions, though.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Thanks for this ongoing discussion.

I knew that non- EU teachers, indeed, are hired throughout Europe, but I was curious as to whether having one would give you a leg up in hiring. Sounds like the answer is "sometimes". Or "maybe".

Could it ever work against you?

I know getting all the visa BS is a pain for both teacher and school. I didn't know if it factored into hiring decisions, like I know dependents and a teaching spouse often do ( often trumping ability or experience).

You mention that US citizens, that's me, don't pay the taxes? Sometimes? Does that mean that the tax numbers on Search, aren't always applicable?

I hadn't thought that the EU passport could actually work against you, monetarily. That ws an interesting point.
sid

Post by sid »

Could it ever work against you? Yes. In some schools, those special tax agreements with the country apply only to those without EU passports. If you have an EU passport, the school will have to pay its share of taxes on your salary, as well as you having to pay your own share. In an ideal world, this wouldn't matter, but in reality, if the school is looking at a couple candidates, both relatively equal in quality, but one of who they'll have to pay 20% or more tax on, well, that could be the kicker. Many schools are operating on very tight budgets, and that 20% either evaporates to the tax man or stays in the school to be spent on resources and PD.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Weighing in on this again.

Foreigners (non EU holders) are typically taxed on their EU earned income regardless if they hold an EU passport. Countries like Italy that have a various tax treaties give a certain time period of reduced taxes (in Italy it averages 10% over your first 2 years, then rises to the standard 40%)

One reality most ITs neglect is that the EU and WE have lower tier schools like anywhere else. An EU passport isnt going to make much difference for a top tier school, but at the 2nd tier schools etc, many WE countries simply wont or cant touch you if you dont have valid working papers to work in that country. Since the lower tier schools comprise a larger portion of schools your more marketable the easier it is to get you in.