Why Leave America

Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Working in New York you will be teaching students with low socioeconomic backgrounds which makes your day a lot longer and more challenging. Be prepared to be sworn at and sometimes it can be unsafe which requires you a lot of patience and training on how to react to your students. You may be teaching students who were moved from school to school to school due to behavior and you are still responsible for their progress and will be accounted for how well they do. If a fight broke in your class and you overreact or underreact you are looked at and reevaluated. If students don't meet certain benchmarks, you are a bad teacher disregarding that you just got some of them and this is their 5th school for this year only. My point it can be very stressful.
Over 100k a year seems unusual, even if you got that you will pay half taxes. On the other hand, it is definitely worth trying and I hope you are the one suitable for such challenge. These students can be helped and need someone who is there to help them and not the money, otherwise, 100K will not help you make it. I did it and made a difference. I am proud of that and it was a rough ride. If you think you want the job for the money, you will not make it. You have to have the passion to help needy students who had multiple schools and inconsistent home life (sometimes foster homes).
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

That is not really an outrageously huge salary for NYC. Anyway, in my opinion the outrage in the US is the large salary for admin. Especially superintendents and assistant superintendents. At least in Texas, you want to make money in education you become a supt. or an athletic director/head football coach. The teacher in the classroom is where the rubber hits the road and if you want great results, pay them accordingly. I do not like the "I'm not in this for the money" bit. I am. OK, life transformation and being a super teacher is job one, but pay me well....I will not complain.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@FrenchGurl

I apologize for the other contributors on this forum, who apparently, with the end of school approaching or having already arrived, have lost their perspective.

$125K with another $25K possible bonus for a total of $150K is an UTTERLY AMAZING salary and opportunity for a newly minted FIRST YEAR TEACHER just out of University. The scenario that someone actually wants to hire you just out of school in a teaching field i assume based on your other post is "French" and willing to pay ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS to do so is something to be proud off. My fellow contributors have been on their high clouds a little too long, and regretably have not peaked over the sides at the mere mortals just getting out of university in a depressed job market, with even fewer prospects for a language related degree and educator qualification. Some of them at top ISs in places like Japan didnt get their right out of school. They (SHE) worked A LONG TIME building a resume and teaching experience and credentials to get into the position they (SHE) is in. No one was offering any of them anywhere near ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS to teach their first year out of university.

Again, please accept my apologies, on their behalf.

I do however agree with the general consensus, that that level of salary is very unusual and rare. Most american teachers start out at around $35K-$40K a year, and includes medical insurance. They dont get housing packages or any other allowances typically.
FrenchGurl

Post by FrenchGurl »

The New York school and I were unable to reach an agreement. Thank you, too all of you that responded.
mbovi

Re: Comment

Post by mbovi »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@FrenchGurl

I apologize for the other contributors on this forum, who apparently, with the end of school approaching or having already arrived, have lost their perspective.

$125K with another $25K possible bonus for a total of $150K is an UTTERLY AMAZING salary and opportunity for a newly minted FIRST YEAR TEACHER just out of University. The scenario that someone actually wants to hire you just out of school in a teaching field i assume based on your other post is "French" and willing to pay ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS to do so is something to be proud off. My fellow contributors have been on their high clouds a little too long, and regretably have not peaked over the sides at the mere mortals just getting out of university in a depressed job market, with even fewer prospects for a language related degree and educator qualification. Some of them at top ISs in places like Japan didnt get their right out of school. They (SHE) worked A LONG TIME building a resume and teaching experience and credentials to get into the position they (SHE) is in. No one was offering any of them anywhere near ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS to teach their first year out of university.

Again, please accept my apologies, on their behalf.

I do however agree with the general consensus, that that level of salary is very unusual and rare. Most american teachers start out at around $35K-$40K a year, and includes medical insurance. They dont get housing packages or any other allowances typically.[/quote]

Psyguy, who are you talking about? Who's they (SHE)?
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="FrenchGurl"]The New York school and I were unable to reach an agreement. Thank you, too all of you that responded.[/quote]

You mean...they didn't hire you upon interview? So to answer your question, that's why people leave America to go to other places.
FrenchGurl

Post by FrenchGurl »

There was only a short interview. The school could only hire teachers with American working papers, and they could not sponsor a visa for a teacher with a French passport.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@mbovi

YOU is "She", On 3 June you wrote

"In my current situation, I am making around $ 90, 000 NET...and living abroad in one of the most fascinating cities in the world with many countries at my arm's reach for travel.
* So by virtues of your example, not only am I making MORE than you ( financially ), but I am living abroad in a foreign country with all the wonderful moments it has to offer."

Your resume and FrenchGurls resumes arent even comparable. Youve been in education how long and coming from supervising how many hundreds of subordinates and managing how big of a portfolio and budget?
FrenchGurl is a new college graduate who aside from school has nothing else to her resume, comparing your success and scenario to her is both disingenuous AND cruel.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Correction 1 : Last I checked, I still had an Adam's apple and a ding dong.

Correction 2: I just graduated from Teacher's College around 7 years ago. Upon graduation, I received a hefty package at one of the top schools in Japan. I'm also, only 32.

Once more, you have entertained me. Please keep on coming back to the forum to entertain me further.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@mbovi

I always assumed you were a female, my mistake and my apologies.

No school in Japan gave you ONE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year salary out of Teachers college.
Further your teaching career was a second career, from which you had extensive experience prior to entering the teaching profession. FrenchGurl is just out of college starting her FIRST career, your experiences are not comparable.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Thanks, PsyGuy, for having the initiative to apologize for everyone else on the board.

When will you be apologizing for your arrogance, misinformation and sexism? Or do others have to do that for you, given your recent activity?
mbovi

Re: Comment

Post by mbovi »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@mbovi

I always assumed you were a female, my mistake and my apologies.

No school in Japan gave you ONE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year salary out of Teachers college.
Further your teaching career was a second career, from which you had extensive experience prior to entering the teaching profession. FrenchGurl is just out of college starting her FIRST career, your experiences are not comparable.[/quote]

Correction 1 : $ 100, 000. Not $ 150, 000. I believe you are thinking of Frenchgurl's quote on the $ 150, 000.

Correction 2 : Last I checked, Frenchgurl DID NOT get the job that pays $ 150, 000 in NYC. So yes, in that respect, her experience and my experience in regards to the education in career is NOT comparable. I did BETTER.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@mbovi

1) Yeah, no school in japan, or after teachers college was offering you $150,000, they offered you a $100,000 which is LESS then $150,000. Since $150K is higher then $100K, then no FrenchGurl wins. She had schools paying more then you interested in her.

2) No, its not comparable thanks for agreeing with me. You were not on your first career out of teachers college, you already had a very marketable resume with applicable skills and experiences. FrenchGurl was being considered for a $150K position on her FIRST career, with no prior experience.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

@ PSYGUY

She ONLY wins if she ACTUALLY DID get the job at $ 150, 000. I won by ACTUALLY getting the job at $ 100, 000 ( net, by the way ). So, in actuality, I am still $ 100, 000 richER for it ( and rising ) because after all $ 100, 000 is MORE than $ 0. Offering and actually getting the position are two different things. I hope that CLARIFIES it for you because I know that you have great struggles in understanding simple things.

I'm so glad though that I am getting under your skin, Dave. You make it so easy.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@mbovi

No the standard is $150K INTEREST in their first career, not offers. FrenchGurl has one you have none. 1 > 0.