Why Leave America

FrenchGurl

Why Leave America

Post by FrenchGurl »

I recently received an invitation to interview with a school in New York City, the position offers a salary of $120,000 American dollars. Why would American teachers leave America when you have salaries that high? Is the attraction of living in a foreign country so strong that you would give up that amount of salary? It seems foolish with the potential of making so much money that anyone would leave.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Clearly you've made up your mind on this. You're obviously fishing for an argument you can counter and hoping that people will congratulate you on your potential salary, which you mentioned four times in four sentences. Since you already believe that anyone who answers differently is "foolish" and that money is your end game, that's all the answer you need.

Good luck with your interview.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The short answer for many American teachers is "yes, the lure of foreign countries and that experience is that strong."

In addition, I think a lot of us, for a variety of reasons, are able to save more overseas, even if the compensation number is lower. Not to mention the travel and other lifestyle differences.

And really, the number you quoted is FAR from a typical teacher salary in the US. FAR! More like half that, on average.

Lastly, depending on your situation--age, marital status, children, debt, etc-- you don't always make decisions based only on how much money you make.

New York would be fun though. I imagine a good chunk of your pay will go to tax, housing, and the high cost of living in NYC, another thing Americans sometimes seek to avoid in working overseas.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Do you think that is an average salary? If you do, you really need to do some research. I've heard of a few schools in NY offering huge salaries in an attempt to see if larger salaries improve the quality of teachers and student performance. So far, the numbers show that higher salaries do not improve student performance but have enriched some teachers.

The starting salary for a teacher in my home state is about $31k year. 8 years and a masters will get you around $39k. If my home state offered $120k, I may not be teaching abroad right now.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Congratulations on getting such an outstanding offer.

The average salary for US public school teachers last year was $55,418. South Dakota had the lowest average ($38,804), and New York had the highest ($73,398). Of course, starting salaries are much lower... Montana, for example, has a minimum starting salary of just $26,734. For an American teacher who's paid his own way through university and owes $30,000 or more in student loans, that's not much money.

Besides, as you said, there are other reasons to move abroad. I don't enjoy teaching in a highly regulated system that advances or retains elementary students solely because of their performance on pass/fail standardized assessments. Also, there are no librarians left in my entire district, because we can't afford them. Time to move on.
RUCTeacher

Post by RUCTeacher »

If I made $120,000 per year I wouldn't be considering leaving. The highest paid in my school district don't even make that much. After 10 years I make about 50,000 and I work for one of the highest paying districts in my state.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The salary might seem high, but does it also include in it your housing allowance, flights, etc? In that case, after taxes, your salary would not be as great as you believe. NYC is expensive to live, especially for housing.

If I was offered that to teach at an international school in NYC, I definitely would.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

French Gurl, what state is this in?
$120,000 for teaching?

Hard to believe that.
Danda

Post by Danda »

@higgsboson:
I could be wrong here, but I think New York City is in New York state.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

1. The $ 120, 000 / per year you quoted is not the norm. Don't forget the taxes and don't forget that you will be living in NYC...IF you even get the job.

2. You can make that much...in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and some northern European countries.

3. It's not always about the money. Living abroad actually mentally and emotionally enlightens you.

4. In my current situation, I am making around $ 90, 000 NET...and living abroad in one of the most fascinating cities in the world with many countries at my arm's reach for travel.
* So by virtues of your example, not only am I making MORE than you ( financially ), but I am living abroad in a foreign country with all the wonderful moments it has to offer.

So...no, why would anyone want to stay in the US or North America for that matter to teach?
Last edited by mbovi on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Post by Max »

I am at the top of the pay scale in my state/district in California at $82,000 and I'm leaving because it just doesn't cut it after expenses. Taxes and other deductions take a large chunk of that. Then deduct another $2,000 for housing and another $1,100 for full time daycare and that really adds up. Not to mention that gas to drive around costs a few hundred a month too. Let's not forget the addition of paying partially for benefits that came about recently in addition to pay cuts and furlough days due to continuous budget cuts. I haven't even started to add on utilities, food, sports for the kids, clothes, and any travel. $120,000 for a teacher, now that would be nice but it isn't happening where I am at.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I left my teaching post in the public system in Canada in 2006. Made over 104,000 a year gross, paid 18.5% income tax roughly. That was with a masters degree :-)
euxpat

why not?

Post by euxpat »

Why leave the good ol' USA?

-Life's short the world is huge, why not see as much as we can, while we still can?
-I get bored doing the same thing year on year, I think I have ADD!
-it's very challenging & stimulating moving around, keeps the alzheimer's at bay!
-teaching to the test.....no thanks.

But it's a good thing more people aren't doing it, otherwise the competition would be fierce for jobs!
danny514

Post by danny514 »

Another factor to consider is tuition for your children. In New York City, most people who can afford it send their kids to private school, which costs in the neighbordhood of $30,000 per year. I don't know too many details regarding the public school system in NYC, but I'd wager its far below the quality of a top-tier international school. So, if you have two kids, and don't trust the public school system in NYC, you'll end up paying half your salary just for your childrens' education.
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

http://www.tepcharter.org/

That is the school that FrenchGurl is speaking of. It's not the norm and their results are as of yet unproven.

And whomever said that higher salaries do not lead to an improvement in student achievement doesn't get the full picture. It's high salaries to attract a higher quality of teacher. I invite you to read about Finland's education system.

The way that some of you speak of yourselves is sad. You're educators. The most nobel profession on earth. And yet you devalue your self worth because you think so unworthy of your abilities. Change your thinking and you just might change the world.