Demand for certified Singaporean teacher?

emma26

Demand for certified Singaporean teacher?

Post by emma26 »

I'm a certified Singaporean teacher with a degree and a postgraduate diploma in education looking to land a teaching position in either Shanghai or Beijing. I would like to know what are the chances of a Singaporean teacher receiving an offer from an international school in either Shanghai or Beijing, given that I'm not a native speaker of English. Will it be an disadvantage? I have three years of experience teaching English and Social Studies in a public school in Singapore.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Emma,

do you have IB teaching experience? How many years was your teacher training? Was it after completing a BA or BSc?

The best way to find out whether there is a market for you is to start putting out applications; and as a relatively new, non-North-American/UK teacher, this is the time to do it.

Understand that 99.9% of schools that are interested in you are likely to not be great schools - but they will be in China!

Good luck and keep us posted :-)
emma26

Post by emma26 »

Hi Shadowjack, thanks for your reply! :) My teacher's training is after my BA, it was a one-year program to certify me to be a secondary school teacher in Singapore. I do not have IB training but with three years of teaching experience.

I'm really interested to teach in China for the next couple of years. But am really curious about my chances as a non-native speaker of English. Does anyone know what are the preferable criteria that international schools are looking for in China? Will great appreciate the inputs :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Emma,

you are welcome. To answer your question about criteria, some schools demand you are certified with 5 years of teaching experience. Others just want you to be a warm body with certification. Then there are oodles in between.

If you are targeting Beijing and Shanghai, you will find both types and everything else in between.

As I said, the best thing to do is start doing your google searches, organize your data, get your ducks in a row and start sending out applications. It is late in the year right now, but I daresay some of the "warm body with certification" schools will still be looking now.

Good luck!
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I personably believe a Singapore certified math teacher with singaporean experience is better than the Math teachers produced in the western systems. Since the attempt to emulate the Singaporean system poorly, and really seem to be making things up (My experience in teaching college).

However, a lot of schools are specific about Western accreditation. If you can teach university, then you will be getting a better deal, as they look at actual knowledge. I am referring to actual tenured lecturing positions, not the crappy els slave labour.
williamjacks01

Sales Management Training

Post by williamjacks01 »

The Sales Foundry is a California-based sales training and consulting firm focused on helping sales teams across America and the social selling webinars.

http://thesalesfoundry.com/