Demand for social sciences (IB humanities) teachers

panta_rhei

Demand for social sciences (IB humanities) teachers

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi,

I'm currently thinking about how to diversify my skill set in order to increase my employability in the future. There are two questions that I have regarding this:

1) I came across a few comments in the forum that the demand for social sciences teachers (IB humanities) in general wouldn't be that high. How can this be the case? If I look at the exam statistics (see link below), then group 3 (humanities) is the group with the largest number of exam takers in the IB diploma program (101.259 in 2012 out of which approx. 40,000 are in history). Based on that I would assume that it is the group with the highest demand for teachers. Can somebody clarify?

http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/

2) My background is in Economics and I'm planning to do a PGCE next year which would qualify me to teach both Economics and Business Studies. My passion lies primarily in Economics and not so much in Business Studies. So I'm thinking about getting qualified to teach another subject within the IB humanities group. I'm particularly interested in history, psychology and ESS. Since the latter seems to belong more to the sciences rather than social sciences, my background in Economics would probably not make me an ideal candidate. Hence I'm left with history and psychology. Would a masters in global history or social psychology qualify me (or rather make me an attractive candidate) to teach history or psychology respectively, additionally to Economics?

I appreciate your advise.
D. Vader

Post by D. Vader »

A few things to consider when looking at the statistics you've cited. First, keep in mind that while history has the largest group of candidates for Group 3, it is also a subject that is required for most students for graduation purposes in the United States. Given the fact that the IB has expanded significantly in the US, those numbers are a bit skewed when you compare them to international schools. That said, history is still a very popular subject and is found in most international schools, but unlike US schools that may have six to eight teachers teaching multiple sections of history, many international schools may have only small number of history instructors who may teach a few sections of history and an additional social science or two--therefore, demand for them may not be as great as your statistics may indicate. For example, I know one teacher at a smaller international school who teaches the entire 9-12 Social Studies curriculum. As long as she doesn't leave, that school does not have to go looking for a high school history teacher.

A second factor may be the "global mindedness" of social studies teachers in general. I really don't know how much stock to put in this, but I've been to a few job fairs and always hear about social studies teachers being "a dime a dozen" because of the "global nature" of the courses they teach. In other words, since they teach about the world they're more apt to go out and see the world. Again, I don't know how much of this is actually true, but it "feels true" when all one sees at job fairs are social studies teachers. Of course, a greater number of social studies candidates means more competition for jobs.

As to your second query, I think your background in economics will make you a very strong candidate since both Econ and Business Studies seem to be growing subjects within the IB. I also think students who are more math oriented or who struggle with the English language are more attracted to the theory, graphing, and measurement found in Econ rather than the emphasis on essay writing inherent in history. I think your second cert area should be history since it still remains a core subject in most international schools--that, in combination with economics, ought to make you very competitive.

You did not specify if you had any actual teaching experience, IB or otherwise. This is also a huge factor in your regards to employability. Recruiters, at least at first, tend to interview those with IB experience over those who do not However, IMHO and all things being equal, go for the history cert to combine with your economics cert.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi D.,

Many thanks for your elaborate response.

Sorry, I didn't mention my background. I have a BA in Economics and worked for two years at an investment firm upon graduation. Now I've been teaching Economics at an international oriented school in India for the last 1.5 years (relatively young and small school, not IB or IGCSE/A-level, but instead CISCE affiliated which is one of the better national boards, kids come mostly from affluent backgrounds). I'm planning to do a PGCE in the UK next year.

So you would say that Econ/BS and History would be a relatively strong combination?

Would a Masters degree in History on top of my BA in Econ be sufficient to teach history additionally or do schools have a strong preference for teachers with a Bachelors degree in history?

What are your thoughts on Psychology? It also seems to be a very popular subject both in the IB DIP and A-level curriculum. Though I probably won't be able to do a Masters in Psychology without having an accredited Bachelors in it, so the only option would be to study some kind of hybrid like social psychology. Would that "qualify" me?
kuwaitikid

Post by kuwaitikid »

Good news: you are eminently employable. I've just received ten offers of employment, offering the above combination of subjects(Economics/Business Studies and History). A BA in Economics is especially desirable - more so than Business Studies.

What you now need, more than anything else, is IB and History teaching experience. What you don't need is an MA in History or any other subject for that matter; they can always come later.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi kuwaitikid,

That is very impressive. So all of the offers were for that specific subject combination (Econ/BS + History)? What's your background, if you don't mind sharing? Were you teaching the same subject combination before?

So in order for me to get history teaching experience you don't think I would need an additional degree in history?

Thanks.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Panta,

your best bet is to get your PGCE - do a double in History and Economics (if you can teach Econ, you can teach Business and Management. That gives you three IB DP courses you can teach.

Then get out and find a school which will give you the IB training.

However, be aware that the decent schools, unless truly stuck, will not be hiring you, masters or no, because you do not have two years teaching experience. That is the minimum number. That said, there are other schools out there that will take a flyer on you, but it will be hard work for your first two years.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi Shadow,

I'm not sure what you mean? To my knowledge the training of a PGCE in the UK is always only for one subject(area) and during my research I didn't come across any PGCE covering two areas. But in the UK once you get Qualified Teacher Status you are anyway (formally) qualified to teach any subject. Though the question of employability will be another one. That's why I was considering a Masters in history as a possible alternative.

Wrt getting IB experience, I really don't mind working for two years at a 2nd or 3rd tier school if that is necessary to get into a better school.
sid

Post by sid »

It's not just the number of total students/courses you need to consider, but also the size of the candidate field.
Fewer students take DP Physics HL than take Business Studies, it is true (or so I'm guessing, actually; just an example to make a point). But, there are far fewer qualified Physics HL teachers out there, than there are qualified Business Studies teachers.
If I need to hire 1 Physics teacher, and 2 Business Studies teachers, but there are 20 credible Business Studies teachers applying, and only 1 credible Physics teacher, you see the issue. The Physics applicant gets a job, but 18 Business candidates do not.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi Sid,

Yeah I got that. It seems to be more of a supply side problem rather than an issue with demand.