djbambi

Casablanca American School?

Post by djbambi »

I need urgent infos about this school.
I interview with them tomorrow.
Thank you for any info you have.
missy

Post by missy »

Casablanca is a big city that has lots of traffic and pollution.
Many people have a romantic notion of this place.
Apartments are hit or miss.
The school will not pay you much yet they will expect lots from you.
Meetings and more meetings...
You need to decide...if the salary they give you is worth it.
corbanma

Post by corbanma »

Hey, How did the interview go? Any luck?
djbambi

Post by djbambi »

[quote="corbanma"]Hey, How did the interview go? Any luck?[/quote]

I didn't take the interview as I felt it wouldn't be a good fit for me. Don't know if i was right or wrong but after the reviews and the forums, I lost my motivation.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="djbambi"][quote="corbanma"]Hey, How did the interview go? Any luck?[/quote]

I didn't take the interview as I felt it wouldn't be a good fit for me. Don't know if i was right or wrong but after the reviews and the forums, I lost my motivation.[/quote]

Although the school has received a fair bit of bashing in here, I think that going through the interview might have been a good thing, to see if you can make an objective decision. If anything, the interview could have given you some more details about the school that others do not know about on here. The more you know, the better.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

It is amazing that reading some of responses. Is it that bad? Ca people simply leave if thing don't workout in the middle of contract? What are the consequences?
Anyway, I am looking into a position in Casa and have couple that I am getting close to getting.
How much is considered a good salary for a teacher or assistant principal in Casablanca (not Dubai or California, just Morocco)? How much can you live in per month if you are single and don't splurge?
How do taxes work out as far as Americans for the first year since you only worked 4 month (Sep. until Dec)?

Not looking for the best school or the best housing or conditions in schools, but want to experience different country and have a reasonably respectable school. I have good teaching experience. Actually I would rather work with the poor than the rich, but that's not the case for American schools around the world.
Anyone have good experiences with AAC, or ASC?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Manumanu

I would have interviewed just for the interview practice.

Yes people leave schools in the middle of a contract, its called "pulling a runner". There are various degrees of consequences depending on the schools reputation and if you were recruited though an agency (SA & ISS).

You dont pay taxes on foreign income assuming your school didnt report it to the iRS and non of the Casa schools do, it just didnt happen.

ESOL teachers make about $15K
3rd Tier $20K
2nd Tier $25K
1st Tier $35K
Elite $40K, Plus

If you dont spend any money you can save it all. You get housing and if you eat at school and basically do nothing. You could save 90% of it. I couldnt save very much because work at the Casa schools is horrible, and you need to spend money on life side of the work/life balance.

None of the Casa schools are respectable by any reasonable definition.

There really arent any "poor" ISs, the vast majority of them with the exception of some municipal schools, are independent/private schools.