Teaching in Germany or Switzerland

andypandy

Teaching in Germany or Switzerland

Post by andypandy »

Hi

I'm new to this site so have no idea about anything so would appreciate any suggestions.

My plan......I would love to teach overseas. Children all grown up and my partner has worked in Switzerland previously, not in teaching, however has many friends overseas.

I have many years experience teaching in the visual arts and at a senior level, VCE in Australia.

Should i complete an IB certificate to improve my chances for employment?

I have joined Search (final stages) but dont have access to the data base yet and also CIS.

I would appreciate any advise or suggestions and love reading all the information on this site. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I've seen quite a few Design Technology jobs lately. I don't think that you need to go through an IB program. A good school will be willing to train you. What advice as you seeking specifically?
andypandy

Post by andypandy »

Hi Bluejay, thanks for the reply

Well having never taught at an international school I am pretty raw to all this stuff so here goes..........

I teach at a fairly high profile government school which has an excellent academic record.
I teach visual arts, senior level and examination assessor. Also I have taught design technology, however, not for about 7 years now as they removed it from the school. My experience is over the past 21 years.

I would love to teach and live overseas, particularly Germany as I have been learning German for the last 12 months (dont want to waste the lessons!)

I suppose what I'm trying to work out is....the information/reviews I have been reading, regarding some of the international schools/principals/Directors, it appears there is a fair bit of axe grinding. Is that a fair assumption?

Having said that I also know that no school is perfect and without flaws, the administration, staff or students. I am after a balanced reflection. Optimistic I know.

There is a visual arts position in Germany, in the state of Thuringia (you can look it up on CIS and work out the school). The reviews were not great. How valid is the reflection?

I have been cleared to apply for international schools with CIS. I have an interview with Search in early July. The fair here in Australia is in January.

1. Should I apply for positions now with CIS? or
2. Wait until I have my interview with Search and go to the fair in January. Will this present more opportunities?
3. What are some of the good German and or Swiss Schools?
4. What do I do about tax being an Australian citizen. Do I pay tax in Germany or Australia or is it tax free?

Appreciate the help.
:D
seashell

Post by seashell »

It can be rather difficult to be hired in Germany. I know I'm in Germany. Steer clear of any school that has GmbH after their school's name--this means they are for-profit. A gemeinnützige GmbH (gGmbH) or e.v. are non-profit.

If you just want to get your foot in the door, of course take any job, but don't expect it to be easy to jump from one school to another. I knew my school wasn't where I wanted to be anymore last year and started applying for new jobs. I just finally got a new position in April.

The Thuringia school is a mixed bag. I've met some people from there who are very happy and some who are not.

Labor laws are very strong and once you are on a permanent contract (after 2 years), you essentially have tenure. I don't think many of the German schools go to the Australian fair because they don't know yet about their hiring needs.

Taxes in Germany are very high, but the cost of living in reasonable. As a single person you will pay 42% of your salary as tax (includes health insurance & pension). If you leave Germany before 5 years you can apply to have the pension refunded to you.
andypandy

Post by andypandy »

Thanks Seashell

That's been very helpful. It gives me a bit more of an idea what the system is like anyway.

Is a not-for-profit school government run? or community run?

Is a for-profit school similar to a private school in Australia?

:D
hallier

Post by hallier »

A for profit school is not similar to private schools in Australia - in fact, the non-profit international schools are more like the Australian private schools. Their boards tend to involve parents, local business leaders and in many cases members of embassies that support the school. For profit tend to be run by businesses and keep a % of the revenue (fees). Non-profit international schools tend to invest all the revenue back into the school.

Good luck with your search:)
andypandy

Post by andypandy »

Thanks hallier

That clarifies for me :)