How much did you pay for your masters?

IAMBOG

How much did you pay for your masters?

Post by IAMBOG »

Just thinking about options. I looked at an Ed. Tech. masters which was about $12,000 and could be done over five years and another one (math and science ed.) that was $20,000 and needed to be completed in three years. Both were on line.

Obviously, quality is a concern, but also the length of time to complete (as I have two small children and time is limited) and cost.

I'm leaning toward a math and/or science program (not my degree area), but ed. tech. is also an area I'm interested in.

Suggestions? Comments? Real life experiences?
CNDed

Post by CNDed »

I'm doing my MBA in education.

It's a very unique combination. The whole program is structured around the MBA aspects about education with out the financial aspect of it. It's a 2.5 years program and it's done online and residential (You have to go to Bangkok for 3 times over the course of 2 years).

I'm paying close to $12,000 for it, which is a really good deal compared to other MBA programs out there.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

@CNDed that sounds interesting. Which University offers the program? If you prefer, please pm me.
btech

Post by btech »

I'd be curious to see if anyone's school offered to help pay for their Master's.
sid

Post by sid »

Lots of schools help pay for a masters. Some pay nothing, and the scale goes up from there to paying for almost the full cost. For schools that pay close to the full cost, it's usually in a particular program. For example, SUNY runs a number of programs that international schools can offer at pretty low cost for their staff. Courses are designed around school initiatives/needs, and some credits can be earned by attending conferences and writing ridiculously unacademic summary papers. The in-house courses can be great, it depends on how the school organizes it. The conference option is an absolute joke, so happily it is only a certain number of credits you can earn that way. In the end you have a masters. Not the kind that will make schools sit up and take notice, but a real masters that does in theory improve your understanding of teaching/learning/education and can move you up the pay scale or job ladder.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

IAMBOG,

before signing up, wait till your next school move. At interview, ask them whether they offer a master's cohort on site and what the cost is. Escuela Campo Allegre in Caracas heavily subsidizes masters programs for its teachers. I paid almost 25% of my masters with my pro-d money.

I would recommend the Masters in Educational Studies at the U of A - it is a blended learning course with two summers on site and the rest online.
CNDed

Post by CNDed »

@panta_rhei, This program is from Keele University (UK). Check out the site, it has all the information there.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

For Canadians, I highly recommend the University of Alberta's Masters in Educational Studies (MES) program. It runs two summers and the school year in between with convocation in November of the second year.

You will take two courses each semester and two courses each summer. At some point you must also fit in two electives (I did mine my first school year to get them out of the way).

Cost was not super expensive for Canadians. What I like was the mix of online and onsite courses made you feel part of a group and gave you contacts to bounce ideas off of and share thoughts with. The professors (not instructors) were brilliant and very familiar with the process. It was also a research-focused degree, so your masters has a capping paper (research thesis) and actually leads to credible Phd programs.

Check it out http://www.mes.ualberta.ca/
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="shadowjack"]IAMBOG, before signing up, wait till your next school move. [/quote]

I was thinking it might help at least having it underway when we move, so I can write "masters in progress" on my resume. Actually, the way it's going it might be my wife doing a masters first.
panta_rhei

Post by panta_rhei »

Thanks CNDed.