Low and high pay!

corbanma

Low and high pay!

Post by corbanma »

Hi what is considered a low and high pay for an experienced teacher overseas?

What is considered a good pay in Casa Moroc? Anyone would be willing to have a private conversation to share some experiences?

I am surprised Dubai pay in the 30's. Anyone with something to share about Dubai?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

You can't really compare across countries as the cost of living makes a huge difference. You'd have to compare packages of schools in the same city. In Ecuador, I was making 19K and living very comfortably though not saving much; another school there paid much much better (but you worked a whole lot harder, for an oftentimes irrational head of school, according to my friends there).

Am currently in Oman and as a dept. head and very experienced teacher I'm making low 40s.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I teach half day and do admin stuff the other half for a QSI school in China and make $51,000 including all bonuses and admin extras. I get $33,300 base salary (8 years w/ masters) + 4,700 overseas allowance + 2,500 signing bonus + 2,000 end of year bonus and then all of that is multiplied by 1.2 (20% admin bump) for doing admin duties such as college counseling, SAT stuff, AP stuff, general day-to-day operations stuff, etc… Without the admin factor, I would make $42,500. The workload is totally manageable and the kids are awesome. Cost of living is going up because the dollar is declining against the RMB and we are paid in dollars. My wife brings in just under $40k. So, our combined income is just under $90k. We travel a fair bit and stay in nice places and spend pretty freely on eating out and good food and are able to easily save $45k and sometimes more. You will have to plan on your own retirement though. So, out of that $45k, we put about 40% of it in retirement and college fund accounts. The rest we put in general savings and may someday use it to buy a house in the states.

I know we could make more money elsewhere, but I have no interest in leaving my job right now. It is ideal because I get to stay in the classroom and get valuable admin and college counseling experience.
happygolucky

Post by happygolucky »

Im just about to start what seems a similar situation to Danda in China.

Im going to be admin, with 9 periods of teaching. Its works out at $60,000 after tax, but this is NOT including accommodation allowances, flights or bonuses Including that It would be worth about $76,000 a year.

Of that we aim to save $30,000 a year of which half will be ploughed into a retirement fund. The other 15k will be general savings to use as and when needed. We may save more by the sounds of it, but this is our starting point.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I don't know what school you were looking at in Dubai, but I made in the $40,000s as a somewhat young teacher (ie relatively few years of experience). And that didn't include my free housing or annual flights home. I saved about about 35% of my salary. I could've saved 50%, but I had debts back home I was paying on.

The amount you can save is more important, to me, than overall salary. Though I do admit that it would be tough to go to a place in Latin America where I was only making $20,000/yr. Even if I could save $15,000 of that, it's still hard for me to get over a number that low.
corbanma

Post by corbanma »

I have 15 years of experience with decent current job, but don't mind experiencing something different. Where are these high paying jobs?
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

[quote="corbanma"]I have 15 years of experience with decent current job, but don't mind experiencing something different. Where are these high paying jobs?[/quote]

I made 16 k USD plus benefits in Africa and 65 k USD plus benefits in the ME. Benefits included housing, flights, end of contract bonus.