Paris. Should I

corbanma

Paris. Should I

Post by corbanma »

Thanks for all the replies
Last edited by corbanma on Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scribe

Post by scribe »

Recommend delaying decision a day or two if possible and ask for email connections for a few people at the school so you can get input regarding financial situation there - they would know and hopefully be honest. For some reason I recall the compensation package at this school as having been discussed here or elsewhere as quite minimal; however, that is an impression whereas people at the school could suppy facts which you have a right to know prior to deciding.
cstone

Casablanca School Offer

Post by cstone »

WAIT !!

You should NOT throw away $7K monthly savings just for an opportunity to experience the culture of Casablanca and Morocco.

There are better compensation packages out there at better locations. Wait.

You could always take one month's $7K and have an entire summer of living and traveling (very well, I might add, on that $$) in North Africa without giving up your current position, the good will of your school community, and what sounds like a great savings plan.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Walk away! You would be crazy to take an international teaching job that will cost you $7000 a year. If you are a certified and qualified school counselor and want to work abroad, just wait a year and apply for next school year. There were tons of counseling jobs available this year. I have no idea why anyone would even consider an international job that would cost money out of their savings. I wouldn’t even consider a job that wouldn’t allow me to save at least 50% of my salary each year while spending and traveling pretty freely. Although I do have some friends that are leaving China for Morocco to work way more hours at a crap school and make barely more than half of what they make here. Some people are nuts.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

If you are thinking about the American school under Mulder and sulky, then do not waste your time. Terrible place that keeps saying they sre saving money this year so that they can move into a new school next year. Next year has been pushed back evry year for the last 4 years.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

For what it is worth, we interviewed with the school but just couldn't afford to make the sacrifices financially that employment would have entailed.

Thanks!!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I would strongly advise you not to take this offer. Walk away. Wait until next year, start looking early and there are lots of much better schools that would be happy to hired you. If you can afford it, go to the job fair in Bangkok - I'm sure you would be snatched up quickly.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

I do not know anything about the school but I do know if you delay going abroad by a year you will have a broader range of choices. Counselors are in high demand in international schools. If you want to be in Morocco, Rabat is the better choice.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My spidey senses are tingling...I sense trouble ahead.

My advice, stay where you are.

By giving such late notice at your school, you are doing a huge disservice to your students and colleagues. Why not wait a year, sign up with TIEonline and Search, suss things out, and go to a good school. Almost all I have heard about this school is negative. Are you that desperate to get out there that you can't make a one year plan and keep your admin in the loop?

Anytime I left my home country to go overseas, my admin and colleagues knew before Christmas that I would be going.

just saying...
corbanma

Post by corbanma »

Thanks for all the tips. When I said $7000 I meant the difference in pay per year. It is very hard to leave when you have, but the people that interviewed me were reasonable and seem professional. I think I am going to wait.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I do not think a $7000 a year pay cut is that unreasonable. For some reason, I cannot see your initial post but I seem to remember that this would be your first international position. If that is the case, don't base your decision on $7000 (unless bills back home make it a hardship). Do, however, take into consideration other aspects of the position and location. I was prepared to take up to a $15000 a year pay cut to break into the international circuit.
djbambi

Re: Paris. Should I

Post by djbambi »

[quote="corbanma"]Thanks for all the replies[/quote]

Hello,
are you talking about Casa American School?
I have an interview with them.
Thanks.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

^Yes, he is. The OP just changed the thread title to hide his identity (presumably).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Rule of thumb in education - unless you are a really crappy school, never burn your bridges. Always leave your present post with a positive image of you and wanting to help you along in your educational endeavours.

Unless, of course, your HB :-)
corbanma

Post by corbanma »

It was, but I think I was not ready to accept an offer yet.