The annual whinge!

Buzzkill

The annual whinge!

Post by Buzzkill »

I am not sure about your school, but every spring, or anytime after the job fairs, I grow tired with the departing staff and their incessant whining and bashing of the school. While talking about glorious things that their next school will offer them (let's see!), they bash the current school leadership or the direction the school is going. The strange thing is that some of these teachers have stayed at the school for many years. You'd think that if they were that unhappy, they would have left a long time ago, rather than subvert school iniatives or attempt to lower the morale.

I see 'the annual whinge' every year and at the previous schools I have been employed. Maybe some of them feel better after their vent, but they are unfortunately leaving some teachers with a lasting reminder or memory of them. Anyway, I am done with my whining about whiners. Have a good summer and good luck at your next school. Remember that the grass is not always greener.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Because teachers should just shut up and be grateful that someone deigns to hire them, amirite?
Buzzkill

Post by Buzzkill »

"Because teachers should just shut up and be grateful that someone deigns to hire them, amirite?"

Not at all, teachers should speak up. The sad thing about many - not all - of these teachers is that they rarely, if ever, speak up to share their views or opinions. They choose instead to hold their meetings after the meeting for their whinge session. I realize there are many schools where you cannot share your opinion, and I have been in that boat before. I find that too many teachers stay one year too long at a school sometimes. Like fading athletes, they don't know when to move on, or in some cases, retire. I can whine just as well as anyone. Some people, however, walk under a black cloud every day.
sid

Post by sid »

It does seem a common activity.
I think leavers are trying to validate their decision. So, every little thing they see, which previously passed unnoticed, all of a sudden is worthy of negative comment. 'Yep, that's why I'm leaving.'

It's a big scary world out there, and when we choose to leave our familiar nest for the unknown, we like to keep reminding ourselves that we are 'right' to do so.

Still, put a cork in it. Your new school isn't nirvana, this one isn't purgatory, and the rest of us want to get on with the work of solving problems, not just noticing them.

Funny to imagine two leavers in different schools, one at School A heading to School B, the other at B heading to A. Each whinging about their current location, each glorifying their destination.
senator

Post by senator »

It ain't complaining if it's true!
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

I heard of a school where a rather large group was going out. They decided they did not want to leave on a sour note so they planned parties, took trips to sights together and basically determined to go out having fun. The remaining teachers still talk about that group 10 years on. They are remembered fondly.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote = overseasvet2] The remaining teachers still talk about that group 10 years on. They are remembered fondly. [/quote]

More evidence why teachers should change jobs frequently and do runners - its good for your mental health. Who in their right mind would want to be a "remaining teacher" that remembers a group from 10 years ago. Thats just sad.

As to the end of contract whinge, its just common sense not to rock the boat at the beginning of a contract. As a contract draws to its end, teachers with issues gain confidence once they have a new position and are emboldened to speak out. Once I get me last paycheck here, I'm going to trash this school on ISR but until I get my last check, I'm all smiles.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Higgsbottom is right in this case. Save your anger and frustration till after your last pay check. You'll probably care less and move on. It's not worth fighting a system especially if they don't do change very well.

While whinging is fun, procrastinating is worse. I do like to point out rather obvious benefits when leaving, like city isn't a third world hole, longer holidays etc. Comparing the actual work at the school is pointless, as another poster pointed out that it could be hell. It's better to be in a crap school in paradise than a crap school in a hole.

I had the rather hilarious experience of the head getting all pissed off at me when I was leaving a previous job because I wasn't whinging. And no, he was not a local.
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

Huh. I'm new to the whole Int'l teaching thing, but this must be a pretty good school I'm at, because none of those who are leaving seem to me to be whinging. There are 10 leaving, and two of us are breaking contract after one year. I'm fairly sure that the other person's main reasons are *not* the school, but the city where we live, and the same goes for me. Actually, the reason in my case is my sister's health, but I also can't stand the city.

Some who are leaving have been here 8 years, others just two (besides us two contract-breakers). While there are few complaints about how things could be a bit better at the school, there really isn't any whinging. One curriculum coordinator who is leaving said she is very happy to be leaving Brazil and won't ever come back, but it is because of Brazil, not the school.

If it were't such a hellhole of a place to live, and if my sister's cancer had not returned, I would be very happy to teach at the school for several more years.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Thirteen of us are leaving this year. (Last year, only seven left, half of them transferring to other QSI schools.) That sounds like a lot, but four are transferring to other QSI schools, four are returning home due to their spouse's contracts ending at unrelated companies, and the other five are moving to different schools altogether.

I haven't heard one complaint about the school. Certainly no one has been *whinging*. The only real complaints I've heard are about the city, but no one is leaving because they can't stand the school. And even with our valid complaints about the city, I've yet to sit through any conversation where everyone just whines and complains about being here.

Incessant whining and bashing? Maybe you've just had the ill luck to work with extraordinarily unprofessional and negative people. Four years overseas, and I've never heard "incessant whining and bashing" of the schools I've worked at.
senator

Post by senator »

Poor schools should be bashed. Frequently.
Buzzkill

Post by Buzzkill »

"I think leavers are trying to validate their decision. So, every little thing they see, which previously passed unnoticed, all of a sudden is worthy of negative comment. 'Yep, that's why I'm leaving.'"

I agree.

Senator, I agree. Bad schools should be bashed. I think I work at a pretty decent school. Not all of those leaving are whining, but I am bewildered when I hear those who are whining. It's all a matter of perception I guess.

"Funny to imagine two leavers in different schools, one at School A heading to School B, the other at B heading to A. Each whinging about their current location, each glorifying their destination."

Sid, this is hilarious.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I'll be perfectly honest that I am on my way out of my current school... and yes, I complain all of the time. This is not just my issue, though. All of the import teachers complain because we have a major issue with current "middle-top" management. I do not, however, mention anything about my upcoming school, because we all know that we never know what to expect. So who can say the "grass will be greener"? Also, not too many people like the city, either. Sooooo... poor city, poor management, poor working environment... who wouldn't complain? In addition, who should feel guilty about complaining, as long as it's to a sympathetic, and empathetic ear? I have also been one who has tried to make change at the school... but to no avail. Ciao!
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Does anyone feel that whinging is one thing, and constructive criticism is another? Also, with the international community being quite small, the whinging can be a problem in future employment opportunities, as one of your colleagues may just be able to get you a job at a great school in the future.

I'm actually quite happy with the school I'm in now, but the city leaves a bit to be desired. That has nothing to do with the school, though. When and if I leave here, I think I'll keep whinging to a minimum (and only about the city) and give constructive criticism on issues I feel are important in terms of improving the school experience for staff and students.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

[quote="Dredge"]I'll be perfectly honest that I am on my way out of my current school... and yes, I complain all of the time. This is not just my issue, though. All of the import teachers complain because we have a major issue with current "middle-top" management. I do not, however, mention anything about my upcoming school, because we all know that we never know what to expect. So who can say the "grass will be greener"? Also, not too many people like the city, either. Sooooo... poor city, poor management, poor working environment... who wouldn't complain? In addition, who should feel guilty about complaining, as long as it's to a sympathetic, and empathetic ear? I have also been one who has tried to make change at the school... but to no avail. Ciao![/quote]

We must be at the same school. There are 10 of us leaving however most of the teachers whinge because it's a very for-profit micromanaging school in one of the worst cities on the planet.