School culture & host country culture

Tamarinda

School culture & host country culture

Post by Tamarinda »

Am likely to be recruiting next year, and I'm thinking about the kind of school culture I want for my own children, approaching middle and high school age.  I'm curious about schools that have strong academic programs, but also well rounded enough that kids aren't under constant pressure. I'm not interested in the kind of East Asian/Singapore achievement mentality that leads to high burnout, but rather a more whole child kind of approach. My kids are smart, and I want them to be challenged, but I view the definition of success more as one of knowing oneself,  being able to develop a lot of different strengths and skills, rather than simply by marks.

I'm curious also about the interplay between host country culture and school culture (I.e. does a more laid back host country culture necessarily lead to the same in the school culture?)

We're in the Middle East right now and on a compound, and would like to be in a place where we (and the kids) can get to know the host culture on a deeper level.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPad
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I feel that it is a delicate balance. If you are looking for a truly balanced school, you need to find one that has a true international student population. However, this may lead to being friends/colleagues with only other ex-pats, and not the host-country population. The laid back culture permeates all where I am, including academics and extra-curriculars, despite teachers who work their fingers to the bone, only to be scoffed at by local parents who only want passing grades.

With older kids, I have seen it more difficult to fit in where the student population is mostly local. Most of our non-natives here are wallflowers who simply try not to draw attention to themselves. It's kind of sad. However, you may find it easier as an adult to find local friends.

What is the best region, school, etc., to avoid that situation?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The top tier true international schools tend to have a bunch of westerns and no locals. The lower tier "independent" schools are usually all locals. Something like a WE "Euro" school has a balance of working foreigners, and locals who want an international student body.