Cheapest Shipping Option?

antitravolta

Cheapest Shipping Option?

Post by antitravolta »

I was wondering if anybody knows of a super-cheap shipping option to Asia? Time is not a huge issue. I'm leaving the U.S. in 3 weeks, traveling for a month and a half and starting my job in August so the proverbial slow boat to China is not really an issue. If it would arrive in 6 weeks, we would arrive about the same time. If it were a little slower than that, I can buy a couple extra changes of clothes...not an issue. Cheap is definitely the biggest priority here. Thanks in advance.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

Expect sea shipments to take 3 months. I've had colleagues who have had sea shipments take 6 months or longer. Also, depending on where you are going, you may not be able to get your shipment out of customs without a work permit. You could end up paying hefty import fees.

Sea shipping has usually been the most cost-effective method, but I don't know if things have changed since I shipped from Asia to Central America 3 years ago. Now I'm trying to ship from NA to Africa, and air-freight quotes are only $500 more than ocean freight. But, the shipping agents are quoting charges that are astronomical. I'm being quoted twice the cost to ship half the amount half the distance I did three years ago. It's actually cheaper for me to not go through an agent and air freight on my own,

I did had great success with Asian Tigers in shipping to Asia. Good luck.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

How much are you planning to take with you? I've made two international moves by checking oversize or overweight boxes on the airline; even at $200/box these days, it's cheaper than a lot of sea cargo (which is more for roomsful of stuff).
inman

Post by inman »

Extra baggage on the plane usually works for me, and letting the airline know a couple of weeks in advance usually gets me some discount. That's not so great though if you're traveling for a month first. In that case, I'd just try to send whatever I need for work using the postal service. They're cheap and cheerful, but usually takes about 3-4 weeks if going to a new continent.
Last edited by inman on Thu May 23, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="heyteach"]How much are you planning to take with you? I've made two international moves by checking oversize or overweight boxes on the airline; even at $200/box these days, it's cheaper than a lot of sea cargo (which is more for roomsful of stuff).[/quote]

The problem for me is that I'm traveling to many locations over the summer and can't carry everything with me. I'm really not even trying to bring too much with me (mostly clothes plus a small collection of other items), but my shipping allowance is all of $500 so I can't send much.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

You're right, I read that in your OP, got busy with something else, and then came back to write that response, completely forgetting that important detail. Scratch what I said...
mark3phil

Post by mark3phil »

I would recommend sevenseasworldwide.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends where you live. if you live on the coast and can do it all yourself including get ting it to the port then slow cargo ship is the cheapest. If your not you will need a service and once you factor getting it to the port its not going to be a lot cheaper then airfreight. Just send it all to the school. You should be able to get a several boxes for $500.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="mark3phil"]I would recommend sevenseasworldwide.[/quote]

Thanks! That looks like what I'm looking for. I can ship 3 good size boxes with them. It'll arrive a little after I arrive, but I can buy a few changes of clothes before I get there and I'll be fine.
SAS

Post by SAS »

I do not know whatbAsian country you are going to but this is what I have learned for Vietnam.
- you will need your work permit to clear customs if you sea freight
- no work permit needed IF under 250 kg and sent air freight

I obtained quotes from two companies for same service and same shipment. There was a $1200.00 difference. Both companies come very highly referred by my school.
mark3phil

Post by mark3phil »

antitravolta, glad it worked out for you. We have been happy with them so far, and their box quality is top notch.
IAMBOG

Re: Reply

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Depends where you live. if you live on the coast and can do it all yourself including getting it to the port then slow cargo ship is the cheapest. If your not you will need a service and once you factor getting it to the port its not going to be a lot cheaper then airfreight. Just send it all to the school. You should be able to get a several boxes for $500.[/quote]

As Psyguy said, if you can box it yourself and take it to the shipper, it's cheap. The costs start when a moving company wants to pack your gear in your home and transport to their warehouse for shipping.

I packed one complete pallet (about 2.6m3) myself, took the boxes to the shipper, put them on the pallet and wrapped it in industrial saran wrap - I did a beautiful job, it was like a work of art. Total cost - slightly under $1000. I previously got a quote for the same stuff from a moving company - $4500!!