Anyone in the same situation?

djbambi

Anyone in the same situation?

Post by djbambi »

Hello,

I am still looking for a job for the next school year and frankly, I am losing hope. Even when I was introduced by a former colleague for a position in Vienna that I really was interested about, it didn't work out. I teach IB French and I am a native speaker but nobody seems to care to have a native teacher. I have 8 years experience abroad.
I follow the usual advices: I am registered with Search, Joyjobs and I regularly check Tieonline and the IB website. I sent lots of applications and I had 3 interviews via Skype but it didn't work out even if I was close once.
I don't know what else I can do or if I can do something differently.
Anyone in the same situation and still looking for a position? It would made me feel less alone!
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

You are not alone! I have many colleagues still looking...I was too picky so I planted myself at my school for another year....however...many people are still moving around - so keep looking!!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

This is May and for europe things are still very much happening. Schools are still looking and I know a couple teachers who are still planing on leaving after they get their final paycheck.

Most schools prefer to have a native language teacher actually. Being a single qualified language teacher, like just a french teacher, is still a VERY niche market. At a small or medium school there isnt liekly to be enough students in the secondary school to give you a full schedule, in which case they would hire locally. You need a large enough school to justify the cost to a school, since you can only teach one thing.

Have you tried a overseas Lycee school? Are you also certified to teach french? There was a poster who appeared to have gotten a french teaching position in Japan and was just finishing school.
djbambi

Post by djbambi »

That's good to know. Thank you!

[quote="CDNTEACH"]You are not alone! I have many colleagues still looking...I was too picky so I planted myself at my school for another year....however...many people are still moving around - so keep looking!![/quote]
djbambi

Re: Reply

Post by djbambi »

Yes, i am certified to teach French.
And I believe you are right, I was thinking about teaching Spanish too.
Thank you for your answer.

[quote="PsyGuy"]This is May and for europe things are still very much happening. Schools are still looking and I know a couple teachers who are still planing on leaving after they get their final paycheck.

Most schools prefer to have a native language teacher actually. Being a single qualified language teacher, like just a french teacher, is still a VERY niche market. At a small or medium school there isnt liekly to be enough students in the secondary school to give you a full schedule, in which case they would hire locally. You need a large enough school to justify the cost to a school, since you can only teach one thing.

Have you tried a overseas Lycee school? Are you also certified to teach french? There was a poster who appeared to have gotten a french teaching position in Japan and was just finishing school.[/quote]