Housing location. Suburban middle ground?

Maritimer

Housing location. Suburban middle ground?

Post by Maritimer »

I'm a new reader of this forum, having recently wandered over from Dave's ESL Cafe.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of becoming a certified middle/high school English teacher, as I love discussing literature of all kinds (I have a B.A. in English Lit).

Right now I'm not sure about this course of action, as I am very much not a city person. I've just read the thread on here which discusses rural options, and the impression that I get is that most IS job opportunities are in the middle of cities. Could I reasonably expect to find a quiet life in the IS circuit? I don't want to live somewhere rural, but somewhere fairly quiet that doesn't necessitate much of a commute. As a newbie I'll work anywhere warm (I'm in Canada now), but after a few years I'll need to try to find places that are less fast paced if I want to keep my peace of mind.

I've traveled a little and so I know that culture shock won't be an issue, but I have very little experience of living in cities. I need to look out my window and see trees there, to have somewhere in nature to walk not far away, to not hear much traffic etc., and ideally to be by water. Tranquil accommodation (ideally fairly tranquil everything), for me, will be the name of the game.

Do any of you live in suburbs now? or have you in the past? Perhaps the middle ground that I'm describing is quite common.

Perhaps this is a silly post, but I can't think of another way to get a general impression.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

As with so many questions on this forum...it depends. Many of the international schools in large cities are located in the suburbs and actually require a bit of a commute to get to the city center. If you look at Bangkok you have both extremes. NIST is in the middle of city while ISB is a long ways out. Of course, their housing means you are clustered with all other teachers and with the pool in the center of the housing, there is not much quiet.

Your best bet is to do your research on the location of the school bulding and the housing. You can also decide you want to stick to very small schools which may (or may not) be in more remote areas that can translate into a live that is a bit more tranquil. Right now I'm in a city but our neighborhood is very, very quiet. I look out at palm trees but no water.
sid

Post by sid »

Examine your expectations.
Teaching middle and high school English is only sometimes about discussing literature. It's about teaching students to read critically and write coherently. A lot of work is done with non-fiction, as that's what students will find more useful after high school. There's endless grading of essays. You've proven you can teach at word and sentence level. Are you ready to break down longer pieces of writing, help students discover the key features of different parts, and teach them how to master those features?
I love literature too, and I love discussing it with students. I've had classes that, after much much work from me, could engage in intelligent discussion at a high level. But while that might have been a favored part of the class, it was not the part that my students most needed, and hence not the part that I could devote the most time to.
grdwdgrrrl

Quiet life.

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

I recommend Penang, Malaysia. Very quiet and you can live very close to work, you can easily choose a school that fits your remoteness desire. We have a nice house with a small garden in a quiet neighborhood and walk to work. Also we are within walking distance of the beach and a 15-20 min bus ride to the national park.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

ISs require students and the true internationally diverse schools or those that appeal to embassy families and students require that they be located where their students are. So yes the top schools tend (not all) to be located in major cities. The lower the tiers go the more the student body is composed of locals and the more rural and suburban you find the schools. In China for instance there a re a lot of schools that are outside Shanghai, Beijing Hong Kong, and Guangzhou. Some of them especially the bilingual schools are pretty country. The same is true in WE you find small schools in very small cities, though these are usually "Euro Schools" (international schools/programs that are actually public/municipal schools).

You also need to really examine your understanding of suburban. In most of Asia living in the city or in a city like environment is seen as status and as a good thing. Living in the country while you see it as quite and serene is identified more with being poor. Building and construction is a sign of prosperity and many towns and cities in asia want to do that. Many of the areas described as "Suburban" such as the suburbs of Tokyo are anything but. There is a joke that if you want to get out of the "Burbs" of Tokyo you need to go to Hokkaido. In many areas to really get out to the "suburbs" as you probably define it, means being a couple hours outside of the city. Meaning without a car your looking at an expensive taxi ride or a bus.

I agree with Sid, english majors by themselves dont make very good english teachers. Its not like college or university were you can debate Shakespeare or esoteric intricacies of meaning and classical thought. Far far more of being a successful english teacher is on mechanics, grammar and repetition of very rudimentary concepts. The focus is on technical writing and critical reading, and it takes a certain amount of fortitude to do so, especially across grade levels. Your DIP2s may be able to debate literature but your MYP1s wont, their discussion will mostly amount to "liking it or not liking it" and asking "why" wont get you much more then a paragraph. Basics like protagonist and antagonist, rising action, falling action, climax and other rudimentary concepts will be common elements across grade levels.
In writing the focus is on essay and technical writing not creative writing and character development. The classic 5 paragraph essay is used a lot, and I mean a lot in english courses. You can explore the more enjoyable parts of literature but thats the dessert course, not the 6 courses before it.