PGCE - Importance of university reputation

panta_rhei

PGCE - Importance of university reputation

Post by panta_rhei »

Hi all,

I'm considering to do a PGCE (Economics and Business) in the UK and am in the process of short listing universities. I'm wondering how important the overall reputation of the particular university itself is with regards to employability later on. In particular because as I hear the PGCE is quite standardized and anyway 2/3 of the time is spent in the partner schools.

For example there is the London Institute of Education which is ranked among the top education schools in the world. Than there are other PGCEs (in Economics and Business) at schools like Staffordshire or Worcester. These universities aren't ranked so hight but their teacher trainings are also (like IOE) rated 'outstanding' by OFSTED (btw. does this rating have any significance in practice?). The advantage that I see in some other schools would in particular be smaller class sizes and lower living expenses.

What are your thoughts on this? How important would you say is university reputation?
Mick Travis

PGCE's

Post by Mick Travis »

The top ranked education schools in the UK are

England

Institute of Education (London)
Cambridge University

Scotland

Moray House (University of Edinburgh)

Competition to get into these is quite fierce (1 in 4 applicants are successful on average).

It's only reallly important in terms of getting interviews for your first job in the England/Scotland. I don't think international schools pay much attention to where you got your PGCE, or whether you graduated with 'distinction' or whatever - they are more interested in curriculum experience, though the intensely practical nature of the PGCE would suggest new teachers with this qualification are better prepared for the classroom, in terms of experience, than their counterparts from other anglophone countries.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Who forgot Oxford?

Outside the UK as an IT it doesnt really matter, unless you have a HOS who is an alumni, or an elitist. Most programs are very similar and not really distinguishable from others. About the only time it really matters is when and if your applying to grad school such as a doctorate.