US Citizens Deported From Botswana & need teaching job N

Tater Tot

US Citizens Deported From Botswana & need teaching job N

Post by Tater Tot »

Hello:

Botswana immigration constraints is something that my teaching partner & I were warned about before arrival. The school admin did away with a consultant to handle immigration affairs and the school admin is understaffed, over worked and underpaid.

As a result of this and the government policies, my immigration permits did not go through. The government is not granting work and residence permits for any teachers in the "Primary" category... who knew? Maybe a CONSULTANT would have known? My teaching partner/fiance was approved for high school math & science teaching (despite the fact that he is non-certified but has a Masters in Bio) but my "Primary" teacher permit was rejected (I am certified in elementary ed & spec ed). I cannot appeal and I must leave the country IMMEDIATELY. Here is more on the Immigration problems in Botswana:

http://www.africaportal.org/blogs/commu ... sed-policy

None the less, we are packing our bags and heading back to the USA to regroup.

TRAGICALLY, We must leave. I have one term of PYP IB experience as the PYP Learning Support Teacher. It was essentially a great position in a tier 3 IB school. Before this, I have 5 years experience teaching elementary.

Where to now? I would like the same or similar position in Special Education and preferably an IB school?

My boyfriend and I are planning to quickly get married post- deportation in the United States. Then, we need to make a plan. My man is O.K. with not working and allowing me to take the lead on finding the job since he is not certified and could possibly find work tutoring science.

I am asking for any suggestions on where to look? We are considering Malaysia, South Korea or Dubai?

Suggestions?
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

I would suggest signing up with Search Associates and attending the Bethesda Job fair June 21-23. The membership will give you access to the job bank and the job fair. Ordinarily, I would probably not advise this job fair because it is so late in the hiring season. Your situation being what it is, this maybe your last/best hope. I have read before of a number of people walking away from this fair with decent jobs. Give them a call and ask to speak to the associate in charge of the fair.
Good luck!!!

Edited to add:

I've just checked out the search site there are 36 positions advertised for Elem. 1-3 in IB schools (three of which are in S.Korea), 25 positions Elem. 4-6 (one of which is in S.Korea). Only 13 SPED positions left, no Elem. in the countries you are searching for in IB schools.

I hope this helps...
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Check TES, tes.co.uk, there are thousands of jobs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Why are you going back to the USA. That just makes you an expensive OSH, and unless you have family back there or something else, you would be better off spending the summer somewhere cheap like China or Vietnam/Thailand, and put yourself in the position of being in the right place at the right time especially with a place like Vietnam where the bottom tier schools are always hiring and being there make you an easy and convenient hire.

You might have to settle for less then an IB school in your situation, its so late in the recruiting process. I wouldnt go to the BEthesda fair, any school that would hire you their, will happily hire you before that with a Skype interview.

Lastly, you could try a IS supply agency.