New Visa Process for China?

emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

Thanks for the links, happygolucky. I'm still not sure it applies, though. Two of the links you provided are for people going to China as students and the other is from an embassy in Finland. I am wondering if requirements are different since I am coming from the U.S.
happygolucky

Post by happygolucky »

[quote="emilyhurd"]Thanks for the links, happygolucky. I'm still not sure it applies, though. Two of the links you provided are for people going to China as students and the other is from an embassy in Finland. I am wondering if requirements are different since I am coming from the U.S.[/quote]

I processed my visa in Qatar and needed a medical. My employer sent me a sample from the UK that was needed as well. Cant speak for the US, but certainly its pretty common elsewhere
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="emilyhurd"]Thanks for the links, happygolucky. I'm still not sure it applies, though. Two of the links you provided are for people going to China as students and the other is from an embassy in Finland. I am wondering if requirements are different since I am coming from the U.S.[/quote]

OK, here is the deal. My wife and I worked at different schools in Beijing and went through the visa application process separately. My school insisted that I get the full medical in the US and send all reports/tests with my visa application.

My wife's school told her she didn't need the medical ahead of time since she would have to have it all done once she arrived in Beijing. We both got our Z visas by following our sponsoring schools' differing advice.

Upon arrival, we went to the medical center that handles new visas/arrivals where she had everything done, and they checked all of my reports from the US. I only had to redo one test they didn't accept while she had to have the whole battery of check-up etc in Beijing.

Basically, different schools have different policies etc. as they have found it to be more useful or efficient for them.

As long as they are giving you your Z visa and not telling you that you need to enter on a Tourist visa, you should be fine.
emilyhurd

Post by emilyhurd »

I finally got in touch with the Chinese Consulate for my region of the US and they said that we do NOT need a medical exam before getting the visa. So, clearly the process varies from consulate/embassy to consulate/embassy. Breathing a sigh of relief for now...