1st Grade Opening - Korea

micki0624

1st Grade Opening - Korea

Post by micki0624 »

deleted....
Last edited by micki0624 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Lots of mixed reviews on the paysite.

Must be desparate for teachers to be posting here.

Take care

Annie
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

deleted
Last edited by micki0624 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Man ESL teachers in Korea have it easy compared to real teachers.

Seems like a first year teacher makes about 32 mil won and a starting esl teacher makes 28 mil.

I have almost zero prep and teach just 3 one hour classes a day as an esl teacher.

Does the school give like a end of contract bonus? If so how much is that normally in Korea?
inman

Post by inman »

The IBO aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect...These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right" (IBO mission statement). I really find it difficult to see how, "It is a Christian IB school. You must be Christian" fits in with that.

I also don't see what's rude about AnnieT's posting. She only made a simple observation. Sure, it's good that people who don't have job have been given a heads up, but it's also good that people looking at a job are aware of things to look out for. It's better than going in blind.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

If you think Annie was rude your not going to like this post at all.

Your school is a cult.

GSIS makes QSI look like a secular pagan school. Your admin expects and demands teachers and staff that are completely of the faith, and they expect total obedience. Its not a job or even a career its a calling and a mission.

This site isnt here to promote rainbows and sunshine, we are here to dual out the issues regarding schools so that aspiring teachers can have a POV other then the glossy brochure and sales pitch.
inman

Post by inman »

I've had an eye on Korea for a long time. Any other opinions about this place?
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Psyguy,

Fair enough comment on "dueling" out the issues, but GSIS being a cult? I guess if dueling includes rhetoric, hyperbole, and cliche...

Nobody is forcing anyone to work at a Christian school, but every school has its worldviews, this school should be no different and people are free to work here or not.

Thanks!!
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Yeah, no thanks! "You must be Christian", that cinched it for me. Good grief, not even in the Middle East do they say "you have to be Muslim". Your school sounds like the "Christians" I know - think like us, do as we say, don't question us, we know best (even for the entire world). Like I said - PASS!!!
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

Hi Dawson,

Its probably a good idea to stay away from this type of school, because both sides would not see eye-to-eye. To stereotype however Christians to be monolithic in their ways of seeing things really misses the diversity (and yes, the huge disagreements) within the kaleidoscope of the Christian world. As educators, we owe more than stereotypes to our students, a point of grace I would hope you would be willing to extend to any group.

Thanks!!
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

If you all judge people by religion it's a sad state to think about what you're teaching in the classroom.

I don't see what the difference between and International School being slanted towards a religion and a US Private school....they are basically the same thing, a paid tuition school. If people don't like it, don't work there or enroll your child there.
inman

Post by inman »

Micki0624, you wrote, "If you all judge people by religion it's a sad state to think about what you're teaching in the classroom". I agree, that's why I find your original assertion, "It is a Christian IB school. You must be Christian" to be cause for concern regarding what goes on in the classroom there. I believe schools should be leading the way as examples of open-mindedness, fighting against descrimination, equal opportunities employment practices and a non judgemental attitude to people of different beliefs. "It is a Christian IB school. You must be Christian" seems to go against all that. It assumes that only Christians, despite the wide array of different types of Christians and Christian beliefs, are fit to work there. Seems like judging people based only upon their religion to me.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

There are some amazing Christian schools out there that do a wonderful job of education, with a spiritual bent and a duty of pastoral care for their students.

Growing up in a secular public school system, when I was in elementary school there were daily Bible readings by the teacher in the morning, plus saying the Lord's Prayer (Our Father...) afterwards.

Did it hurt me? No. In fact, knowing the Bible certainly helps with understanding a wide swath of English literature. Was the class brainwashed? Nope. None of us turned into Puritans out to promote the rapture or stand on street corners.

If a teacher wants to work at a school and in an environment like that, they can. There is enough info out there for them to make a free choice.

Thanks for letting potential colleagues know about the opening, Micki. Talkers gotta talk, is all.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

The people working there must be a professed Christian, not the students.

How does being a Christian school go against open-mindedness? If the founders of the school want to create a Christian school, how is only wanting Christian teachers wrong? There have been non-Christian's that have taught there, unbeknownst to the staff, but while they were there, they upheld the beliefs of the school.

By IB schools only wanting IB trained staff, and unwilling to train new teachers to IB, like some do, can also been seen as not being open-minded or discriminatory, but it's their choice because it's their school.

These are private institutions, not public schools, so they can do whatever they want, which can be good in some ways and taken advantage in others.

I just find it interesting that some posters have such strong convictions (rude IMO) and use extremely loaded words that can be easily taken as rude. The words cult and desperate are taken that way by a reader. If a student turned in a paper with those words, as a teacher, I would want so much proof that I could not deny the use of those words. By being Christian and/or giving people a heads up in my world does not find using those words necessary.

As shadowjack said, I guess people will just post things like that just to do it without thinking of others. I also guess that's what my "cult" teaches me, to think of others before I make a choice.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="micki0624"]The people working there must be a professed Christian, not the students.

How does being a Christian school go against open-mindedness? If the founders of the school want to create a Christian school, how is only wanting Christian teachers wrong? There have been non-Christian's that have taught there, unbeknownst to the staff, but while they were there, they upheld the beliefs of the school.

[/quote]

Really? And how would you feel if you applied to a school and they told you that they only employed non-religious/non-Xian teachers (I won't say why they might want that, for fear of using loaded words)?