Bahrain Cost of living ?

missy

Bahrain Cost of living ?

Post by missy »

I have about 7 to 8 years of teaching experience.
What is considered a fair salary with that experience in Bahrain ?

Is the cost of living there high or low ?
Thanks!

Example:

$ 23,000 - $39,000 (but there may be a 1% tax ?)
Benefits:
School Provided Transportation
Fully Furnished Flat
Utilities Covered by the School
Medical Insurance
One Time Baggage Allowance of $400
One Time Settling In Allowance of $400
Marital Allowance
Social Allowance
Annual Flights
Professional Development Opportunities
Last edited by missy on Tue May 14, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

I suggest that you join the paysite side of ISR. You will find it is the best money you ever spent.

Annie
missy

Post by missy »

[quote="AnnieT"]I suggest that you join the paysite side of ISR. You will find it is the best money you ever spent.

Annie[/quote]

I am a member of ISR but I always find that it is useful to get a teacher's opinion that is working there right now.
I am especially interested in the cost of living ?
Anybody else care to share ?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Here are some average costs in USD:

Restaurants:
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 5.97 $
Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 26.53 $
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 8.54 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 10.61 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 11.94 $
Cappuccino (regular) 3.30 $
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 2.91 $
Water (0.33 liter bottle) 2.15 $

Markets:
Milk (regular), 1 liter 1.41 $
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 1.00 $
Rice (1kg) 5.73 $
Eggs (12) 2.75 $
Local Cheese (1kg) 3.32 $
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 54.00 $
Apples (1kg) 1.72 $
Oranges (1kg) 1.59 $
Tomato (1kg) 2.84 $
Potato (1kg) 1.33 $
Lettuce (1 head) 1.33 $
Water (1.5 liter bottle) 1.41 $
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 30.92 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 1.53 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 1.53 $
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) 1.53 $

Transportation:
One-way Ticket (Local Transport) 0.60 $
Monthly Pass (Regular Price) ? Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 6.49 $
Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 0.63 $

Utilities (Monthly):
Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 58.20 $
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans) 0.11 $
Internet (6 Mbps, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 66.33 $

Sports And Leisure:
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 88.42 $
Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend) 31.83 $
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 11.94 $

Clothing And Shoes:
1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar) 55.70 $
1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 59.68 $
1 Pair of Nike Shoes 119.36 $
1 Pair of Men Leather Shoes 139.26 $
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Please ignore PsyGuy. He doesn't live in Bahrain and he hates the Middle East. Those prices he quoted aren't even close to being accurate. Hey PsyGuy, don't post if you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The salary and benefits you talked about sound quite reasonable. I live in Bahrain and the cost of living is quite good. If you can cook and don't need to use certain "western" brands then you'll be able to save a lot of money. Electronics, phones, ect. are cheaper than in the west. Alcohol is about twice what you'd pay in the States. For example, a 12 pack of Corona Beer costs 11 BD, which is about 28 dollars. The nice thing is there are no limitations on liquor. You can go to the liquor or bottle store as they call it here anytime and buy as much as you like. Not that we're all lushes here, but it is nice to have that option. The one thing you didn't mention is a car. Bahrain is not quite as taxi friendly as other GCC countries where taxis are readily available and cheap. I rent a car here for about $400 dollars per month. Depending on where you live that may be a necessity you are not budgeting for.

All in all, I think Bahrain is great. You get a great glimpse into Middle Eastern culture while still enjoying the perks of the west. You can also fly so easily and cheaply to many great places (Dubai, Jordan, Oman, etc.) I highly recommend Bahrain. Like I said please ignore Psyguy he has no clue about Bahrain and his hate for the Middle East is quite evident if you read too many of his posts.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I only post when I have relevant expertise and information to provide, the cost of living prices as posted are very accurate.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Yes, your Googling skills are above average--otherwise, she would have found the info herself.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="Dawson"]Please ignore PsyGuy. He doesn't live in Bahrain and he hates the Middle East. Those prices he quoted aren't even close to being accurate. Hey PsyGuy, don't post if you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The salary and benefits you talked about sound quite reasonable. I live in Bahrain and the cost of living is quite good. If you can cook and don't need to use certain "western" brands then you'll be able to save a lot of money. Electronics, phones, ect. are cheaper than in the west. Alcohol is about twice what you'd pay in the States. For example, a 12 pack of Corona Beer costs 11 BD, which is about 28 dollars. The nice thing is there are no limitations on liquor. You can go to the liquor or bottle store as they call it here anytime and buy as much as you like. Not that we're all lushes here, but it is nice to have that option. The one thing you didn't mention is a car. Bahrain is not quite as taxi friendly as other GCC countries where taxis are readily available and cheap. I rent a car here for about $400 dollars per month. Depending on where you live that may be a necessity you are not budgeting for.

All in all, I think Bahrain is great. You get a great glimpse into Middle Eastern culture while still enjoying the perks of the west. You can also fly so easily and cheaply to many great places (Dubai, Jordan, Oman, etc.) I highly recommend Bahrain. Like I said please ignore Psyguy he has no clue about Bahrain and his hate for the Middle East is quite evident if you read too many of his posts.[/quote]

What prices were not accurate? When you make a claim it helps to substantiate it.