Teaching ESL when non native English speaker?

djbambi

Teaching ESL when non native English speaker?

Post by djbambi »

Hello,
I am a native French speaker, an IB French teacher, 8 years international experience and still looking for a job! Don't know what to do but I think a lot about how to add more qualifications to my resume.
So, do you think it is worth doing an ESL course to add that to my resume?
I was thinking that schools must prefer a native speaker as an ESL teacher but am I right?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry, there was a recent poster who wasnt even out of college yet and apparently got a french position (based on what she posted).

No adding ESL and not being a native english speaker isnt going to be very successful. Its the same reason ISs would hire a native french speaker who was a certified french teacher to teach french.

I dont know what your skill set is, but if your looking at expanding your resume and want to stick to "soft" subjects areas like SPED/LS/SEN are the most marketable given your expertise, and you can shape your resume in that the students youve worked with in the past are likely to have had some disabilities that you can address or focus on in a resume.
Your background is probably suitable to literature (particularly french and european literature, you may have studied while learning french) as well as humanities and social studies (again with a focus on french and european history and culture).

Have you looked into an international Lycee?