Benjamin Franklin International School?

lightstays

Benjamin Franklin International School?

Post by lightstays »

Anyone have the latest on BFIS? I know the pay is not much and Barcelona is fairly expensive but has this changed in recent years? How are the academics/admin in secondary?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No it hasnt changed, the top tier schools give you a housing allowance for 5 years or so and even at these schools people have to leave when the housing allowance runs out. Barcelona is expensive and with taxes and the cost of housing you will be lucky to break even and have a couple euro in your pocket at the end of each month. The vast majority of teachers live pay day to pay day.

Barcelona is an amazing city though. You have to go for the quality of life and cultural richness, you wont get rich there.
christyn2

Post by christyn2 »

I do not know of any schools in Barcelona that gives you a salary allowance. I think the American School of Madrid does, but no schools in Barcelona that I am aware of. I worked there for 6 years, and I left because of the money. It is an amazing city. Now I work in Asia, and spend my summers in Barcelona!
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@christyn2

I dont know of any schools in Spain that give you a salary allowance either. ASM (Madird) does give an actual monetary housing allowance for 5 years, and ASB (Barcelona) gives you housing assistance as far as providing a guarantee. A salary allowance no.
christyn2

Post by christyn2 »

It was a typo. I meant 'housing allowance'. I have never heard of a salary allowance, so I have no idea why I wrote that twice! Weird.

I worked at ASB for 6 years. They did find me a place to live before I moved there, but all deposits and rents came out of my own paycheck. My friends who are still at ASB pay everything on there own.
christyn2

Post by christyn2 »

'their own'. End of the school year and my brains a bit fried!