No MYP experience - is it a problem?

msteacher

No MYP experience - is it a problem?

Post by msteacher »

My husband and I are currently teaching in Shanghai. We are planning to recruit next year due to the pollution - we have two young children. We are planning to sign up with SEARCH (we have in the past) and perhaps attend the Bangkok fair. I have been reading the ISR forums and many people talk about needing IB experience. My husband is currently teaching IB biology and he has recent AP bio experience as well. I am certified (with experience) to teach middle school math and science and I have an M.Ed. as well as my B.Ed.

My question: Should I (as a MS teacher) take an introductory course in MYP? Will I be less marketable if I do not have MYP experience? Also, although I am certified in mathematics my undergrad is in biochemistry. Would it benefit me at all to do a second masters in mathematics teaching? I know it won't help me financially but will it make me more marketable? The program itself looks really interesting to me and I think would help me to grow as a math teacher.

I appreciate any advice!
inman

Post by inman »

Hi,

As a couple you sound like you'd be in a good position, with or without MYP experience. MYP experience would be especially useful if you're going to an IB school, but if not then it's not so much of a worry. Personally, I always think that an extra course can't do harm. An online introductory MYP course at least makes you look committed to the idea if you do manage to interview with an IB school. It certainly won't do you any harm.

I'm not sure about the masters. With the experience and qualification you have it'd be a lot of time and money to invest into something that you can probably get by easily without.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You will do fine in Bangkok. I went this year with a trailing spouse transitioning into teaching, no IB experience (but worked in an IB HS), and had a couple of offers. My training will take place later this fall.

You don't need to take an IB course.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

You two are really good candidates for Bangkok for the following obvious reasons :

1. Certified teaching couple.
2. Both of you teach sought after subjects : Math and Sciences.
3. Years of professional experience.

You don't need a master's or the MYP experience or any introductory course to be considered " attractive ". I believe that it would be a bonus but the subjects that you teach alone would be enough to get you both considered.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Schools are not impressed with IB training, the rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience. IB experience is not anywhere equivalent to IB training.

When it comes to IB training IB, then PYP have the most use. MYP is really whatever the school wants to call it, and what you receive in training outside of some philosophy and terminology isnt likely to be very useful in anything but a pure MYP program. Most schools really wedge a national curriculum into their MYP program, so an American IB school is likely to have an american curriculum in its MYP program.

Another masters would make you more marketable, but not enough to justify the cost and expense in getting another masters.