Japan Salary

mbovi

Post by mbovi »

I think that she has 300, 000 yen to start with every month. Rent, taxes are not even taken out of that amount yet. So let's say that rent is around 70, 000 - 120, 000 yen ( depending on where she lives in Kobe ), then she might not be able to survive on the rest...but of course, all dependent on her spending habits, lifestyle etc.

I would think of the opportunity as more like getting her foot in the door in Japan. Kobe is not exactly the place of " international schools ". There is one or two that stand out but in comparison to Tokyo, she would have had better luck at the salary...even with the exorbitant rent prices in Tokyo bc housing allowance and rent are usually subsidized.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The housing will kill you. Unless your going with at least $5,000 in startup money for housing. The job is little more then an ELL position with a relocation allowance.

Unless you really want to be in Japan, there are other schools that will give you more, and not create such a burden on you.

If its really just being in Japan, then go take the airfare and the settling in cash, and just keep your ear open to better positions and other vacancies. Your visa is yours once your there, and isnt bound to any particular school.

I dont know what your teaching, Im assuming its french, so while you might not find many vacancies, teaching ELL isnt the same as teaching an academic subject. In ELL your just delivering pre-prepared lessons, and the students are really their to hear your verbal speaking. You come in do your work and leave and dont have to think of anything else afterwards. There is no marking or tests really or lesson prep. Thats very different from an academic teaching subject where at least half the work is outside of school.
FrenchGurl

Thank you

Post by FrenchGurl »

Thank you everyone, I declined the position.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

I am not sure if declining the position was such a wise decision as that alone could have been looked at as a " golden opportunity " to get into Japan. It's not always about the money and to be quite honest, you could have easily saved being that there are some properties in Kobe that are quite affordable. However, it seems that you thought about it enough and good luck on your future decisions.
FrenchGurl

Post by FrenchGurl »

Thank you, but working in Japan was not a motivating factor for me. The school director believed that working in Japan was the only motivation I or anyone needed. My research found that Psyguy's information was accurate and the salary offer was very close to an English language teaching position.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Yes, judging from your other post...it seems that money is the main motivating factor for you. Good on you though, for looking out for yourself first in the world of education.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Japan isnt everyone cup of tea, and based solely on what they were offering if being in Japan wasnt a motivating factor for you, then the package wasnt much better then an ESOl teaching position, and without any type of housing support you would have needed significant personal funds to relocate.
FrenchGurl

Post by FrenchGurl »

Thank you psyguy.