Japan Salary

FrenchGurl

Thank you

Post by FrenchGurl »

The school has offered me 300,000Y salary and 150,000Y for a settling in allowance, they will also reimburse me 75%% of my one-way airfare. Is this a good offer based on my resume?
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Clarification needed : 150,000 yen SETTLING IN ALLOWANCE is a one-time payment, not a monthly payment right? If so, this is obviously NOT a housing allowance. Housing is the most important part of a salary package in Japan bc rent is extremely high. In places like Tokyo, expect a small apt for around $ 1500 USD - $ 2500 / month. Kobe is also a " high end " place ( not so much as Tokyo ), but Kobe has really nice, high properties. So, if you don't have housing allowance on top of this 300, 000 yen a month, you could have a tough time in saving.

In Kobe, the 150, 000 yen housing allowance is generous. You will have a small, shoe box of an apartment but it will cover it ( depending on how deep you are in the city ). If you live a little bit outside the city ( around 20 - 30 mins commute ) and into the countryside, that will definitely cover the apt. However, remember though that you might have to pay key money ( which is usually 1 month's worth of advanced rent + another $ 1000 - $ 2000 or so for " gratuity " ).

The 300, 000 yen is enough IF this is AFTER taxes. If this is before taxes, expect around 70, 000 yen ( $ 700 ) taken out for the city tax and national health. So basically, you are looking at around $ 240, 000 yen NET.

Depending on your lifestyle, this is decent.

Right now, with me, at 7 years experience, I am getting around 9.0 million yen ( pre-tax ). With tax deducted and everything, I am getting around 8.2 million yen a year ( net ) ( so $ 80, 000 USD net ). Housing allowance is fabulous. I only have to pay utilities. This is in Tokyo.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="mbovi"]
Right now, with me, at 7 years experience, I am getting around 9.0 million yen ( pre-tax ). With tax deducted and everything, I am getting around 8.2 million yen a year ( net ) ( so $ 80, 000 USD net ). Housing allowance is fabulous. I only have to pay utilities. This is in Tokyo.[/quote]

Wow, 7 years in and clearing 80k usd with no housing to pay for.

Nice.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Yes...it's Japan. But honestly, it's not just in Japan. It's also the case in Singapore and Hong Kong. Hence, I have no desire to go back to N. America to teach...even with the pension. There are heaps of investments abroad and with clearing that type of salary ( net ), I don't mind not having the pension.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Which is the best country long term to try and hack into / settle down? Japan, Singapore, or HK?
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

[quote="CaliPro"]Which is the best country long term to try and hack into / settle down? Japan, Singapore, or HK?[/quote]

I would say Singapore or Japan if you are looking at "settling down". Very family oriented with lots of parks, etc. HK better for singles.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

man, looks like after my stint in ME and Latin America I need to try and relocate to Japan or Singapore. wonder how hard that will be for a high school math teacher with 4-6 years experience......
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@FrenchGurl

Im glad mbovi updated her response. I hadnt read anything in your post about "housing". This is going to make a huge difference, if the 150k¥ is a one time relocation allowance, then what is really going to matter is how much housing help they give you. The school may not be giving you any housing money but is there an apartment they are subsidizing, where you pay the rent but the school has paid the deposits and fees, or are they will in to be your guarantor, which means the school sponsors you instead of a deposit. Housing is a huge expense in japan, and the biggest investment is renting a place, usually for a foreigner you need to pay first and last months rent and a security deposit of 1-2 months. In addition you have key money, which is just a fee to the landlord and you have an agent fee and maybe a maintenance fee. This can get very expensive.

If this is just a one time relocation allowance and there is no housing or minimal housing assistance then the offer is little better then an ELL teaching position, with the difference is your getting some airfare (which after making up the difference on your airfare) you will have about 120KÂ¥ left over which is enough to move into a Gaijin house apartment. You will then have a visa and really you should look for a better job, while your getting by at your school.

If this is a monthly housing allowance then 150KÂ¥ is very generous. Housing isnt that expensive in Kobe, you can find a 1 DK apartment for 40KÂ¥, and you can get a nice 1LDK for 60KÂ¥, 2LDK at 80KÂ¥. So 150KÂ¥ Will pay your rent, utilities, transportation, and phone and leave some left over. It really means you have a 450KÂ¥ salary, but again you will need assistance from your school or you will need to invest a sizable amount of your own money in settling in.
Unless you really want to be in Japan, even with your resume there are better positions in less desirable regions that will not require so much investment.

@CaliPro

Not of those places actually. The idea is to go sto one of the Tigers (JP, HK, or SG) and make your money then retire somewhere cheap like SCA, Thailand, the Phillipines. Once the housing allowance disappears the three tigers are VERY expensive.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

My dream is to settle forever in Tokyo, Japan. However, I have a friend who is very lucky. She is now in Tokyo, Japan ( same as me with 7 years experience ) and is moving to Singapore to get a position at UWC. She is planning to be there for a few years and then return to Tokyo, Japan to make Japan her " home ". I find the 2 tigers ( Tokyo, Singapore ) the ideal places to live...safe, clean, transportation hub, filled with expats, great capital cities, LOTS OF MONEY, great IB opportunities, great highly renowned international schools.

Calipro : Math, 4 - 6 years experience, definitely attractive....but that is if any of the high school math teachers leave their posts in Japan.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And if they don't fill it with a married teaching couple! Cheaper for schools to do that, especially if the other spouse also fills a need for the school.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="shadowjack"]And if they don't fill it with a married teaching couple! Cheaper for schools to do that, especially if the other spouse also fills a need for the school.[/quote]

when i get married, ill work on getting my wife certified. (if I dont meet another teacher) western women dont really do it for me though.... lol
FrenchGurl

More information

Post by FrenchGurl »

Thank you all for your replies. The settling in allowance is a one time allowance paid on arrival in Japan.
There is no housing benefit at all, the school will not pay any deposits or agree to any type of guarantee with a property owner. They will only provide a letter verifying my employment and salary.
cstone

Japan Salary

Post by cstone »

Hi FrenchGurl,

This is my first post since joining the forum. I would typically hold my comments, but this is too important.

I recently retired ( after 9 years) from what is considered by many to the be the #1 school in Tokyo. I have nothing but great things to say about my time there.

You state that the school to which you are applying is not offering either a housing allowance or assistance in finding housing. This help is crucial for you.

The mysteries of "key money" + $$ upfront for utilities, establishing banking ( need an address for that), coupled with the inherent racism of many Japanese landlords can make this a nightmare scenario for you. There needs to be someone on your side to help you out with this.

Our school walked us through everything with a person whose sole job was to take care of housing and settling in. I know that not all schools are able to afford this, and I was incredibly spoiled, and appreciated every bit of help.

BUT, ... this is very important to know. Japanese landlords are notorious for not wanting to rent to foreigners. I lived in Tokyo and faced this issue, and know people who had to have the school rep + Japanese teachers from the school go with them every time they wanted to look at an apartment.

You [b]will[/b] need help. Make sure they give it to you, or give you the name of someone who will. Ask for it it in writing.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Japan/Tokyo living. I had 9 years and 3 different apartments there. I have some recommendations, should you wish to hear them, about furnishing your place once you get it. It is info that, had I known it when I moved, would have saved me big bucks !
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Let's look at it this way : You got your foot in the door in Japan....ahead of all the others in the line. This in itself is a good thing. Yes, the salary you will get at Kobe is low ( esp. without the housing allowance ). But you will survive...hopefully.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

You'll survive. I lived on Kobe as an ESL teacher and earned 270,000 a month. Rent and I think tax was paid out of this amount. I travelled, saved and had a decent life. Kobe is an easy place to live.