Jakarta International School

senator

Jakarta International School

Post by senator »

How is this school now?

Is traffic and pollution in Jakarta as bad as it was?

Where do teachers live?

Salary and benefits still look great.

Anyone who is there now or there within the last 2 years who could respond?

Thanks.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I worked there a few years ago. It was a great place to work. Excellent benefits. Housing was a bit of an issue as singles were put into small apartments (1 bedroom!) within walking distance of the main campus, meanwhile most married couples and families were put into a large complex (with houses of 4 bedrooms) about a half hour (depending on traffic!) away.

After your first year, you could put in for a housing allowance and move elsewhere and find something quite decent (as a single or family) if you were chosen.

I didn't realise how good I had it there until I left. They have a bank, ATM and post on campus, as well as a coffee bar. Great facilities. Amazing students! Brilliant colleagues. Lovely campus.

I was able to save money without even trying. If you live in the US, they will deposit your salary straight into your US account. You can easily afford household help (maid, cook, driver). I found the Indonesian people to be kind and warm.

There are great travel opportunities throughout Indonesia. I saw fascinating things in my time there. The school even has a cabin in the mountains and a house by the water that each foreign staff get for the weekend to get away from the heat & craziness of the city.

So why would anyone ever leave?

It's far from just about everywhere. Bali (and the rest of Indo) is great, but to get anywhere else, you have to catch a connecting flight in Singapore. Not a fun social scene for women. I had heard about it before I arrived, but didn't believe it until I saw it. If you have been to Bangkok, suffice it to say, things are much worse in Jakarta. Health care is poor and for any real medical treatment, people go to Singapore or Bangkok. Pollution & traffic are an issue. There is frequent flooding and I would often see dead rats on the streets. There is a big mall culture but no real museums or anything else to speak of. There were some hotel bombings in the time that I was there- pretty scary. Security at the school is very tight. Same at apartments. It does wear on you.

All in all, I would say it is definitely a top school and worth a few years time. Many people are able to stay quite a while. (Golden handcuffs, they say- benefits are just too good to leave) In retrospect, I wish I had stayed a bit longer and reaped more of the benefits- although admittedly it is a difficult place to live.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I had a friend who left there last year. Basically I heard the same thing as Indogal. My friend said working at the school was great and the kids were great. Money was great. Professional development opportunities were good.

Lack of social opportunities (dating) and traffic were the real killers.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I'd like to support the earlier posters.

The school is exceptional - in fact, I'd say it is getting better, as there has been a change in senior management and there appears to be far less dissent or instability in the school (compared to 2006-9).

The city of Jakarta - well, it can wear on you.

Single women do find the dating situation frustrating - single men less so!

Having said that, I would certainly recommend the school. It is one of the better ones, IMO.

Some people do say the workload is over the top. The reality, I understand, is that if you want to be a workaholic, you can be. However, the school encourages a pretty good work-life balance and the workload is reasonable.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

I've always been a big admirer of the package staff gets at JIS, its always been considered one of the best. We lived and worked in Jakarta for two years (at a different school) and have fond memories. You must have a sense of adventure however.

Thanks!!