advice on best course to follow for a newbie

inman

Post by inman »

Hi,

For the PGCE(i)'s, I agree that most schools won't accept that alone without any other experience, whereas if you got a PGCE direct from the UK then that wouldn't be a problem. But, if you've got some referenced international school experience and interview well then in my opinion, it doesn't make much difference what kind of PGCE or certification you have, especially if your experience goes beyond 4 or 5 years. After 4 or 5 years post qualification what you've done in that time matters much more than the piece of paper you got 5 years before. I just read a post by about the London spring fair, and how the author had 5 or 6 interviews without certification at all, but does have the PYP experience.

So, how can you get into an international school then, you may ask. If you were looking at doing a PGCE(i) then I'd target a low level school that will give you a mentor and let you do your teaching practice there. Maybe there you can try and get some agreement that suits both you and the school about staying on for a second year. You could train for your first year getting a lower salary, and maybe agree to stay on for a second for only a little extra, or something like that. You will need 2 years experience. 1 year will not be enough. The benefit for the school is that they get someone who's enthusiastic, committed and doesn't cost them a lot, which is often quite appealing for lower end schools, wherever you are. What you get out of it is your qualification and some referenced international school experience.

I really sympathise with your situation because I think there are a lot of Hakwon teachers that throw their resumes at international schools in Korea. Another email from a another Hakwon teacher isn't going to attract a lot of attention, unless it's really special, so it's going to be hard to separate yourself from the crowd as someone different. For this reason I wouldn't email, I'd give them a call or visit. Calling and having a chat with the principal, or going through the front door and presenting yourself as a dedicated person who wants to become better certified and experienced might at least get you in the door.

Best of luck to you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

A PGCE (NQT without QTS) is the working level qualification for ISs. Only top tier British schools will require QTs.
The PGCEi isnt worthless, i know teachers who have teaching jobs at lower tier (low second and third tier schools) with a PGCEi, though in these cases they were at the school without any qualification to begin with

@lbrooks2010

I have very different advice for you then the others, and the determining factor is this: You dont want to be an international teacher you want to be a Korean teacher. Unless your a veteran established teacher, newbies need to be mobile. Your essentially stuck in one country. Their are only a handful of IS where a western certificate are going to be useful and your never going to get a position with those schools because you have no experience and you cant get experience easily because your stuck in one very limited location.

The other very troubling issue for you is that all your degrees are in "social science" which im thinking are psychology, sociology, anthropology? While IB has these as separate teaching areas, those arent exactly high needs areas, and in many curriculums fall under the very broad category of social studies/humanities. if you had science/math/technology related degrees there may be some third tier school in SK that would hire you, but not for social science. Which brings up the next issue that even if you get certified as a teacher, those teaching subjects arent in high demand and with zero experience your not going to be marketable, add the complication that your not mobile and thats a non starter for a teaching career.

What you need to do is find out what the local schools are looking for? Do some research on what the needs of your location are. talk to them about what you could do to be attractive to their school. mention your interested in getting certified and have the teach ready program in the USA your pursuing and if they would be willing to mentor you (assuming they are an IS). The other option is you have to consider opening yourself up to the world wide market.