advice on best course to follow for a newbie

lbrooks2010

advice on best course to follow for a newbie

Post by lbrooks2010 »

Hello all,

I read basically all the relevant posts so that I would not have to post any redundant topics but I still could not find enough info from old posts. I hope this community can be of some help in sorting this situation I have now.

I have been teaching subjects in hakwons that cater to international schools kids in Seoul for the past 2 years. I am trying to transition to international schools, but I also have

1. no certification
2. no real K12 teaching experience (other than the hakwon stint mentioned above)
3. to be in Seoul because of family. (meaning I cannot fly back to the States for a certification for a year or so).

Based on the informational due diligence that I had put in, I realize that my only chance at employment is at a third tier school and even that may not be likely because the recruiting season has passed by a few months.

My questions are these:

1. What is the best certification route for someone like me? I do not just want a piece of paper. Ideally I want to learn new theories and techniques used in classrooms to enhance my teaching experience. Of course, my options are severely limited by my immobility but any suggestions. Money imposes some restrictions as well as I am loathed to spend another 15K a year tuition as I have had spent lots of money on BA and 2 MAs and would really like to not incur that much if I can avoid it. But again, I do not just want a piece of paper. I heard the State of MA offers a quick way by just taking a test? Any thoughts? I figure if most online programs are pretty much formality to obtain a piece of paper, why not go through the cheapest route?

2. what else could I do to enhance my resume? take IB workshops for instance? Someone had suggested this but is this really worth the money.

3. Since I am searching within just one city, is it worth it to sign up with Search Associates. They charge a nontrivial fee. What services do they offer that I cannot do myself?

Please assist. I have a BA and 2 MAs, all in the social sciences. Sigh.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

First of all, to be brutally honest, none of the good schools are going to even consider you. No teaching experience except hakwons. No education degree. No certification.

Calipro and Finedude, I think, are doing alternate certification routes. One of them is in Korea, I believe.

Search those names and see what they are doing.

Good luck! There are always ways to make something happen if you really want it to!
sid

Post by sid »

FastTrain and Teacher's Training Center for International Education offer some options. The first could lead to a US teaching certification/qualification. The second would not, but if you complete the course, some schools will recognize that as a teaching qualification. My school wouldn't, to be honest. It's a good qual, in my opinion, more than a piece of paper and probably better than quite a few state-backed certifications, but my school and this country insist on a state- or nation-backed certification.

Both those options will require summer travel to the US or UK. And will cost money.

The advice you've gotten above is good. You must get some sort of qualification to be considered. A BA in education or a certification.

IB and other courses won't help. The low-tier schools that would take you without certification, they won't have IB anything.

Please understand we're not trying to be mean. You asked for the straight truth, and you're getting it. While a BA and 2 MA are impressive, they are not what you need for entry to quality international schools.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I sold my car / possessions and came to Korea to get my teaching license / certification.

I could work at night and do my program during the day.

The program I am doing is the best imo all things considered.

TeacherReady ~ University of West Florida

$5,000 USD

8 months

It is a online program that requires you to be placed in a school with a mentor teacher. You will have field assignments to complete for each unit (7 total units) The field assignments include observations, interviews, subbing, lesson planning, and student teaching. The program is very accommodating and lenient which is awesome. Once you finish the program you must return to the US to take the licensing tests for the state of Florida. (3 total) Upon passing the tests you will hold the state of Florida's Professional Teaching License. At which point you will be free to work in the US or at International Schools abroad. I return to the states in December and will take my tests then attend the UNI Fair in February.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="CaliPro"]I sold my car / possessions and came to Korea to get my teaching license / certification.

I could work at night and do my program during the day.

The program I am doing is the best imo all things considered.

TeacherReady ~ University of West Florida

$5,000 USD

8 months

It is a online program that requires you to be placed in a school with a mentor teacher. You will have field assignments to complete for each unit (7 total units) The field assignments include observations, interviews, subbing, lesson planning, and student teaching. The program is very accommodating and lenient which is awesome. Once you finish the program you must return to the US to take the licensing tests for the state of Florida. (3 total) Upon passing the tests you will hold the state of Florida's Professional Teaching License. At which point you will be free to work in the US or at International Schools abroad. I return to the states in December and will take my tests then attend the UNI Fair in February.[/quote]

I did the TeacherReady program as well and don't have much to add other than another vote. It was an easy process to do around a busy life. It was easier for me as I live in Florida, but it is a good way to get what you need. Best of luck to you!
lbrooks2010

Post by lbrooks2010 »

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I guess the winner is FL's Teacher Ready program.

Will sign up as soon as I come up with 5K.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="lbrooks2010"]Thank you all for your helpful comments. I guess the winner is FL's Teacher Ready program.

Will sign up as soon as I come up with 5K.[/quote]

There are coherts every 3 - 4 months. You pay in instalments of roughly 600 dollars each month.
lbrooks2010

Post by lbrooks2010 »

Thanks Calipro.

Two more things though.

Do the mentors have to come from schools (not "academies," aka hakwons?)? What happens if you submit the hakwon info instead of school info?

By the way, won't these mentors feel annoyed at being asked to do this by Teacher Ready? Will Teacher Ready be imposing a lot of administrative responsibilities on them?
sid

Post by sid »

I don't know about Florida specifically, but other states with similar overseas training options require you to work in an accredited school.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="lbrooks2010"]Thanks Calipro.

Two more things though.

Do the mentors have to come from schools (not "academies," aka hakwons?)? What happens if you submit the hakwon info instead of school info?

By the way, won't these mentors feel annoyed at being asked to do this by Teacher Ready? Will Teacher Ready be imposing a lot of administrative responsibilities on them?[/quote]

You cant do your field assignments in any hagwon or even a korean public school. It has to be an accredited International School.

They don't have to accept you / be your mentor. So if someone has a real issue with it I doubt they would agree. Generally though, most people like to help out fellow / aspiring teachers imo. The mentors dont really do a whole lot outside of an interview, reviewing a few lesson plans, and observing you teach their class.
hikkaduwa

Post by hikkaduwa »

Sunderland (UK) has an online PGCE course.

You pay more; GBP 6000, but it is completely online.

I was looking at this option myself and 2 of my colleagues have done this course and were really happy with it.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="hikkaduwa"]Sunderland (UK) has an online PGCE course.

You pay more; GBP 6000, but it is completely online.

I was looking at this option myself and 2 of my colleagues have done this course and were really happy with it.[/quote]

That is a PGCEi which doesn't carry QTS and many schools won't accept it.
hikkaduwa

Post by hikkaduwa »

I thought that QTS is only needed if you want to teach in the UK, for other countries a PGCEi is enough, even for schools in Europe?

And I thought that PGCE and a teaching licence from the US are basically the same with the PGCE having the advantage that it is completely online?

Personally I am planning to go to the UK and do the PGCE+QTS there coz it makes more sense. I know that for that route, you have to be physically there, it cannot be done online. However, if I wouldn't have wanted to live in the UK, I would have probably gone for the PGCE only thing.

Why would a university like Sunderland offer a PGCE only (or PGCEi) if it is not really valid? Why would it cost so much? And how does it really differ from an US license?

Asking all these questions because I am still trying to find out what the quickest way is for me to get qualified and if PGCEi is not going to help me, I can strike that off my list of options :)
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Depends what you mean by valid. It's valid in the sense that it satisfies the work permit requirements for teachers in some countries (i.e. Thailand) and also enables you to legitmately apply for jobs where the requirement is a BA + PGCE. It won't however lead to QTS, which counts you out for teaching in a UK government school.

I believe Nottingham's course is referred to as the PGCEi, Sunderland retains the standard PGCE title.

I did the Nottingham course a good friend the Sunderland. His was a lot more challenging, and twice the price. Mainly due to the observations/reflections, that the Sunderland course has, which the Nottingham course does not contain.

In the end I'd say that if your intention is ONLY to teach outside of the UK, and you want to keep working overseas whilst studying, they make sense. My friend until recently worked at BIS Phuket and I will be beginning at my second IB world school (in Bangkok) this summer, so although your options may be more limited, you can still use these PGCE's to gain access to IS in desirable locations. Otherwise go to the UK and the traditionally taught PGCE followed by QTS route.
hikkaduwa

Post by hikkaduwa »

Thank you for your answer :)

I believe the Sunderland PGCE is valid in Europe as well, but not in all countries. Countries like The Netherlands where you must have a BEd or equivalent because of government requirements, will still ask for a PGCE+QTS.