working in the USA

Mick Travis

working in the USA

Post by Mick Travis »

... is this possible for non-US citizens? I've seen a couple of ads for interesting looking IB postings in Hawaii and Louisiana, but I don't know if it is worth applying.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Yes, it is possible.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Yes, definitely possible. My former school district recruited a lot of teachers from the Phillipines because there was such a shortage for that rural area. If you're a math or science teacher, or are willing to work in what's called an "underserved" area, you should get hired easily.
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

[quote="heyteach"]Yes, definitely possible. My former school district recruited a lot of teachers from the Phillipines because there was such a shortage for that rural area. If you're a math or science teacher, or are willing to work in what's called an "underserved" area, you should get hired easily.[/quote]

I can confirm this. The state of Louisiana in particular hired over 50 Filipino teachers to teach math and science a few years ago.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Its very possible, if a private school or school district wants you bad enough they can get you a you a work visa for the US.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Yes, it's definitely possible. It's much the same as what western teachers go through when applying overseas. The school will have to sponsor you on a work visa, but as long as they can show you have the qualifications that they couldn't find with other applicants it should be quite easy. Are the jobs you are interested in specifically targeting overseas applicants? The only reason I ask is that I'd be up front and state you'd like to work at their school, but you need a visa. Good luck.
writer

Post by writer »

There is a huge difference between working at a US international school that is looking for an international staff and a school that has hired people from out of the country to fill hard to fill jobs. I would recommend doing a lot of research.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@writer

I cant disagree with you, but its still possible and not improbable. A lot of factors are significant such as location and teaching subject and what country the applicant is applying from for starters.

The best research would be to contact the school, tell them you need a visa, and ask if its worth applying. No matter what you read, or research it matters what the school WILL do, not what they technically CAN do.