Trailing spouse

musobabe

Trailing spouse

Post by musobabe »

Hi everyone

Going recruiting in 2014. A couple of questions about trailing spouses. Does it make a difference whether the spouse is male or female? And as I am gathering together my application materials has anyone got experience with stating up front that you don't need flights/benefits etc for the spouse? My spouse has his own online business and so we are looking at places where he could continue with this. I think it is crucial to try and at least get a foot through the interview door!

Thanks a lot...
inmortus

Re: Trailing spouse

Post by inmortus »

For some Muslim countries it might make a difference if your spouse is Male as they will not allow a male to be the legal dependent of a female...

Other countries don't have this restriction. As to stating upfront: just keep in mind some schools will simply not consider any teachers with non teaching spouses by policy (they won't care about why you don't mind not having benefits for your spouse).

Like many things in the IS world, there's no "generic" answer here. Some schools will mind, some will not, some will consider it, some will not, in some countries it might be an issue, in some countries it might not...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have seen trailing male and female spouses. However, for many countries, if yours is a same-sex marriage (and nothing you state implies that it is, but with the growing number of ssm's, this question is bound to come up one day!), you won't get a spousal visa due to the conservative values of the country.
sid

Post by sid »

Several ME countries will allow a wife to sponsor a trailing husband. In Qatar, new laws last August keep the possibility for a wife to sponsor a husband, but he can no longer work. For you, this might not be an issue - the work visa applies to getting an official job in an official company in Qatar. If he's running something from home, it might be fine.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Outside of a few places in the ME it doesnt matter if your spouse is a male or female.

Outside of Europe many countries do not recognize same sex marriages, nor do they recognize "cohabitation" between unmarried partners and you would not qualify for a dependent/spousal visa. A school will also not sponsor a work or business visa for a spouse that is not employed by the school. While its common in many places for self employed to work without the appropriate visa, understand that it is illegal, and could have consequences.

Travel relocation expenses are not really an issue. Either the school provides them or they dont, a single dependent is not going to increase your marketability and presenting it, may imply or infer that your application and resume are not strong enough on their merits.