Dealing with U.S. mail while teaching internationally

emilyhurd

Dealing with U.S. mail while teaching internationally

Post by emilyhurd »

We are beginning our international teaching career in August and I am trying to figure out what to do with U.S. mail. We are getting ready to sell our house. Should I set up a p.o. box? Does anyone use Outbox or Firefly?
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I just pay for a PO box for the year (it's not too expensive). Then I have a friend in my city send me everything in it every few months. That has worked really well for me. Really the only mail I need is related to my house though (didn't sell, just rented out). If you don't have any other bills you could just do a PO box and pick it up once a year when you come back to the States.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

1. Change every bill you can to paperless. Most companies do that now.
2. Use a bank with great internet banking/online bill pay.
3. Get permission and change your address to a parent, brother, sister, best friend, etc... and have mail sent there. It is free.

Honestly I am unsure why the US mail even exists. I have been gone a little over four years and, for the most part, my paper mail has all but ended. When I come State-side every summer my small pile of mail is 99% junk. Whenever something shows up that looks important my brother sends me a an email and we open it together over Skype....but it usually turns out to be junk too.

Hope that helps.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I'm with Pikefish. I have my credit card balance, mortgage, and utilities debited automatically from my bank account. Most statements I need for filing taxes are accessible online which I can print, scan, and send to my accountant. My mail is forwarded to my sister, and anything that slips into my mailbox is checked by my neighbor. Mail forwarding is good for six months, after which you have to reregister (online).

Luckily, the USPS still exists for those all-important wedding invitations--and consequent thank-you notes for the gift.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

All of the above re: online banking. I have other stuff mailed to my parents' house and if it's important, they scan and email me a copy. I made sure to have a financial power of attorney - my brother - who can sign for financial things and check my accounts if needed. I also signed on w/ a tax service that works w/ ex-pats - http://globaltaxonline.net/. They deal with all the headache of the tax forms, etc.

Does your school receive/send mail via the US Embassy pouch? Mine does and this allows us to receive mail at the school (though it takes a bit longer - but it's sent to a U.S. addresses) and also send letters out.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt get a PO BOX, unless someone can regularly check it for you then anything in it that you check a year later is likely going to be outdated to reply or do anything with.
Also be advised that your PO BOX is a legal address, meaning if a government agency or other business sends you notice to that address, it starts the clock ticking on any timeframe you have to reply. For instance someone steals the license plates from your car, puts them on theirs and runs a bunch of red lights. Those citations go to your address (PO BOX) and sit there, and sicne you didnt appeal or respond to them you get back and find there is a warrant issued for your arrest and you have to pay the tickets. In such case its better to have your international address as your real address.
You may run into other problems such as your credit card is lost/stolen but your address is as a PO BOX and you cant check that box to get the new card, and some back wont allow you to change your address to an international one over the phone, you have to do it in person.