Recommendations for schools in Japan?

Teachermom

Recommendations for schools in Japan?

Post by Teachermom »

Going recruiting next year, but trying to do my homework early.

Looking for a school with a mix of nationalities in the student body so that my kids aren't outsiders in their classes. Looking for great administration, and enough salary to live on (teaching couple, 2 kids). Doesn't have to be a huge school or huge salary, though I wouldn't say no!

Also doesn't have to be Tokyo, though we did love that city when we visited.

Any recommendations?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Tokyo/Yokohama region:

Yokohama International School (IGCSE/IB)
American School in Japan (AP)

Kobe/Osaka region:

Canadian Academy (IB)
Osaka International School (IB)

Off the beaten path:

Hiroshima International School (IGCSE/IB)
Fukuoka International School (IB)

There is also a possible United World College opening soon in Karuizawa I believe.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

pgrass thanks, do you have any thoughts about Nagoya international school? Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the paid section of the site.

I'm looking to get to Japan in 2014 as well.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="buffalofan"]pgrass thanks, do you have any thoughts about Nagoya international school? Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the paid section of the site.

I'm looking to get to Japan in 2014 as well.[/quote]

No thoughts about it. A friend's friend works there and seems happy enough. I should've included it on my list I suppose of the best (possibly the only?) option in the Nagoya region.
inman

Post by inman »

I also find Nagoya International School interesting. Indeed, the reviews are very mixed and I get the impression that it would be much harder salarywise if you were single or had dependents. But a teaching couple would probably be ok. Nagoya is supposed to be a very nice place to live.

All the other schools already mentioned are the same ones I'd mention. What would be a deal breaker for me with any of these though (and I'm not sure where Nagoya stand on this) would be scholarships for kids. Even if you have to pay 50%, as some schools ask, that's going to be a lot of money.

I've heard good things about Kobe IS and Fukuoka IS, though I understand Fukuoka had a lot of problems a few years ago and lost a lot of good staff. The salary won't be massive at either but they're apparently ok places to work though.

Regarding % of local and international students, if you're going through Search Associates then the school pages show breakdowns of these numbers. I find this very useful when looking at different schools.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

I currently work at a really good ( premier / top ) international school in Tokyo. I save heaps of money in one of the most fascinating, vibrant, "alive" cities in the world. I have been here for 7 years.

Contrary to what people believe, you actually do get to save a lot on the salary. The yen has weakened considerably but for the most part, things are still greatly affordable with the salary. I am not frugal. I go out every weekend, spending a good 30, 000 yen each weekend. I shop...a lot. I also travel twice or three times a year somewhere outside of Japan ( this year, I traveled to Africa, Europe and back home ).

However, I will tell you now that it's very difficult to get into Japan ( especially Tokyo ). There is not a lot of turn over, even if the school was bad bc the salary and the lifestyle are pretty amazing. I think that's a lot on what hold people here.

However, stay away from K. International school. I applied there a few years ago ( not that long ago ) and was appalled at the salary table they showed me. At 6 years, you would be making only 4.0 - 4.2 million yen per year ( that is gross - you have to pay taxes in Japan which is quite high as you have to pay THREE taxes : a) National Health care, b) Income tax and c) City tax...depending on where you live and your salary bracket and I live in a very ritzy part of Tokyo, you could end up paying close to around $ 10, 000 USD for altogether every year ).

This is the typical STARTING AVERAGE salary in Tokyo ( at international schools - both good and bad ) : All the salary is GROSS.

Starting - 3rd Tier schools - ( 0 - 2 years of experience ) : 3.8 million yen - 4.2 million yen.

Starting - 1st Tier / Premier schools - ( 0 - 2 years of experience ) : 6.0 million yen - 6.5 million yen

Maximum salaries I have seen ( top ) : 10.0 - 12.0 million yen.

I am making close to 6 figures right now on my 7th year. I save close to 50 % of my salary every year and this does NOT include the investments. However, my position at the top tier school is an exception and not usually the norm.

Most teachers here with past 2 years experience make around 5.0 million yen - 7.0 million / year.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

In regards to students :

Don't let the student population deter you from applying at a specific school. Japanese students are AMAZING to teach. The parents are highly supportive and have such a great deal of respect for parents. In fact, most international schools have a high population of Japanese students ( some are biracial and some are just very wealthy Japanese nationals who can afford to go to international private schools ). The Japanese students who enter the international schools can already speak English fluently ( or near fluency ) bc there are tests that they have to take in order to get in.

In fact, that's another plus in working in Japan : The students are highly motivated, extremely polite, well-mannered with a great deal of respect and reverence for teachers bc of their parents. At parent interviews, Japanese parents are always the ones to dress up in their best attire and with the most humble demeanour, taking in your advice with the utmost respect.

But once more, I stress : It is quite difficult to get into Japan for it's a top destination for teachers bc of the a) Salary, b) Lifestyle, c) Students to teach and d) The country and culture itself. You have a lot of foreigners here ( especially males ) who avidly seek Japanese women to marry so that they can stay here forever. Many teaching couples have been here for over 10 years, some thinking retirement. Singles often stay for 5 years and over....and then end up coming back ( like me ). Japan has a very strong allure and it's quite an easy place to live in DESPITE the language barriers. Hence, not a lot of turn over bc the male teachers ( usually married to Japan ) are here for life. Sadly, the only time that there was a major " turn over " was largely due to the disaster in March 2011 when many foreign teachers and foreigners left Japan to avoid the natural disasters. However, after 2012, the foreigners are trickling / coming back to resume their jobs. Tokyo still has a massive expat population.

With BOTH schools that I worked for here in Tokyo, the head masters would always talk about the loooonnnnngggg line ups that our schools generate at fairs. Indeed, when I went to my first ( and only ) fair over many years ago, the Japanese schools ( YIS - Yokohama International School, ASIJ - American School in Japan, TIS - Tokyo International School and two schools in the Kansai regon ) all had the longest lines with aggressive looking teachers all vying for that one spot and one glimmer from the recruiter's eye.

Japan is a wonderful thing to have on your resume too.

Also, a few recruiters and interviewers I have met have expressed great interest in the fact that for a newbie ( when I was a newbie 7 years ago ), that I managed to get a prime spot in Tokyo. This gives them the predisposition to regard me bc they must be thinking, " Ah, new teacher in Tokyo...this person definitely won the tough challenge of getting the foot in the door...must be a decent teacher ". Another recruiter told me that it's also good to hire teachers coming from Japanese international schools bc it is guaranteed that the teachers probably worked very hard ( yes, you DO work VERY VERY HARD in international schools in Japan. For one thing, the Japanese work culture is insane. You have people who literally die at their desks from overwork in big companies and the country is known detrimentally as a workaholic country. Many teachers take stride with this and start to assume these very " Japanese qualities " at international schools to stay at the top of their game ). Hence, having Japan as your working post on your resume attracts a lot of recruiters from other countries already. I've had offers from Europe and Singapore every year.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

For a new teacher in Tokyo, how much could one save if they commuted to work from outside the main city / expensive spots and lived moderately?

How would ppl rank the top 5 Asian countries in order of "savable" income?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

My list in no particular order:

@Teachermom

My list would be:
ASIJ
Lycée Français International de Tokyo
Tokyo IS
Yokohama IS
Fukuoka IS
Nagoya IS
Nishimachi IS
Hiroshima IS
Kyoto IS
Hokkaido IS
Canadian Academy
British School-Tokyo
Canadian IS

These are the tier 1 (including elite/premier) and upper 2nd tier schools I would consider in Japan.

Really though with your logistical situation you need to apply anywhere and everywhere regardless of tier or quality. Japan is a very desirable, highly sought after region, and generally has low turnover, which makes the likelihood of finding a school with vacancies for both you and your spouse problematic. Add to that the competition and limiting yourself to just "the best" schools in Japan will likely leave you disappointed and frustrated. Just the fact you had to ask in this forum is indicative that you dont have the type of resume that would make you competitive at the top tier schools in Japan.
Further, even lower tier schools in Japan are of superior quality and experience then what you would think of as a "third tier school" and is partially why tier status isnt valid or comparable outside of a particular region. I would put some third tier Japanese schools like K.IS up against a number of "good" western schools and pick K.IS.

I would agree that the Japanese health network is very efficient and high quality, and the pension when you qualify makes Japan a viable retirement destination.

@CaliPro

Whatever savings youd make living on housing would just be shifted to transportation costs most likely.

While people at ASIJ can save unless you have dual incomes its very difficult to save money in Tokyo, its consistently ranked the most expensive city to live in, a generous housing allowance/subsidy would go a long way to increasing your saving potential, but thats uncommon.

My top 5 asian regions for savings:

1) S. Korea
2) Thailand
3) China
4) Malaysia
5) Taiwan

While not technically Asian, its in the region, id add Australia to the top of the list.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Above poster said he saved 50% of his income every year.

50% seems like it would be a decent amount in Tokyo/Japan.

Never thought of Australia. Americans can get jobs there and save a nice chunk?

Surprising you rate Thailand above China in savings potential (im talking about dollar amount not necessarily % of income). Wouldnt even of thought Thailand to be in the top 5.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont buy the 50% savings, for the typical IT. Maybe if you had two incomes and no kids and subsidized housing or housing allowance you could save 1 salary (50%), or you were single and at ASIJ but otherwise no.

Australi is its own continent, its not part of the Asian continent, depending who you talk to (mainly non-australians) its part of Oceania. Regardless its in the "area" region.

A senior teacher with HOD duties can make 6 figures easy (regardless of nationality) and the woman tend to fall on the "knockout" side, and Australian men have a reputation for being "unappreciative".

Before the recent taxation in China I would have ranked them above Thailand. While costs of living in both are rising, China's especially in cities like Beijing and Shanghai, costs have grown very quickly. Considering the scale of inflation and the cost of living, Thailand and Bangkok, remains still very cheap compared to other asian cities.

This was a contentious issue between Ichiro and myself last year, but at the right school (ISB) you can make 6 figures, and several of the upper tier schools get pretty close, thats a VERY comfortable standard of living and the less you have to spend on living the more you save.
pgrass

Re: Reply

Post by pgrass »

[quote="PsyGuy"]My list in no particular order:

My list would be:
ASIJ
Lycée Français International de Tokyo
Tokyo IS
Yokohama IS
Fukuoka IS
Nagoya IS
Nishimachi IS
Hiroshima IS
Kyoto IS
Hokkaido IS
Canadian Academy
British School-Tokyo
Canadian IS

These are the tier 1 (including elite/premier) and upper 2nd tier schools I would consider in Japan.

[/quote]

You have a couple of shockers on there that really shouldn't be: One of the Canadian ones definitely shouldn't be there. You are talking about a school that allows a maximum entry of step 2 on the salary scale which then remains frozen for the entire time you are there. Oh, and you don't get paid for the summer until after a few years of service.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@pgrass

I imagine there are a few ITs in the world who think ASIJ shouldnt be on my list either.

There are schools in Northern Europe (municipal schools) that dont have a salary scale at all. Teachers get paid one salary regardless of experience, based on every teacher having the same general job description and function.
pgrass

Re: Comment

Post by pgrass »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@pgrass

I imagine there are a few ITs in the world who think ASIJ shouldnt be on my list either.

There are schools in Northern Europe (municipal schools) that dont have a salary scale at all. Teachers get paid one salary regardless of experience, based on every teacher having the same general job description and function.[/quote]

I fail to understand your point.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@pgrass

Salary potential is not the sole determining factor in school quality, and thus what tier it is.

Furthermore, a school could have 30 steps on its salary scale from $1000 to $15,000 in $500 increment steps and advance a IT one step for each half year and that salary would not "impress" many ITs.
Conversely, an IS could have 2 salary steps of: (1) $50,000 (Interns) and (2) $100,000 (Teachers) and freeze everyone at step 2 and a great many number of ITs would be very happy with that salary scale.