Recommendations for schools in Japan?

pgrass

Re: Comment

Post by pgrass »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@pgrass

Salary potential is not the sole determining factor in school quality, and thus what tier it is.

Furthermore, a school could have 30 steps on its salary scale from $1000 to $15,000 in $500 increment steps and advance a IT one step for each half year and that salary would not "impress" many ITs.
Conversely, an IS could have 2 salary steps of: (1) $50,000 (Interns) and (2) $100,000 (Teachers) and freeze everyone at step 2 and a great many number of ITs would be very happy with that salary scale.[/quote]

I worked at the school. It shouldn't be on the list. Do you even know anything about it?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@pgrass

Yes

Its not "the" list, its my list.

Your free to include and exclude whatever schools you wish in the exercising of your opinion. My own counsel will i keep on who is and who is not to be in the upper tiers.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@pgrass

Yes

Its not "the" list, its my list.

Your free to include and exclude whatever schools you wish in the exercising of your opinion. My own counsel will i keep on who is and who is not to be in the upper tiers.[/quote]

Care to share what you know about it? Please explain why it is on your list.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I dont buy the 50% savings, for the typical IT. Maybe if you had two incomes and no kids and subsidized housing or housing allowance you could save 1 salary (50%), or you were single and at ASIJ but otherwise no.[/quote]

Of course not, Lieguy, bc you're such an expert. However, many of my colleagues ( whether at the premier school or somewhere else ) do save a fair bit of money here. No one is broke, I will tell you that. Some are single...some are married...some are teaching couples...some have dependents. In my previous school, I was single and still saved a decent $ 40, 000 / year.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="CaliPro"]For a new teacher in Tokyo, how much could one save if they commuted to work from outside the main city / expensive spots and lived moderately?

Here's an example of how salaries would work at international schools in Tokyo. This is an example that I took from knowledge of colleagues, acquaintances that work in various types of international schools ( 1, 2, 3rd tiers etc ).

Let's assume the following :

1) YOU
- Newbie teacher ( 0-2 years of experience )
- Landed a job at a 2nd tier school in Tokyo
- Salary is at the very low end of the international school scales ( 4.0 million yen - 4.5 million yen starting ).

2) INCOMING SALARY : 300, 000 yen ( net ) / month
- 4.2 - 4.5 million yen / year ( gross )
- 350, 000 yen / month ( gross )
* 300, 000 - 310, 000 / month net ( Newbies do not get the income tax in the first year. It is in the 2nd year that they are hit and the income tax is not that high. However, since in Japan, you would have to pay 3 taxes, the taxes do add uo ).

3) COSTS OF LIVING :
- Rent : Usually subsidised or provided housing allowance ( Most teachers pay around 50, 000 yen per month after it has been subsidised as rent in Tokyo if NOT subsidised falls in this range 100, 000 yen - 200, 000 yen, depending on the area. Forget the Roppingi Hills, Ebisu, Daikanyama, Omotesando areas...you will be looking at $ 5000 and up for rent ).

- Transportation : If you live at least 1 hr outside of Tokyo, you are looking at 1200 yen per day ( 600 yen one way x 2 ). So, you would be spending a good 24 000 yen every month.

- Cell phone : 6000 yen / month ( iphones, smartphones etc )

- Utilities : Cheap in Japan ( electricity, water and such are very cheap ). 10, 000 - 12, 000 yen for everything every month.

- Internet : 5000 yen month.

- Groceries : 28 000 yen month ( if you eat at around 5000 - 7000 yen month ).

COSTS : 115 - 120 000 yen ( expenses ).

4) SAVINGS : You still have around 100, 000 yen to spend. You can be frugal or not. But ultimately, at a VERY LOW END SALARY ( 4.2 - 4.5 is actually a very low end salary in Tokyo ), you are still saving at last $ 1000 a month.