Video CV. Advice please

Portrait

Video CV. Advice please

Post by Portrait »

I am beginning to understand that a video CV is increasingly becoming standard practice.
Can I ask for advice on how it should present, e.g. content etc.
Do they want to a kind of spoken letter of application, or something else?
Thank you
sid

Post by sid »

I have no information on this becoming any sort of norm. Where is this coming from?
I'm not a big fan of the idea. I like to scan a CV, move back and forth between sections, check for certain things that are important to the school/post I'm recruiting for. A video would impede my ability to move at my own pace and in my own order. It would take more time, I think, than viewing a paper CV, and time isn't something I've got when looking at hundreds of applications.
The CVs I've seen have all been paper/digital/static. Not video.
Some applications do now include a website or video portion, which is fine. If the basic CV scans well, I will take the time to investigate further. I'll go through a website or watch a video to find out more about a compelling candidate.
But as the primary means by which I get basic info about experience and qualifications, please no.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Much faster to read a CV than watch one. I have heard some people doing a DVD presentation and others having a website, but paper CV is still the standard.
Portrait

Post by Portrait »

Oh, well that's a relief.
I was asked to do one as part of the application process for a school. They stated that it was 'becoming standard practice.'
I hate cameras, too vain, I guess!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I suspect somebody at that school has been blinded by technology, or else has minions to troll through all the video CVs they must be receiving...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I fully concur with Sid on this. Its by far a standard practice at least in ISs. The traditional resume/CV whether printed on plant fibers or digital (such as pdf) is still by far the standard means of application.

Video teaching demonstrations are becoming more common and requested by schools. In addition more ITs (particularly new ones) compose digital portfolios to market themselves and demonstrate technology proficiency, which may include video interviews or introductions, but they are still a minority.

There is a trend in some of the smaller recruiting agencies (such as IEG) on digital job fairs and pre recorded interviews/introductions. You will also see digital introductions and teaching demonstrations as more common in the ELL and EP market, particularly when applying for university positions.

A recruiter will spend about 20 seconds scanning a resume in the first stage of screening in building a candidate pool, having to locate and then view a video resume/introduction GREATLY cuts into that time, especially considering anything meaningful would take 5-10 minutes. In addition the recruiter has too transcribe your video commentary into a written form anyway, essentially requiring the recruiter to do the work you should have done in the first place. Recruiters just arent going to do that in the early selection process.

You should no however that outside of the job fairs the vast majority of interviews are live video interviews typically done over Skype. Just dont pull a captain underpants.
Portrait

Post by Portrait »

Thank you.
Very helpful information.