Great smaller schools?

Teachermom

Great smaller schools?

Post by Teachermom »

The topic of "Top 10" schools in various regions has been hashed out on this site many times. We all keep seeing the same names crop up as the really well-respected schools. However, almost all of those names are really large schools.

I'd love to hear: what are some GREAT smaller schools? Schools with excellent administration, a good package, and some diversity in the student body. Any region is fine, though I'll be mostly looking in Asia and the Mid East next year. Smaller towns are fine, too.

Any experiences anyone can share?
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I currently teach at Riffa Views International School in Bahrain. It is small (300 students). I think it has a great package - the salary is good, housing is excellent and you walk to school. The director is top-notch and it is a very friendly environment. Pretty good diversity for the Middle East (about half the students are not Bahraini). I am also impressed with the work ethic of the students. Even though they come from prominent families they work hard and want to do their best. The school is kind of under the radar so to speak because it's only about five years old. Also, when speaking of Bahrain St. Christopher's is always mentioned as being the top, but it's a large school and I obviously has that strict British mentality whereas RVIS has a more Americanized teach the students to think and be creative approach. I would not hesitate to recommend RVIS to any of my teacher friends. Good luck in your search.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I really pondered this for a while and with the exception of DoDDS schools, I cant think of any that hit ALL your points. What it really comes down to is that smaller schools dont have the endowment (money, finances) to offer as good of a package as the larger schools with larger enrollments.
The only school I could think of is QSI, as they have some very small schools (like 20 students) and still compensate their teachers well given the size of the program.
National

Post by National »

I wouldn't call QSI great. Some schools are better than others, the compensation is decent, and the admin is hit or miss. Some locations might be good, but I wouldn't call any great. The basic philosophy and weird company values prevent it from reaching great status.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

My apologies, i didnt use the word "great" anywhere in my post. Im not a fan or supporter of QSI at all. I assume your inferring my endorsement of them being great from the original post.
Id have to say theyre one of the least rotten of a barrel of bad apples. When you compare size to package though in some of their programs the package would be stellar if it were scaled to a larger school.
National

Post by National »

I just wanted to make sure the original poster who asked for "great smaller schools" wasn't thinking that QSI fits that label. I think that would be the assumption of most readers of your post since that was the subject thread title.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I, personally, have avoided QSI like the plague. From friends who have worked for them, I know it is a totally round peg in square hole type scenario for me.

However, others' mileage may vary!
bwatts

Post by bwatts »

Met someone at a PD two years ago who had taught at Bandung International School in Indonesia. They loved their time there and enjoyed living away from the hustle of Jakarta.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Vientiane International School has been a great school in the past, but can't vouch for the present.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Things are changing in Bandung now I hear. Decreasing salary and student enrollment. Quite a few long term staff are getting out. The golden days are over I would say.
Dawson

Re: Reply

Post by Dawson »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I really pondered this for a while and with the exception of DoDDS schools, I cant think of any that hit ALL your points. What it really comes down to is that smaller schools dont have the endowment (money, finances) to offer as good of a package as the larger schools with larger enrollments.

That is not true. I am at a small non-profit school and the salary, housing, and lifestyle is the best I've had in the international circuit.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I would add IS Suvia, which is on my top ten list of schools, but its in Fiji, so there a lot of interest when they post a vacacncy which is rare.

@shadowjack

I would never endorse QSI either, but froma technical argument given the compensation of some of their very tiny programs/schools, they compensate very well.

@Dawson

The best youve had in the international circuit, doesnt likely include the larger top tier schools.

Schools fund their endowments from student tuition, the more students the larger the endowment (mainly this is a benefit of the economies of scale), the more money their is for staff compensation.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Have you thought of either of these two schools?

I'm quite a few years removed from direct knowledge of AAS Sofia. However, I think it still probably meets quite a few of your criteria. About 400 students K-12. Solid package and lifestyle.
aas-sofia.org

Another school I try to keep on my radar is Surabaya IS. I've heard both good and bad about it. Seems there have been some financial/leadership issues lately, but hopefully that is getting back on track. Last year, I heard one admin who has a thoroughly extensive understanding of the region really talk this school up. 370 students
http://www.sisedu.net/employment.html

OK, I'll add one more for good measure! This is fun. Lincoln Community School in Ghana. I spoke with an LCS teacher recently who loves the package, and really believes that it is moving in right direction. There is currently a very well thought of leadership team at the school. 700+ students
http://www.lincoln.edu.gh
Dawson

Re: Discussion

Post by Dawson »

The best youve had in the international circuit, doesnt likely include the larger top tier schools.

That's kind of a silly statement. I teach at schools that are a good fit for me. I have not ever paid much attention to the rankings and tiers. Who comes up with those tiers anyway? It's all so subjective so I will gladly teach at a smaller school that may or may not be a top tier school. All I know is the housing is wonderful (2 bedroom villas in a gated community) the salary is high for the region, and the students are wonderful to teach (fun, excited to learn, and very bright) and the endowment of the school is just fine. The president of the board is also a prominent banker in the region so I trust his financial knowledge.

Yes, sounds like a miserable existence, quick help me find one of those top tier schools instead! (Saracasm)
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Discovery School, Tegucigalpa

Considered one of the best schools in the region. Great local staff, lots of great social and travel opportunities. Savings potential is most of your salary, but that is modest in the first place. Tegucigalpa is also kinda polluted, but not anywhere near the India/China problems.

Classes are typically small, and most importantly, students are absolutely wonderful.