Glenelg school info

PsychBean

Glenelg school info

Post by PsychBean »

Hello all.

Does any one have any knowledge of this school? Culture and how it is for expat kids?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I know the head from a prior job. The school is moving in the right direction and she is well thought of and doing right by the staff.

As to student make-up, not sure.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="shadowjack"]I know the head from a prior job. The school is moving in the right direction and she is well thought of and doing right by the staff.

As to student make-up, not sure.[/quote]

Thanks Shadow. Is this the Ruwais location?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Not sure, TBH. Just relating what I know personally of the director.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

What sort of information are you looking for psychbean?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Just what it is like to work there. The culture and work/life balance. From what I understand it is a long day 7:30-4:00 (if I remember correctly). Also what is it like for expat kids, is it truly international? Is there bullying of expat kids. Also, how is it being in a remote location? One colleague states if he shares housing there is a 1k per month bonus! Just the basics about working and living...
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

Psychbean

Elementary or HS/MS for working?

Elementary or HS/MS as a place for ex pats to be a student in?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Just what it is like to work there. The culture and work/life balance. From what I understand it is a long day 7:30-4:00 (if I remember correctly). Also what is it like for expat kids, is it truly international? Is there bullying of expat kids. Also, how is it being in a remote location? One colleague states if he shares housing there is a 1k per month bonus! Just the basics about working and living...
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

There is a big difference between the Elementary School and High School in management style of the Principal and some difference in the makeup of the student profile. You are looking for information about Ruwais campus in particular.

I will speak generally though as this seems to be your concern.

The majority of students are not Emirati but ex pats from Asia, mostly India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Phillipines and Indonesia. There are a few from other Middle Eastern countries. There is very little bullying in either the Elementary or High School among ex pats.

The High School has one campus only so girls and boys mix in the School and Emiratis mix freely with other nationalities so the student body is quite easy going. Elementary is larger and has a highre proportion of Emiratis and this will likely therefore be reflected in the HS as the kids move up.

There are strict working hours which are 7.30 to 4.00 and you have to ask permission to leave the School between those hours. Failue to ask will lead to them reminding you about "contractual obligations".

ES classes are large, MS average and HS mostly small. Although you have to be on site during working hours depending on subject(s) taught your timetable will be likely be reasonable.

The Head of School (responsible for all campuses) changed in December 2011 from Lebanese woman named Rashida to American Angela Fink and most people are happy with that and would say working conditions and culture have improved. In December 2012 Angela Fink was relaced by an Emirati named Ayesha and quickly things started to deteriorate for teachers but she only lasted a short while and she was let go and Angela back in charge.

Principals of most campuses are American and the school sells itself as delivering and American curriculum. ES Principal in Ruwais has an interesting style which some like and some hate. If you like it then life can be ok but for people who dislike it life can be a nightmare. The HS Principal has resigned and will therefore be replaced in the summer of 2013. If you liked her style then life was ok if you didn't then life could be very difficult.

Teaching is very structured and moving more in that direction with lesson plans mandated to be placed on the moodle VLE which is setup and run minimalistically. HS/MS is increasingly US standards based following the appointment of a new Director of Curriculum last year. Courses are increasingly on Rubicon Atlas. They are about micro managing everything you do in the classroom. With a new HS Principal this year I think things may get a bit uncomfortable for us there.

Ruwais is a place that is rural, quiet and owned by ADNOC. Leisure time is often spent with the same people you spend your 7.30-4.00 time with. In the main teachers are professional you will find a sort of dog eat dog mentality and the small size of the place seems to drive people a bit stir crazy.

Staff will often "stab each other in the back" and most will frequently gossip about each other given the opportunity. There are some who have delusions of superiority and will form up close relationships with senior staff secretly while others just keep their heads down and try to avoid that back stabbing. There will be cliques.

One can obtain an alcohol license or drink at the Danat Hotel at a price. The Danat is about 10 minutes drive (through the security gates at the entrance to the Ruwais Housing Complex) and has gym and recreational facilities. You will usually find a few other like minded people there and after a drink or two even those who don't gossip will freely talk about colleagues.

Housing is generally fine and yes, if one shares accomodation one will receive a sharing allowance of 4,000 AED as well as the 1500 AED that one is paid as a remote allowance. Some people get on with hosemates, some less so.

If you drive there are pleasant beaches close by and places to explore. Shopping is ok but most travel to Abu Dhabi regularly (you will probably get sick of the drive) for shopping and entertainment. There is a new mall almost complete which will offer facilities but don't hold your breath or expect too much. For Ruwais it will transform the shopping experience but that says more about current facilities.

I don't know many who would choose to work in Ruwais if it wasnt for the remote allowance and sharing allowance unless they were desperate. Many are couples who are raking in the cash and therefore once here they accept the place for what it is.

I personally would not easily enrol my own children in either the ES or HS here (or at any of the campuses) but that would be a personal choice. Many teachers do just that and are happy (while they rake in the cash).

The proximity of the industrial complexes, the common smell of sulphur during the summer months especially and the likely exposure to all sorts of substances that you really don' want to think about are all part of making teaching in Ruwais what it is. Some love it, some hate it, but all go home a little (or a lot) richer than they came.

If you don't need the money think twice (or three times). If you are a free spirit and want to sample all that life and the Earth has to offer before you die, including the weird stuff then give it a go perhaps.

I am here. I will leave when my contract is up for somewhere pleasant and enjoyable with a little less sand.

ps. the students are probably among the nicest, hard working and most rewarding you will find anywhere.
PsychBean

Thank you

Post by PsychBean »

Wow, Teachgirl thank you. That was a very good comprehensive answer. One of my main concerns would be my son attending the ES and bullying. Yes I am a free spirit but I will continue to keep all the options open. I know of a couple of colleagues going a male/female couple I think they will share housing if that is allowed. I am just still exploring.

Thank you again.
Teachergirl

Post by Teachergirl »

psychbean

I would not be concerned about bullying in the ES.

Your colleagues will not be allowed to share unless they are married, and if they are married then they will be given married couple accomodation.

At the annual staff dinner in Ruwais it was announced that salary/allowance packages are to be reviewed so the sharing allowance may not remain in it's current form for September 2013. Even if the allowance is stated in an offer it should not be assumed that the allowance will be paid as promised on arrival.
christeacher

Glenelg

Post by christeacher »

What about Madinat Zayed ? has anyone know anything about this campus?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Teachergirl"]psychbean

I would not be concerned about bullying in the ES.

Your colleagues will not be allowed to share unless they are married, and if they are married then they will be given married couple accomodation.

At the annual staff dinner in Ruwais it was announced that salary/allowance packages are to be reviewed so the sharing allowance may not remain in it's current form for September 2013. Even if the allowance is stated in an offer it should not be assumed that the allowance will be paid as promised on arrival.[/quote]

Thanks Teachergirl!

No my colleagues are not married but I think they were under the impression that they could share.... But they were promised that they would have the $$ incentives if they did share with someone.

I am glad to know that bullying is not an issue. Now with it being a bilingual school are the students at grade level? At my school they are not. They are atleast 2 years behind... So this time around I need to consider my child receiving a challenging academic program.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Hey Teachgirl,

I'd like to know more about elementary. I am glad to know there isn't bullying. So that are accepting of American kids?? How long is the school day? Do you have extended hours? Does everyone drive? If not how do you get to work? Are there after school activities for the kids? What's the level of education? I now pay a teacher to keep my child on track...

I wish PM worked on these boards...
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Where is Teachgirl. I'd like some more info there isn't much out there about Ruwais...hellllllp. :-). :P