What is the best country and school in the middle-east?

heyteach

Re: Comment

Post by heyteach »

Note the wording:

[quote="PsyGuy"]@Dawson

Yes, Ive been to a couple.[/quote]

He's "been to a couple;" he only *lived*--for six weeks--in Egypt.

[/quote] You sound like a cheerleader. I dont pay much attention to ME cheerleaders.[/quote]

A term he uses to soothe himself that he's right, and the dozens who post positive experiences are wrong.

[/quote]They always try to oversell their schools and region.[/quote]

As do all who like where they're at.

[/quote]Either they hype ordinary activities, or they ignoire all the negatives, [/quote]

Certainly we enjoy many more activities than drinking, chasing women, or reading Cosmo, which seem to be the only things he likes to do. All of which seem rather ordinary. Certainly there are irritations and negatives that we face living outside our home countries--there always are. But that's why we're here, to experience a different way of life. And certainly we are made of stronger stuff than he, who breaks contract and runs away when things don't go his way, then nurses a grudge for years.

[/quote]while dismissing the realities, such as ME schools makeup the bulk of late recruiting fairs, and that at the big fairs their are never lines for those schools (except Aramco).[/quote]

Probably because of the likes of people like him--ignorant, lacking in critical thinking skills, immature, unable to persevere under sometimes difficult circumstances--spouting platitudes about the ME.
Cindylouwho

Post by Cindylouwho »

fine dude--pure word of mouth info, but of the 3, ABS pays the least. Locally, it's very well respected.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Egypt was certainly the longest, though not the only experience. 6 weeks was 5 weeks, longer then needed.

Dozens is right and also the cheerleaders there are. Go to any of the big fairs and there will be lines for lower tier EUR schools and the ME lines with the exception of Aramco will be non existent.

There are no better activities then drinking and chasing woman except for the invariable activity that occurs after enough drinking and you catch said woman (or women, I dont judge).

"negatives and irritations", again more dismissive rhetoric for avoiding the very real discussion and realities of the utter suckyness of living in the ME. The cheerleaders describe walking and sleeping in sand as "desert camping" I call it getting too drunk to get home and passing in a sandbox at a play ground.
The vast majority of "Wide and varied activities" that involve shopping (which you can do anywhere) and eating out (and the regional food typically involves uninspired forms of grilled meat) all very ordinary things to do.

I am not a masochist, i see ZERO value in suffering for whats written on a piece of paper. When confronted by changing variable, i maintain the cognitive mailability to change actions when presented with a changing environment. Those who refuse to adapt in a varying and changing environment are just stupidly stubborn for the sake of principal.

The captain going down with their ship may be a romantic and noble tradition, but drowning is drowning, regardless of how much "character" you take with you.
Dawson

Re: Discussion

Post by Dawson »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Egypt was certainly the longest, though not the only experience. 6 weeks was 5 weeks, longer then needed.

"negatives and irritations", again more dismissive rhetoric for avoiding the very real discussion and realities of the utter suckyness of living in the ME.

It would be spelled "suckiness" if that is even a word. Are you really a teacher? How embarassing!!! Six weeks in Egypt and you consider yourself an expert. That would be comical, except for the sad fact that some people might actually believe your tripe. So you couldn't hack it for a whole year. Six weeks - are you freakin' kidding me? You think that makes you an expert? That is truly pathetic. Get a life dude, seriously! You post on every single topic on here. Troll anyone?
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

"The vast majority of "Wide and varied activities" that involve shopping (which you can do anywhere) and eating out (and the regional food typically involves uninspired forms of grilled meat) all very ordinary things to do."

Psyguy, for the benefit of prospective international school teachers, why don't you provide a list of activities you require/desire in a city/contry?
noseyparker

Post by noseyparker »

Thought I would join in this particular squabble.
I am in the ME. It's ok. Like virtually everywhere else, it is what you make it. I do not think it is a slough of "utter suckiness" as suggested by our old friend psyguy, nor is it paradise on earth.
My major caveat would be that you go to a proper school. National schools are indeed the epitome of suckiness. If you manage to get a job at one of the decent Omani schools, ASD/QA etc in Doha, or the established schools in the UAE, especially ASDubai then you will find not only money but great colleagues and multiple opportunities.
It has been good for us. When there is a lot of money knocking around then IB training is often within your grasp. In addition, our kids have had some tremendous opportunities. We pay for our mortgage and have saved, on average 35,000+ USD a year, despite some spectacular travel.
Our school has properly recruited admin (not someone's brother-in-law!) and properly credentialed staff. Despite having quite a few folks who have been here 6-13 years, the school is not backward or stuck in the mud. These are the sorts of things you need to ask about at interview. If all you do is look at the tax free status and the bottom line, then you deserve everything you get. Especially if you move here with kids.
I think the single hardest thing to get your head around is the culture. It is easy to sneer at Arabic culture, heaven knows I have moaned about it enough myself, but it is an inescapable fact that it is very different to many other places. You HAVE to work around it. You have no choice. YES, it will seem sexist, yes, they take your passport away (for short stretches of time to get residents permits etc) so don't get all whingey about it. Research, research, ask, look on the net, join forums (!), question and think hard about what you really want. Every time I move to a different country I learn more about myself and what my family needs, but you never find the perfect spot. There will always be something that bites you in the bum, something you never expected. If you do your research, that something is more likely to be a minor cultural eye-brow raiser, rather than a contract that isn't worth the paper it is written on.
Here endeth the lesson! Thanks for listening.
kuwaitikid

Post by kuwaitikid »

A lot of nonsense spoken on this thread by people who are eminently unqualified to have an informed opinion on the Middle East (PsyGuy being the best example - I’ve lived and worked here for fifteen years and still don’t consider myself to be an expert,by any stretch of the imagination). I like noseyparker’s contribution and particularly the sentence [quote] It is easy to sneer at Arabic culture, heaven knows I have moaned about it enough myself, but it is an inescapable fact that it is very different to many other places.â€
Rob

Post by Rob »

I taught in Jordan a few years ago, and I loved it. The school I taught at gave all the new expat teachers a car, and although we paid the rent, it was very minimal, and the school handled the insurance. Weekend trips to the Dead Sea and Petra made living here a true experience. The school, American Community School, is small, a trust, and very well run. Being a little low on social security contributions, I contributed into it there. In the Middle East, definitely Jordan in my opinion was the best place to live.

I was in Alexandria, Egypt after that, and luckily it was before the trouble they are having now. I loved that experience also. I preferred Alexandria over Cairo with its European flavor to it. I cannot think of friendlier people than Egyptians. I also liked the fact the school paid into Social Security.

I also taught in Riyadh, SA, but that was in the mid 1970's, and the conditions there were different than now. Still, it was very difficult to make a Saudi friend.

Rob
Solo Flex

Re: What is the best country and school in the middle-east?

Post by Solo Flex »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Aramco is the only school organization i can recommend, and thats because your getting
> compensated to live in a "undesirable" hardship location. The rest of the ME is
> a hole.

PsyGuy, you have no business recomending schools in the Middle East, you're quite closed minded for an educator. Labelling the ME as a 'hole' is what's wrong in the world and you're part of it. I sure hope you're not in the classroom. You have lost integrity here. Rome, Paris, London, and Barcelona is not the world, you are a tourist. Get out of you comfort zone and actually see the world. Ride a local bus in Egypt because taking a cruise does not count. Drink tea in bedouin tent in Wadi Rum. Swim in the dead sea. Eat falafel in Jerusalem. Dive into a cave in Wadi Shab. Have a meal with a Palestinian family and realize how much we have in common. Hike for 3 days from Dana to Petra. But I think you'd rather be drinking with white Europeans at a Hard Rock Cafe or Starbucks in Paris and brag about being a world traveler. Collect your souvenir mugs and stick to what you know sir.
expatscot

Re: What is the best country and school in the middle-east?

Post by expatscot »

Solo Flex wrote:
> PsyGuy wrote:
> > Aramco is the only school organization i can recommend, and thats because your
> getting
> > compensated to live in a "undesirable" hardship location. The rest of
> the ME is
> > a hole.
>
> PsyGuy, you have no business recomending schools in the Middle East, you're quite
> closed minded for an educator. Labelling the ME as a 'hole' is what's wrong in the
> world and you're part of it. I sure hope you're not in the classroom. You have lost
> integrity here. Rome, Paris, London, and Barcelona is not the world, you are a
> tourist. Get out of you comfort zone and actually see the world. Ride a local bus
> in Egypt because taking a cruise does not count. Drink tea in bedouin tent in Wadi
> Rum. Swim in the dead sea. Eat falafel in Jerusalem. Dive into a cave in Wadi
> Shab. Have a meal with a Palestinian family and realize how much we have in common.
> Hike for 3 days from Dana to Petra. But I think you'd rather be drinking with white
> Europeans at a Hard Rock Cafe or Starbucks in Paris and brag about being a world
> traveler. Collect your souvenir mugs and stick to what you know sir.

But to defend Psyguy (though he doesn't really someone else to do it, TBH!) it's his opinion that the bad in the ME - the sexism, the rubbish (in Egypt, for example), the attitude towards work etc - outweighs the good things. That's his viewpoint, his experience, and he's perfectly justified in stating it. Some people don't like Europe.