What is the best country and school in the middle-east?

fine dude

What is the best country and school in the middle-east?

Post by fine dude »

I came to know that a few teacher-colleagues of mine are relocating to the middle-east for the next school year. I was wondering if there is a country out there that can offer good lifestyle and solid savings?

If yes, what countries and schools would you recommend? We are a teacher-couple (both certified and experienced in high-need subjects) and we would prefer an IB school. We're not much into shopping, but would love to go to the cinemas or travel around a bit. Of course, this question has been asked several times and if you don't mind, I would like to hear from teachers with genuine experiences or information from this part of the world.

Thanks a bunch!
Mike

Post by Mike »

We love our school!

The American School of Doha!!
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

You can save some coin in Kuwait but of the Arabian Gulf countries I'd rate it behind UAE, Oman, and Qatar but ahead of Saudi.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I would say from personal experience (or the experience of my friends) that I would rank the GCC countries:
1. UAE, but only Abu Dhabi (ACS) and Dubai (ASD)
2. Doha, Qatar: ASD, though I know a couple of people at one of the Qatar Foundation schools and they like it.
3. Oman/Saudi Arabia/Bahrain/Kuwait: I can't remember the names of the schools that my friends worked at, but none of them had overwhelmingly positive things to say.
I would also throw ACS in Amman, Jordan somewhere up on this list closer to the top.

Your personal goals and expectations might change the list a bit. If you're a married couple focusing on saving a ton of money, then Saudi might move up the list for you.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

First of all, Kuwait and Bahrain are very small countries, as is Qatar. Out of the three, I would likely work in Bahrain before Kuwait or Qatar. Most of the schools I know are American.

If I were in Bahrain, I would be going for Riffa Views. Lovely school, great facilities, and fairly new.

In Dubai, American School of Dubai is the best. Abu Dhabi is the American Community School.

Not too sure about Oman, although it is a place I would like to teach in one day.

Monkey says to discount Saudi (along with Kuwait/Bahrain, etc). However, I like Saudi better than Kuwait. Bigger, friendlier natives, and a lot to do in the cities (but the activities will never come to find you - you have to venture off your compound and find them!).

In Dammam/Al Khobar/Dhahran - ARAMCO is the best. ISG (International Schools Group) which runs several schools in the Eastern Province and one in Yanbu, is also a good system to work for. When I have visited, teachers are fairly happy, and if you are in the Eastern Province, Bahrain and movies, pork, and a real beer are just across the causeway.

In Riyadh, the American International School of Riyadh is good. Read the reviews carefully - while academically and student population-wise, the school is solid, the leadership has been questioned. But the package is pretty good, although the work/life balance is way out of whack.

The British School of Riyadh is also really good. It is on a lovely compound, solid students, and despite the recent reviews, teachers seem happy. Students and parents like it, that's for sure.

Multinational School is the other IS in Riyadh that is western. It is the school that will take in students who either couldn't get in to the other two because class cohorts were full, or couldn't make it at the other two, or who have certain special needs, or whose parents cannot afford the other two. It is definitely not as nice as the other two, but people I know from there didn't hate it or anything.

In Jeddah, there are three schools which stand out. The first is the British School - called Conti by teachers and parents here in Saudi. Teachers seemed happiest there, students were happy, it has a good vibe about it.

The second best is the American International School of Jeddah. It has had (and continues to have) its issues, but students do well coming out of it.

The third best is Jeddah Prep and Grammar School. Students are definitely 'rougher' at this one.

That said, being in Saudi there is a lot to do outside of the cities. People I know regularly 4x4 all over Saudi, meeting locals, seeing sights that you will never see anywhere else in the world. Many teachers and others have the impression that Saudi is all sand - but if you travel to areas like Baha, Asir, and Taif, you will see it is not exactly true - the greenery and farming is all over the place. In fact, Saudi produces more agricultural products than the other GCC states combined.

It is, however, not everybody's cup of tea, although the driving is improving, attitudes are slowly changing, and it is slowly opening up to the world. Most people hope King Abdullah steers things for another 10 years because after that it will be very hard to go backwards...
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Thank you all for your comprehensive replies. They sound very genuine!
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I attended school at Anglican International School, Jerusalem, and had a great time there--really excellent education, particularly for such a small school. However, I've heard that the benefits package is not really great considering the high cost of living.

I've also had friends who really loved Amman Community School--I've only heard good things about it. I had a wonderful time when I lived in Amman for a few years, though I wasn't teaching then. Wonderful climate, friendly people, lots of interesting historical sites. I almost fell off more than one Crusader castle or Roman ruin wall when I was having too much fun exploring them.

Could someone chime in on best schools in Egypt?
scribe

IB in Middle East

Post by scribe »

Not all the American schools listed offer IB, clarification for original poster. Doha does, neither Dubai nor ACS Abu Dhabi do, don't think Amman does either. All three of those are strong schools, however. There are also multiple decent for-profit IB schools in each place.
kuwaitikid

Post by kuwaitikid »

I've lived and worked in the Middle East for fifteen years now, so I suppose I should make a brief contribution. Kuwait, if you can secure employment at one of the better schools, it is by no means as bad as some people would have you believe, especially if you are into sports. I would argue the same applies to the other Gulf Countries but the problem is that there is a real dearth of good international schools. Oman and Jordan have more to offer in terms of lifestyle but even fewer good schools.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I think Riffa Views International School in Bahrain is one of the best. Full disclosure - I am a current teacher there (first year). The school is outstanding! It's small, only around 300 students up to grade 9, next year they will add grade 10, etc. We are currently undergoing the IB certification. New school (only five years old). The school is nicely designed (bright, airy, plenty of resources). The small size enables you to know the students well. Very collegial environment and bright, hardworking students. No wasta either, which I love even thought there are some very prominent families that attend there. I also happen to think one of the best things about it is it is non-profit so all the money goes right back into the school.

Bahrain is easy to live in. Don't let the protests scare you off. They are limited to certain areas (mostly villages) and often times you don't even know they are going on. Our director has said Bahrain is like "Middle East light". I like that and it is true. It's so westernized that often times you forget you are in the Middle East. You can drink alcohol and buy pork if you desire. At the same time you do have the culture here and can do more "Arabic" type of things. The people are also friendly and don't look down on others as much as in other areas.

The only other country I taught internationally in was Kuwait and it was just for one year. I would NOT recommend Kuwait to anyone. To many problems. The Kuwaitis are all about money and think they are better than anyone else because they have oil. Even other GCC countries don't especially like them. Even though they have money they don't put anything into infrastructure so it's a huge dump there.

So in conclusion, I think Bahrain is tops (you can easily travel all over the region from here). From other friends in the region I'd say Oman is quite nice and safe. I think Dubai is best left for weekend trips and not to teach there, but that's just me. I also wouldn't mind Jordan. Saudi Aramco schools are also fantastic. Since it's an oil company the salaries are huge! The only problem is noboby ever leaves there so it's very difficult to get in.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Aramco is the only school organization i can recommend, and thats because your getting compensated to live in a "undesirable" hardship location. The rest of the ME is a hole.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindylouwho

Post by Cindylouwho »

I love Jordan. Several good schools to teach at including ACS, King's Academy, ABS, etc. Wonderful people and climate. Newly opened airport that is easy to get to. Lot's to see and do in the region, but close enough (and lots of direct flights) to Europe.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@cindylouwho
How good is the pay / saving potential at ABS, Jordan? Thank you.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

PsyGuy: That's a pretty broad stroke you're painting with! Have you lived in numerous Middle East countries? From your previous posts it's obvious you have a grudge against the Middle East. To the OP, I wouldn't pay too much attention to him.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Dawson

Yes, Ive been to a couple.

Yes its a pretty broad stroke, i use a big brush when painting a whole region.

Yes, i have a grudge, its a well earned and deserved grudge.

You sound like a cheerleader. I dont pay much attention to ME cheerleaders. They always try to oversell their schools and region. Either they hype ordinary activities, or they ignoire all the negatives, while dismissing the realities, such as ME schools makeup the bulk of late recruiting fairs, and that at the big fairs their are never lines for those schools (except Aramco).