Abu Dhabi or Dubai

Portrait

Abu Dhabi or Dubai

Post by Portrait »

Abu Dhabi or Dubai?
Thoughts please
inman

Post by inman »

Personally, I liked living in Abu Dhabi and would choose there over Dubai. Dubai's definitely a better holiday destination and there's a lot going on, but to me, Abu Dhabi is more livable and nicer for getting around. The great thing is that if you get bored in Abu Dhabi then Dubai is only an hour (and 10 minutes) down the road, and there are many reasonably priced hotels if you want to make a weekend out of it. You don't often hear of people getting bored in Dubai and then going to Abu Dhabi for weekends, but I think you'll find many that have a similar perspective to mine.

School wise, there are a lot of schools in both places. Dubai has more choice of decent schools than Abu Dhabi, but there are a lot more schools in Dubai anyway. Abu Dhabi does have some very good schools. To be honest, for a first job overseas neither of these places will be bad. I think the UAE is a very easy place for a first international job (providing you're in Abu Dhabi or Dubai). The big thing to look out for in the UAE is that although Abu Dhabi and Dubai are good, and there are some good schools in these places, there are also a lot of schools that you really wouldn't want to work at. Your quality of life at your school will affect your whole perspective. In my opinion, in the UAE choosing school is more important than choosing city.

All the best,

Inman.
Portrait

Post by Portrait »

Thank you.

That is very useful explanation and comparison of two places.

However, in terms of your last point, that is the crux of the problem, knowing which schools to go for and which to avoid.

The Reviews on here can actually be unhelpful as opposed to helpful and enlightening, although I am beginning to discern between the Grumpsters and the Aggressors!

Thanks again for your help.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hmmm....yesterday, I made a post that one was one word and the other was two words.

Today it is gone. Oh well - Dubai is tourist central. Prices are higher, but there is more to do.

Abu Dhabi is more real, and developing rapidly. However it is not as touristy (and therefore pricey) as Dubai.

Either one is a good choice for entry into the ME world of teaching.

Either one has great connections to everywhere in the world - Etihad (Abu Dhabi airlines) is really coming on in its competition with Emirates, after being the lesser airline.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I agree with Shadowjack that either city could be a good location, so long as you're at a decent school. Remember that 99% of all int'l schools in both cities will be for-profit.

I personally would go with Dubai only because of the housing situation. Dubai is bigger and there's lots of on-going construction, so housing is plentiful. From what I've heard/read, many teachers in Abu Dhabi are expected to share housing or forced into it because their housing allowance doesn't cover an apartment. Now if I were hired by an Abu Dhabi school that made it possible for me to live on my own, I could see myself living there.
inman

Post by inman »

Housing can be a VERY big deal in Abu Dhabi. In my opinion, if a school asks people to share apartments then this is an indication of the kind of cost cutting measures you'll see throughout your time there. I would never work at a school where I needed to share apartments. When I was in my mid 20's then maybe, but not now. To be honest, I wouldn't even consider working at a school in the UAE if the housing wasn't provided, at least for the first year. If you get an option of a housing allowance after that then that's cool, as you already know the place by then and have had a chance to look around, but for the first year I would want to be taken from the airport straight to an apartment that will be mine. No deposits, no hassle, just my apartment. I understand that people in other areas where housing is ridiculously expensive have similar perspectives. Apartments in Dubai are much cheaper than Abu Dhabi, and there's more choice in Dubai, so there are often many issues in Dubai. Either way though, if you're moving to the UAE you'll want to know that your apartment is provided and decent.

P.S, Shadowjack, I read your first response saying "one was one word and the other was two words". Very weird that it's not there anymore.