Good Schools/Less Good Schools in Dubai

Portrait

Good Schools/Less Good Schools in Dubai

Post by Portrait »

Could I ask for advice re. good schools that would be a joy, or enjoyable, to work in and schools that ought to be avoided.
I am Primary and wish to teach UK or similar curriculum.
I am interested in all aspects of schools, e.g. students, class sizes, good management and admin, facilities, PD, salary and benefits & location.
I know it is a lot to ask, but it is so hard to know if one has never taught internationally before.
And the reviews are terrifying me and making me feel very disheartened.
Thank you
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

You're asking an extremely broad question. There are over thousands of international schools in the world with different curricula and so forth. You need to do the following before delving into the international school sphere :

1. KNOW THYSELF : A lot of newbies go for the " adventure " at first, without realising or even taking the time what they really need or want or like as a person in regards to something as simple as " geographical location ". For example, can you stand 40 - 50 degree celcius weather all year around and don't mind not seeing trees and greenery for a bit? If this is your type of place, then the Middle East ( esp. Kuwait or Saudi ) would be your type of area to move in. Now, this may seem " unimportant " but it actually IS the most important thing. In order to acclimatise to a new country, your body has to be ready / healthy for it bc if it's not, then you will not be mentally prepared to take on harder situations ( i.e. CULTURAL -> For example, this alone can affect how students SEE or REACT to your classroom management. ).

To put it simply : You have to be REALISTIC with what your personality / character can take. Many newbies, in desperation for a job abroad, will say to themselves, " Yeah, I GUESS I can live in extremely hot weather without any greenery ( or vice versa ) "...without really taking into account that something as " simple " as weather can affect the psyche when it comes to acclimatising culturally and geographically. One needs to be healthy ( physically, emotionally and mentally ) to understake an international post.

2. KNOW THE COUNTRY : For obvious reasons, you have to be aware of the cultural implications.

3. ONCE YOU DELVE / THINK ABOUT 1 & 2 ABOVE : NARROW THE PLACES DOWN ACCORDING TO CERTAIN COUNTRIES.

4. RESEARCH THE COUNTRY. NARROW IT DOWN SOME MORE.

5. RESEARCH THE SCHOOLS IN THOSE SPECIFIC COUNTRIES.
For example, when I started out in the international school sphere around 6 years ago, I narrowed down my choices to Asia and Europe. I chose Asia bc the economy was booming around 6 years ago ( and still continues - with other tinier countries becoming " Asian tiger cubs " in the economic talk ). I landed a great position at one of the top-tier schools in Tokyo ( which is rare for a " newbie " ). I did very well and until recently, I got offered another position at the top international school in Tokyo. Tokyo / Japan is FABULOUS.

I can honestly say that with a few more years here in Tokyo, then I can move to Europe....bc by then, I will have enough capital ( I saved an insane amount of money in Japan ) not to worry so much about taxation.

6. BE OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING IDEAS :
a) EVERY international school ( no matter how " great " or " top tier " ) has its challenges and quirks that YOU may not be happy with. Learn to accommodate without sacrificing who you are as a person and an educator. You have to master the concept of " balance ".
b) YOU CAN SAVE HEAPS OF MONEY : Depending on how you live.
c) YOU WILL HAVE AN ADVENTUROUS LIFE
d) YOU WILL HAVE CHALLENGES IN THE COUNTRY : Not all countries are as " efficient " as North America or Europe...OR...you might even find that some countries take " efficiency " to a whole new, robotic level ( e.g. Japan, Singapore, Norway, Finland ). Be prepared to have your beliefs shattered and reinvented.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

I apologise : I didn't realise that you already narrowed down your choices to " Dubai ". However, take the other points of my post as advice or tips on acclimatising :)
Portrait

Post by Portrait »

Mbovi

Thank you so much for that really thoughtful and considered reply. It never ceases to surprise me how kind people can be on Forums like this one. It was especially helpful to have advice from a different and thought provoking angle, e.g. climate/character. And I will think about things slightly differently as a result.

Yes, I am new to all this, but not new to Teaching itself. So, I am a bit of a mix on the Newbie front.

I have settled on Asia. Would love Europe, but can't do the taxation since I still have financial commitments in the UK. So Asia it is. And ME seems the best place to start, because for various reasons I don't want to do China.

I have been offered a Post, but have not accepted it as of yet [although this is not in ME] and am most likely not to, since, as I said, I realise that ME would be better for me for all sorts of reasons.

I am late in the application process and that is why I am fretting about good schools/not so good schools. It is so hard to know what an individual school is really like and the Posts on the Review bit on here really freak me out.

Anyway, I am beginning to ramble and repeat myself!

Thank you.