Lots of schools in Ho Chi Minh City!

grumpy

Lots of schools in Ho Chi Minh City!

Post by grumpy »

Hi. I would like to know what others might share about the good and the bad of the various schools in HCMC Vietnam. Is there a preferred district to live in or are there areas and schools to absolutely avoid? I am somewhat amazed at the number of schools there and assume competition must be relatively fierce for "customers".

Many thanks for the inside scoop....
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Avoid American International School of HCMC. They are total scoundrels and an example of why teachers should screw schools before schools screw teachers.

Also Vietnam in general seems to be a place where workers are run rough shod over. I don't think contracts mean much there.

On the other, Vietnamese students were probably the best I ever had - smart, hard working, very polite and appreciative. It just amazes me that Vietnamese kids grow up into the type of people Vietnamese adults seem to be: ruthless and money hungry. Also, HCMC was very pleasant to live in. I forget where I was at but they were all Vietnamese and it was vibrant.

I miss HCMC!
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Hi Grumpy

Best to do a forum search and read the reviews in the pay part of the site.

You are right about the number of schools chasing customers
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

AnnieT. Yes, I have done that. I just wanted to pose the question to those who may be in the know to get some current information. Already working. These reviews often seem to be written by people with a bee in their bonnet about something in particular that happened to them a couple of years ago which may be meaningless for the grumpster now.
Whatnow

Post by Whatnow »

There are indeed many schools in Saigon, and, unfortunately, most are aggressively for profit. Heed the warnings in the reviews; yes, some are written by disgruntled teachers but others are motivated by genuine concern for teaching colleagues. It is a pity, because living in HCM is amazing, but, like many international destinations, your school will be a big part of your life, and those who are uncomfortable with the concept of using education as a means to make money will struggle in many of these schools.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Cognita "seems" profit driven and ISHCMC is a part of the Cognita group. There is an obvious conclusion to be drawn there.
PermanentXpat

Post by PermanentXpat »

An interesting way to learn a lot about a school is to ask what the nationality percentages are. Most for profit schools in HCMC will be predominantly Vietnamese or Korean in their student body. That's not a bad thing at all as those kids are generally motivated students. But, it does show that other international families are not putting their children in those schools.

As for where to live, it will really depend on where the school is and how far you're willing to travel. District 2 and District 7 have many expat families. District 7, Phu My Hung, in particular, almost doesn't feel like being in Vietnam . . . except for the traffic!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The only really good top tier school in Vietnam is the UN school in Hanoi. Otherwise i would echo the opinions of the previous posters. Most schools are either for profit, or non profit in name only. Contracts dont mean much in Vietnam. Your contract isnt even enforceable until you arrive in country and have your documents approved by immigration. Afterwords if you do run into trouble there are practically zero protections and schools know that your only real options will be to take what they give you and leave the country. The agencies wont help you either, because these schools have high turnover which means lots of positions and lots of fees for the agencies.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Thanks for the info. All great. I am interested as to why the UNIS in Hanoi gets top tier rating by PsyGuy, reading the reviews, this school has just as many problems as any other. It does seem to pay better though, which is a big factor.

My previous school was mostly local nationals and the students were incredible. Having said that, the level of English among the student population was poor compared to the other international schools. I would take that though.

Any further comments about social aspects of Vietnam, ease of travel within the country (I have heard domestic flights are comparatively expensive) and around SE Asia would be appreciated. THANKS to all who have posted.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Even the best schools have negative reviews. In this particular barrel of apples that is Vietnam, the UN school in Hanoi is the highest ranked.
bwatts

Post by bwatts »

Can anyone elaborate on some of the pros and cons of the true international schools in Ho Chi Minh? Despite most seeming to be profit making schools, surely there must be some good ones based on the sheer number of expats who seem to live there??
Teal

Post by Teal »

I worked at SSIS in HCMC and loved it. While a corporation owns it, it truly is run as a not-for-profit. The school has a 20% cap on any one nationality. While three nations (Vietnam, Korea, US) make us about 60% of the student body, the other 40% are from 33 other nations.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

UNIS Hanoi

British International School (Ho Chi Minh City)

Saigon South International School

Do not bother with any other school in this country. Amazing place...absolutely shameful schools.

Good luck.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

AIS has one of the lowest packages in HCMC, many staff are earning less than 3000 USD per month.

Warning point for me is that the pay is 100% in VND.