Lots of schools in Ho Chi Minh City!

grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Uhm, Who is KAK???
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

And psyguy, calling out a country as a place for beginners and the desperate is fairly rude and not productive. I doubt that it is even true. Be nice.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

[quote="grumpy"]Uhm, Who is KAK???[/quote]

There was a poster called KAK on this thread who was asking for info about many different schools and then claimimg to have friends in the school who knew better than me about schools in HCMC.

The last post from KAK claimed that he? had been working abroard doing humanitarian work for 20 years and that they had a job with DoDEA.

Now all posts by KAK have disapeared
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

[quote="grumpy"]Uhm, Who is KAK???[/quote]

There was a poster called KAK on this thread who was asking for info about many different schools and then claimimg to have friends in the school who knew better than me about schools in HCMC.

The last post from KAK claimed that he? had been working abroard doing humanitarian work for 20 years and that they had a job with DoDEA.

Now all posts by KAK have disapeared
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

So good it posted twice
albert49

Post by albert49 »

Teal might know about where faculty came from if he/she was at SSIS because the school publishes the information on newly hired teachers internally to the current faculty each year.

Current employees include teachers and administrators who previously taught or were administrators at: Singapore American School, Hong Kong International School, Shanghai American School, The American School in Japan, International School of Beijing, American School of Doha, and International School of Bangkok.

Next year they will be joined by teachers from the International School of Kuala Lumpur, the American School of Dubai, and another teacher from Hong Kong International School. I know this because I am at SSIS now and, yes, I am an administrator here. I came to SSIS having previously worked in two very established Asian schools (some use the term “tier 1â€
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

I am going to Vietnam and every one of the new colleagues I have spoken to so far seem like "Tier 1" educators and are coming from excellent schools. I do not feel that I am going into a second-rate country or school. Only time will tell. Albert49, I appreciated what you had to say.
Teal

Post by Teal »

Albert49 is correct. And no, I am not and was not admin, just a teacher. Knowing others, we talk and we talk about past school experiences. Albert is also correct about the internal postings for new hires and all staff. It is not limited to just one teacher that "had" to leave either. Thanks Albert!

No, the money is not that of ISB or other "T1" schools. I never said it was. I believe there is more to life and schools than just the benefits package. I loved SSIS. It has a great philosophy which includes "Balance in Life" and that is a hard one to accomplish for many of us even as adults. There isn't a school out there that is perfect for everyone. Not everyone likes SSIS but most do. Most IS teachers move on for many different reasons and mine was not because I disliked the school or any other negative.

I spoke up because I don't like the bashing that takes place on this forum and the outright misinformation especially when the school is a very good one. To put down all the schools in entire country and to insult everyone that works at every school there except one is wrong.

On a forum such as this, people are reading what you say and making decisions using this information. Hopefully they are using a lots of grains of salt when it comes to the weight of information from this forum. I know there are posters who I respect for their straightforward words and their insights that are shared with consideration of others and are limited to what they actually have experienced. The negative, bash everything, I know it all posters show their true colors if you read enough posts over time. I know to ignore them but not everyone does. If you look at the stats, there ratio of lurkers to posters is huge.
Teal

Post by Teal »

I want to add that the thoughtful, respectful posts with lots of information have been very helpful over the years as I search for jobs. This forum has a positive and useful side that I hope continues.

Thanks to all the good posters for sharing information with all of us as we work overseas. It does make a difference.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Gee an admin we should believe based on their claim claim of "trust me". Ive never heard that before.

Sorry no dont buy it, no one leaves a top tier elite school like ASIJ, etc for a second tier school like South unless they have to/need to.

Yes i know our readership relies to varying degrees on the posts from our contributors, thats why i participate on this forum, to protect new teachers from predatory admins and their sales pitch and smoke and mirrors.

Life balance, blah, blah. thats sales and advertising. Heres how you balance life: you work so that you can afford to do the things you really want to do. Work isnt an amusement park, its not supposed to be balanced, its supposed to be. If your school has to sell you on work balance, it means they are going to require you to do a lot of work. You dont need a "work/life balance" campaign if your teachers only have to teach 3 hours a day 4 days a week. Taht type of 'work" sells its self when it comes to "balance".

Of course its about the compensation package, thats why its called work, if it was entertainment the teachers would be paying you, not you paying them.
albert49

Post by albert49 »

For some strange reason, I find myself humming the words from an old Doobie Brothers song this morning . . .

"But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away . . ."
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

[quote="albert49"]For some strange reason, I find myself humming the words from an old Doobie Brothers song this morning . . .

"But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away . . ."[/quote]

It did not take long for Albert to prove he is a member of admin in SSIS, there is no need for personal abuse here Albert, you are not talking (down) to your own teachers here.

This has been an interesting thread, first we had a made-up poster called KAK who had contacts in almost every HCMC school and knew that they were all good. And now we have 2 school admins saying how good HCMC is.

Remember people, if they are posting and using sock-puppets on the forum, then they are almost certainly posting reviews on the pay site as well.

I feel that I should finish on a positive. My opinion of SSIS.

They are not as bad as RISS
albert49

Post by albert49 »

No personal abuse intended, although being accused of lying and using "smoke and mirrors" seems far more intentional. Perhaps I'm guilty of a failed attempt at a bit of humor.

I don't suppose your reply, AnnieT, could in any way be construed as abusive or being negative in nature.
Enough said.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Teal

Post by Teal »

Psyguy,

It is amazing to me that everyone is to believe that all that you post is the TRUTH because you posted it and anything contrary is false because it disagrees or even contradicts you. We are to believe you yet you cannot extend that to others. You seem to have opinions on pretty much every issue. How is it that any one person who works full time and does it with any rigor or fidelity has the time to post so much and know so much.

Not all admins and schools are bad or worthless even if they are in the countries you seems to hate, which I might add is a very long list given you are an international teacher. My approach to international teaching includes adaptability, tolerance, multicultural acceptance, and respectfulness. It saddens me that as an Intnl teacher you must always be right, must always have an opinion and that it often results in putting others down and disrespecting them or whole nations or regions of the world.

And on a last note, there are wonderful and honest admins out there. I am it one nor am I related to or married or otherwise involved with one. There are good and bad admins, just as there are good and bad teachers.