High School Math Teachers (Question)

CaliPro

High School Math Teachers (Question)

Post by CaliPro »

What publication does your school / curriculum use?

It was my first day at my host school (observations / student teaching) and their school used Haese IB books along with Glencoe books.

I am looking to stock up on some good books. Pretty much re-teaching myself everything from the ground up. Which books would you guys recommend me to buy or any other advice or resources I could use to help?
SushiBreakfast

Post by SushiBreakfast »

Haese is popular, but a bit on the easy side. The Oxford books are nice as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by re-teaching yourself... If you are qualified to teach IB Math (SL or HL), then you will not need to re-teach yourself much of anything. This is equivalent to saying that if you need to re-teach yourself much of anything from an IB Math course, then you are not qualified to teach it.

Do you have a math degree?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

What I mean is, I am doing a ACP (alternative certification program) and will be taking the Secondary / High School Mathematics License Exam at the conclusion of my program with the intent to get a job as a math teacher (preferably IB).

MY Uni degree is in Business and ive not had math in quite the time, so I am / will re-teach myself everything that I forgot.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Forget text books, your exam wont necessarily be aligned to any particular classroom textbook. If there isnt a specific study guide for your exam (I know there are plenty for the Praxis exams) and you dont want to start with one of them anyway, then id get some math specific (Algebra, Geometry, Calculus) books from the "Dummies" or "Idiots" series.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I know the test isnt from any book. Florida actually gives a pretty good break down of what will be on the test / what you are expected to learn.

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/Math6-12_ ... 050610.pdf

I bought a study guide specifically for the Florida 6-12 mathematics but im looking to supplement that with some other books.

As of now I am gonna get all the Dummie books (algebra, geometry, trig, and calculus) along with the Haese IB books.

All that along with the internet resources like KhansAcademy and I should be set.