Curious- is there a demand for guidance counselors abroad?

PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="interteach"]Your privilege is showing PsyGuy.

Attending an expensive private school doesn't act as an inoculation against mental health issues. Minor issues crop up all the time, and when it comes to major mental illness where the causes often have a genetic link - well, your assertions just become as offensive as misinformed.

As in international school veteran here are some of the issues I've had brought to my attention from school counselors: major depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, borderline personality disorder, OCD, Tourrettes, Asperger's, and even early schizophrenia. Yeah, this is just student management. International counselors don't treat these, but they sure do play a role in helping these students. And then they often have to deal with less-serious problems that are still very serious and their rich parents don't want to hear about. Just like you, it seems.

Just why do you teach?[/quote]

@interteach I would like to "piggy back" on your statements. I won't refer to the ignorant statements. My school has several counselors, one for each school. We also deal with Anorexia, Borderline personality, anorexia, depression, bipolar, aspergers, tourrettes and oppositional defiance disorders. The counselors are tasked with working with these students, on occasion I am asked to step in and help. On occasion I also work with doctors by giving information to support diagnosis or make recommendations when wrong meds are given. The field is vast and mental illness is not an anomaly but common when dealing with a large population of students. Also with consanguineous marriage.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

[quote="interteach"]

School counselors overseas work with usually a larger amount of problem-focused emotional/behavioral issues than their counterparts in host countries due to language issues and lack of providers. In many countries, issues that may be referred out in a home country environment are handled in house due to lack of community resources as long as the counselor knows the issue does not go beyond their ability.

The counselors at our school say they prefer working overseas since they get to do more actual counseling than they would get to do in the US but they hate it when they come up against a serious issue they can't handle and can't refer out with much hope of success.

Any international school that asks counselors to manage students is a substandard school. No wonder that's PsyGuy's view of the job.[/quote]

@interteach

Thank you. I don't think I've ever had to deal w/ student management (scheduling, discipline, etc.) in my current post (principals and vices) take the lead with that. I think I am very lucky for that. You just nailed what many of us are fortunate enough to take on right on the head. I am grateful for the experience working at a therapeutic program before - it definitely makes my job a whole hell of a lot easier now. It helps me and the staff recognize what's a "problem" and a "PROBLEM".