Need info about china job! Please help

clvaughn

Need info about china job! Please help

Post by clvaughn »

I've been offered a job at Beijing Huijia IB Private School for the next school year. I interviewed with them at TESOL in Dallas and it seemed like a good gig. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the school or the Changping area of Beijing.

Also, they offered my 16,000 RMB/Month, but that is only the low end of the pay scale (between 15000-22000) Can I negotiate for a higher salary? How should i negotiate (or where could I find info to give tips).

Advice, Opinions, and Expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Changping is ok, but will get boring quickly. You can only negotiate higher if you have a lot of experience. My advice is to check the contracted time, it is probably not a whole year
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They are a third tier school, and the money is below the basement for an IS. Its decent ELL money though, and your getting IB experience, which for someone new and without it, is a decent trade for what amounts to a crummy gig.

You can negotiate, but unless you really have something to bring to the table your not going to do much better. Their pay scale is deceptive though, only admins really approach the top of the scale. Most teachers get and stay right around the 15K RMB mark, as no one really stays around past their initial contract.

Changping is a very boring region, and there is very little to do outside grabbing some beers on the weekend. Some people like that, but you will be itching to get to Beijing proper better over the weekends.